Other features: L-shape; full pediment gable; arched fan lunette vent, center-recessed pilasters; windows have plain corner blocks; arcade Italianate porch & rear additions, original door surround.
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Excellent, high style Greek Revival design, complemented by strong Italianate porch. Compare neighbors #104 and #112 Main street.
Amos Abbott had a store next door at 112 Main St. After Amos died his family estate executor Alfred A. Abbott sold the property to Charles A. Peabody on April 30,1869. The Peabody family held the property for 50 years selling in April 1919 to Hiland F. & Marie L. Holt. The property was sold with, "the right to take water from the well on the south side of the land." In 1924 John E. Burgess and Catherine W. Combs, as joint tenants purchased the house. They married and Catherine Burgess opened the "Copley Candy Store" shortly after in the home. The Burgess John retired and then helped with the store which closed in the 1930's.
Anna L. Marland purchased the property in May 1945 and sisters Charlotte A., Edna L. and Laura N. Marland opened a school for young children pre-primary up to 8th grade. They had about 20 students enrolled in 1959. In 1965 the school was still running with Edna & Laura as teachers. The Marland sisters enclosed the front porch with floor to ceiling windows expanding the space for Charlotte Marland's gift shop. They also took in boarders and in 1965 Kenneth W. MacDonald, b. 1895 retires, Moses C. Milnes 1886 retired and George G. Potier 1911 a machine shop proprietor were all renting rooms in the house. In 1978 the property was sold and some updating was done converting the house into apartments. The glass enclosure on the front porch was removed at that time.
In 2013 the house was purchased by Louis Trumbore of Andover who restored the exterior of the house and updated the interior apartments.
1830 Amos Abbott
1850 Misses Peabody
1947 Directory Edna Marland - Marland School rear 106 Main St.
Charlotte Marland - gift shop 106 Main Street
1953 Charlotte Kindergarten teacher
1960-1965 Charlotte & Edna, still teaching
1961 'About the Town of Andover' League of Women Voters LWV - The Marland School
Pre-Primary through 8th grade 20 pupils enrollment in 1959
See historical photo files
See v. f. Main Street Jenkins article
Directories: 1926, 1932, 1943, 1953
Maps: 1852, 1872, 1884, 1896, 1906, 1930
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence
Essex Country Registry of Deeds, Salem
Amos Abbott -1830
Alfred A. Abbott extr. - 1869
Charles A. Peabody - Apr. 30, 1869 - b. 779 leaf 9, Salem
Charles A. Peabody estate - April 1919
Hiland F. & Maria L. Holt - Apr. 17, 1919 - b. 398 p. 136
Catherine W. Coombs & John E. Burgess - Apr. 29, 1924 - b. 499 p. 514
Catherine W. Burgess widow,
Anna L. Marland - May 18, 1945 - b. 673 p. 90
Anna L. Marland - Nov. 21, 1949 - bb. 729 p. 147 notice for deed correction
Anna L. Marland - Aug. 1, 1950 - b. 739 p. 373 - decree in favor
Oct. 5, 1978 - 54b. ? Pp. 221
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Amos Abbott House|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1840|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||porch, ell (late 19th century|
|Acreage||less than one acre; Approx. frontage: 40'|
|Setting||Approx. distance of building from street: 20'|
|Map and parcel||39-60|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero; Brian Lee, (cwo)|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||27 Feb 1980; July 1992|