141 - 143 Main Street

Architectural Description: 

NRDIS NRMRA

Style: Late Greek

Other features: double house with wide channelled corner pilasters; 3 fireplaces

Historical Narrative: 

Present owner *1977): Phillips Academy (5 Jul 1932)

Original owner:

Themes: Architectural, Community development, Education

Historical significance:
"Then a double house once owned by John E. Farnam, once occupied by Professor Churchill, and Professor Coy" (Farnam taxed for 1/2 house, 'Real Estate Valuation', 1900)
The double house at the SW corner of Main and Morton Streets is said to have been moved to this location from the campus of the Andover Theological Seminary. It was first used as the seminary commons or dining hall. It was moved from the hill to Main Street and converted into a double house prior to the Civil War. The property was divided in half between the center wall of the north and south tenements, each owned by individual owners. Not until 1930 were the two properties united again being purchased by one person George W. Moulton of Newburyport MA. Moulton then sold the combined properties to Henry S. Hooper who transferred ownership to the Trustees of Phillips Academy in 1932.

1850: "Now we cross Main Street to home of Deacon Albert Abbott and Spencer F. Beard, a double house. The last named kept Phillips Academy house? and they said he put the least minimum of meat in the hash". Emily Carter

George W. Moulton and Henry S. Hooper - later occupants.

Andover Townsman, 1890: " W. S. Jenkins having addition of two windows put on house occupied by Professor E. G. Coy - Hardy and Cole to do job."

Bibliography/References: 

Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Carter, Emily: "Walk up Main Street from Punchard to Wheeler in Year 1850"
"Andover Townsman", Jul 18, 1890

Double House -
Owners – North side on right # 141
William C. Rogers
George H. & Sarah H. Poor - Dec. 8, 1866 - b. 715 lf. 122 Salem deeds
John Wesley & Mary J. Churchill - Aug. 19, 1870 - b. 6 p. 502 Lawrence deeds
Grace M. Whitmore - Dec. 18, 1886 - b. 89 p. 103
William B. & Mary M. Baker - Oct. 4, 1919 - b. 408 p. 262
George W. Moulton - Oct. 17, 1930 - b. 555 p. 70
Henry S. Hooper - June 27, 1932 - b. 565 p. 337 two parcels
Trustees Of Phillips Academy June 27, 1932 - b. 565 p. 338

Owners – South side on left #143
William C. Rogers
Mary C. Rogers & Fits Wm. Rogers
Mary M. Davis - Aug. 1, 1864 - b. 672 lf. 221 Salem deeds
Mary M/ Davis estate - May 7, 1866 - surviving children
John E. Farnham - May 7, 1866 - heir of Davis
Morris D. Farnham & Susan L. Black - heirs of Farnham
Isabel H. Batchelder - Aug. 27, 1906 - b. 236 p. 317 Lawrence deeds
William H. Tracy - Sept. 27, 1912 - b. 322 p. 566
Wm. H. & Catherine Tracy - Sept. 20, 1920 - b. 431 p. 151
George W. Moulton - Oct. 15, 1930 - b. 555 p. 384
Henry S. Hooper - July 5, 1932 - b. 565 p. 338 two parcels
Trustees of Phillips Academy June 27, 1932 - b. 565 p. 338

Inventory Data:

StreetMain St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic NameCoy House
Present Useresidence - 2 family
Original UseBoy's dormitory and faculty house
Construction Datepre - 1850
SourceEmily Carter - Andover Historical society files
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood
Roofasphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresmodern garage
Major Alterationswindows added (1890) shed (1967)
Conditiongood
Acreageless than one acre; Lot size: 8,250 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage: 62'
Settingresidential
Map and parcel40-29
MHC NumberANV.348
Recorded byStack/Mofford (cwo), James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 3/2014

Map: