Other features: 8 fireplaces; wainscotting throughout
Original owner: Isaac Chandler. (Father-in-law of Carpenter, David Hidden)
Subsequent uses and dates: rental property and residence (1840's) - farm after 1861
Historical significance: Built on land owned by Chandlers, since first cleared by Philemon Chandler, blacksmith. William Chandler's "publick house" (1692 license) probably on property. Horseshoe was the inn's sign as Chandlers were blacksmiths.
David Hidden (1741 - 1861) came from Newburyport about 1809 with William Bartlett in his chaise, carrying carpenter's tools to work on new seminary buildings. Built new house circa 1812, on Issac Chandler's homestead and on July 1, 1816, married Isaac's daughter, Mary Chandler. On March 22, 1828 David Hidden was deeded 1/2 of the house, "on the east end which he now occupies", and half the garden with about 3/4 of an acre. Their children, Mary Elizabeth Hidden (b. Feb. 13, 1818 - d. 1893) and David Issac Chandler Hidden ( Aug. 15, 1823 - d. 1897) inherited the homestead on the death of their father. They also kept a farm here of 22 acres now most of Forbes Lane and Carlton Circle.
Half the house was usually rented to tenants and many locally famous people boarded here: Samuel Peabody; Prof. Austin Phelps, 1847; Rev. Bernard of Salem; Rev. Charles Mills (who married a daughter of Peter Smith (1862 - 1863); Richard Mooar widow Wyman (1835 - 1837); William Wardwell, 1836; John Shipman, a trader; Avery family John Lord Taylor, 6th pastor of South church, while a PA student; Warren Abbot, paymaster of Pacific Mills, Lawrence; Rev. Harlan Page; Congressman William S. Knox; John C. Allen; William Waters, bookbinder; and Joseph Hardy Neesima (1843 - 1890) first Japanese student at Phillips Academy, who came to Andover 1866.
Mary Hidden had a special interest in missionary work; David I. C. Hidden kept only white chickens on his farm here. He was a bachelor and last of Hidden line. Mary Chandler Hidden never married but her admirer, Deacon Edward Taylor (then owner of Amos Blanchard house) came to dinner here every Thursday evening.
David I. C. and sister Mary C. left no wills, so property went to a cousin, Mrs. Henry Bond of Wilmington, who sold to Miss Lucy Nesmith of Lowell. Lucy Nesmith made substantial improvements and built an ell on the house. She named the place "Hiddenfield". She also added piazza and bay window. Lucy died 1900 and house later bought by William S. Knox, wife Helen S. on May 12, 1902.
William Knox was a lawyer. He transferred the deed over to his wife Helen in April 1908. William died about 1915 and Helen later sold to
H. Bradford Lewis on Nov. 24, 1919. Lewis built and lived across the street in his Victorian mansion "Lincolnshire" at 22 Hidden Rd. He died 1951 and his daughter, Marion (Mrs. Kellogg Boynton), inherited the home. Marion and husband Kellogg were occupants of the home in 1920. Kellogg was in the Wool business in Lawrence. She sold to Dr. Charles Currier. (See Lawrence Eagle Tribune, Feb. 16, 1951).
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence MA
see 1980 National Register Nomination for updated information
Hidden, David: Tally Book; Accounts - (Andover Historical Society)
Bailey, Sarah, Loring; Historical Sketches of Andover, 1880
McKean, Phebe Fuller; A Sketch of Early Life of Joseph Hardy Neesima, Bosto D. Lothrop, 1890
Goldsmith Bessie; Historical Houses of Andover, 1964
Andover Historical Society files
Abbott Charlotte Helen; "Andover Families" - Historical Andover - #58
Poore, Alfred; In Andover Advertiser, June 27, 1863
Andover Townsman, June 25, 1897
David Hidden (1741 - 1861)
Mary Elizabeth Hidden and David Issac Chandler Hidden, heirs - 1861
Mary Elizabeth Hidden estate, David Issac Chandler Hidden sole heir - 1893
David Issac Chandler Hidden estate, died intestate, 1897
Albert H. & Mary A. Bond, cousin, heir at law of David Hidden
Mrs. Lucy Elizabeth Nesmith - May 7, 1897 - b. 155 p. 155
Lucy Elizabeth Nesmith estate, Clarence W. Widden Trustee - Sept. 4, 1900 Probate
William S. Knox, wife Helen S. - May 12, 1902 - b. 194 p. 363
Clarence W. Walsh - Apr. 30, 1908 - b. 259 p. 136
Helen S. Knox, wife of William S. - Apr. 30, 1908 - b. 259 p. 136
H. Bradford Lewis - Nov. 24, 1919 - b. 411 p. 278 - 22 acres
H. Bradford Lewis estate, George Thompson Extr. - 1951
Charles A. & Margaret D. Currier - Sept. 14, 1951 - b. 754 p. 483 - lot A with house
Charles A. Currier estate, Margaret D. Currier heir - Mar. 8, 1980 - probate #348236
Candace A. Alsop - Aug. 4, 1982 - b. 1595 p. 77
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Chandler, Isaac - Hidden, David House|
|Construction Date||1811 - 1812|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||David Hidden (1784 - 1861)|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Piazza & ell added and renovated (1897) Porch removed by present owner (1950's)|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||57-35|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, Nov. 11, 2015|