Cape style home
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 - 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company, but falls within the buffer zone of the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District. The home is of Post WWII construction and is sited on property once owned by the William Donald family and referred to in deeds as the Ink Shop site. Donald made Ink Black and printing inks and the factory was located on North Main St.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings in Shawsheen Village were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the properties in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This house lot was sold to William J. & Louise A. Stewart on Nov. 9, 1949. Stewart then sold the lot to Frank & Cecelia Cairns on Feb. 7, 1952. Frank Cairns was the the contractor that built of the home and he also #4 & #6 Kenilworth St. in 1951.
Cairn sold the new home to Doug N. & Marie E. Howe on Mar. 12, 1953. Doug Howe, age 31, work in real estate sales for the W. Shirley Barnard Agency. Howe would later have his own agency. Dough and Marie owned seven years then selling to Harold & Rita K. Haller on Jan. 5, 1960.
The Haller family were long term owners of 36 years. Harold b. 1911 was an Office Manager. Harold & Rita b. 1916 were living at 7 Kenilworth St prior to purchasing this home.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
Map #2391 - lot I
Map #2150 - Nov. 1949 - lot J
Owners; Along Riverina Rd.
John Smith & Peter Smith – Dec. 29, 1841 –b. 335 leaf 99
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. – July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 Salem deed
Robert Braisford, General Degreasing Co. – July 21, 1902 – b. 197 p. 32
Beacon Trust Company. – Dec. 23, 1904 – b. 217 p. 80
Daniel C. Smith –Mar. 28, 1909 – b. 258 p. 446
Arlington National Bank – June 11, 1909 – b. 274 p. 565
James E. McGovern – July 17, 1909 – b. 275 p. 400 – mgt sale
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. – Aug. 14, 1909 - b. 277 p. 310
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920 -435 p. 215 parcel 1
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 30th parcel
Textile Realty Co. - Ink Shop lot - 3.88 acres
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 - parcel 2
William J. & Louise A. Stewart - Nov. 9, 1949 - b. 729 p. 438 lot I
Frank & Cecelia Cairns - Feb. 7, 1952 - b. 760 p. 136
Doug N. & Marie E. Howe - Mar. 12, 1953 - b. 773 p. 402
Harold & Rita K. Haller - Jan. 5, 1960 - b. 908 p. 244 - 244
Harold & Rita K. Haller- Oct. 3, 1988 - b. 2818 p. 185 - Homestead
Susan (Burke) Frost - May 12, 1993 - b. 3729 p. 22
Rita K. Haller - Mar. 9, 1994 - b. 3999 p. 297
David Hastings & Linda J. Vasconcellos - Apr. 16, 1996 - b. 226
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Howe - Haller House|
|Construction Date||1952 - 1953|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||52-20|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||July 29, 2015|