249 River Road

Architectural Description: 

Style: Georgian and Federal

Other features: Federal doorways - front and west side; sits very close to road; dirt floor cellar (1975)
House was re-sided with wood clapboard, was cedar shingles

Historical Narrative: 

Original owner: Johnathon Abbot

Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development

Historical significance: George Abbot, 19th settler in Andover was grandfather of Jonathon Abbot. Benjamin, his son, one of the 12 children (3 killed by Indians), bought property from Simon Bradstreet, the first settler in Andover.

Jonathan Abbot sold the property for $4000. to David McClary of Dracut, MA on Feb. 15, 1845. The farm consisted of two parcels, of 55 4/10 acres on the north side of the road adjoining the house, and 93 38/100 acres across the street. The 1850 Andover Valuation schedule lists David McClary assessment; Dwelling house $1000. barn and other building $200. 140 acre farm $3500. and Farm stock $216. On May 11, 1852 David sells the farm to, David N. McClary wife Julia H. of Lowell and Joseph L. McLary, wife Frances H., of Lawrence. David reserves the right to occupy the west side of the house for the remainder of his life, and if his wife survives him, the same life tenancy. David N. & Joseph L. hold the property 6 months then sell to James S. McClary on Nov. 15, 1852. James bought the house and 25 acres for $2000. The McClarys owned for 21 years then sold to Thomas Saunders on July 24, 1866.

Thomas Saunders b. 1816, married to Mary Lewis b. 1815. Son Warren b. 1847. Saunders family owned for 30 years. Thomas died Dec. 9, 1890 and Mary died on April 16, 1895. Warren then sold the property to Warren Hackett of Lawrence on May 23, 1896. Hackett owned until April 18, 1911 when he sold to Letina A. Abbott. Abbott held the property for 33 years then selling to Katherine E. Maloney & Patrick A. Cadogan of Belmont on July 18, 1944. The property contained 27 acres at that time. The deed was placed in Thomas P. & Katherine E. Maloney names on Dec. 27, 1965.

Katherine sub-divided the property in 1981 selling off a one acer lot to the east of the house to Richard T. & Shirley Jennings in Nov. 1983. With Katherine's death her estate was administered by Edward B. Hanify, Executor in 1988. The House and remaining 27 acres of land were sold to Arthur E. Fosse on April 8, 1988, trustee of the Spencer Court Realty Co. The house lot was then subdivided into one acre and sold to Gary L. & Joann L. Arnold on Nov. 3, 1988. Spencer Court Realty Co. then developed Fossen Way to the rear of the property.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #9297 - Apr. 1981 - Katherine E. Maloney sub-division
Map #9659 - Aug. 31, 1984 -- High Park - Fossen Way lot 2
Map #11325 - Oct. 12, 1988 - lot 2
Owners:
Jonathan Abbott - 1845
David McClary - [McCleary] - Jan. 10, 1845 - b. 351 leaf 135
David N. McClary & Joseph L. McClary - May 11, 1852 - b. 460 leaf 134
James S. McClary - Nov. 15, 1852 - b. 478 leaf 84
Thomas Saunders - July 24, 1866 - b. 707 leaf 270
Warren Saunders -
Warren Hackett - May 23, 1896 - b. 147 p. 300
Letina A. Abbott - April 18, 1911 - b. 302 p. 545
Katherine E. Maloney & Patrick A. Cadogan - July 18, 1944 - b. 666 p. 201
Thomas P. & Katherine E. Maloney - Dec. 27, 1965 - b. 1053 p. 55
Katherine E. Maloney estate, Edward B. Hanify, Extr. - Probate #84P2533-E1
Arthur E. Fosse - April 8, 1988 - b. 2707 p. 288
Spencer Court Realty Co. Trustees - Apr. 8, 1988 - b. 2707 p. 290
Gary L. & Joann L. Arnold - Nov. 3, 1988 - b. 2838 p. 135
Kenneth H. & Eileen M. Stowe - Sept. 24, 1993 - b. 3843 p. 160
Kenneth H. Stowe - Jan. 22, 2003 - b. 7470 p. 287
David W. Pulido - Sept. 21, 2007 - b. 10919 p. 130
David W. Pulido & Debra D. Randall - Jun. 15, 2010 - b. 12114 p. 123
Michael J. & Debra E. Benjamin - July 26, 2014 - b. 13893 p.311

Inventory Data:

StreetRiver Rd
PlaceAbbott District - West Parish - West Andover
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameAbbott, Jonathon House
Present Useresidence
Original Usefarm/residence
Construction Date210 years old (1713?), 18th century
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone/granite
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuressmall barn and sheds attached
Major Alterationsbarn razed and shed addition rebuilt 1990s.
Conditionexcellent
Acreage1.08 acres; lot size: 25 acres; approx. frontage 1010'
Settingresidential
Map and parcel204-1
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-1977, 1/19/2016

Map: