This building was constructed in a Greek Revival period style.
Built as a annex for the two room schoolhouse built in 1851.
The current playground across the street was purchased in 1851 by the Abbott Village School District as the site for their new schoolhouse. The first district school, a one room structure, was built on the site of the home at 3 Cuba St. With the expansion of the mills and increased population of large families, the district built a two room school on the playground site. In 1861 the Massachusetts Child Labor laws changed requiring all children between the ages of 5 - 14 to attend school for 14 consecutive weeks rather than just 14 weeks per academic year.
The impact to the school system was as many as 60 new students arriving to school one Monday morning with no place to accommodate them. As some children had been away from classroom work for a long period of time, it was felt that a new classroom was needed to help the overcrowded conditions and would allow the grouping of students who were behind in their studies.
The District acted quickly and a one room school house was placed just north of the other one. It served the Village until 1892 when a new brick four room school was built to replace the old ones.
The two schoolhouses were lifted off their foundations and placed on blocks while the new school construction got underway. Delays and contract disputes slowed the process and the schools stood on blocks for over a year while still in use.
The new school was completed and opened in October 1893. In June 1894 the former schools were sold at public auction.
June 22, 1894 AT p.1 "The old Abbott Village Schoolhouse buildings are advertised to be sold at auction tomorrow [Saturday June 23] afternoon at 2 o’clock by auctioneer Rogers."
June 29, 1894 AT p. 1 – "Sold At Auction – Old Abbott Village Schoolhouses – The old Abbott Village schoolhouse buildings were auctioned off by Rogers last Saturday afternoon. The large one brought $36 and was bought by the Henderson Brothers who will use it as a carpenters shop.
The small one was knocked off to Andrew Thompson for $84 and he will convert it into a dwelling."
The larger one was moved to 74 Red Spring Rd. and converted into a workshop. The smaller Primary school was purchased by Andrew moved across the street to this location. It was constructed for $700. in 1861. Thompson then converted into a single family home renting for many years until 1934. Thompson lived at 30 Cuba and also owned the house to the rear of his property now numbered 41 Red Spring Rd. Andrew died on May 7, 1899.
The Thompson family owned the property until the death of daughter Jennie S. Thompson on January 13, 1934. Fred Cheever was the executor of her estate, and sold the houses to Benjamin & Yvonne Dane in Oct. 1934. James Nelson and wife Genevive owned it for a few years before selling back to Dane. He then sold to Joseph & Jeannette Guerrera on Nov. 10, 1950 recorded on the 14th. The home remains in the family via the Guerrera Family Trust established in 2009.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Abbott Village Minutes of the Prudential Committee 1828-1866
Andover School Reports 1860-61 and 1861-62
Andover Townsman AT and Andover Advertiser AA
Abbott Village School District - 1861-1866
Andover Public Schools - 1866-1895
Andrew Thompson - Oct. 12, 1895 - b. 143 p. 282-84 mtg.
Andrew & Jennie S. Thompson -
Jennie S. Thompson by will of Andrew - Probate # 84731
Jennie S. Thompson estate, Fred E. Cheever, Extr. Feb. 13, 1934
Benjamin & Yvonne Dane - Oct. 18, 1934 - b. 582 p. 560
James & Genevieve B. Nelson - Aug. 31, 1945 b. 676 p. 255
Benjamin F. & Yvonne Dane - Nov. 17, 1947 - b. 705 p. 148 -150
Joseph F. & Jeannette L. Guerrera - Nov. 14, 1950 - b. 743 p.116
Guerrera Family Trust- Jan. 13, 2009 - b. 11428 p. 22
See plan # 1119 - Dane July 19, 1938
Plan 1817 - Nov., 1947
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Abbot Village Primary School|
|Original Use||Primary school house|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/asbestos shingle covering|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage (right side)|
|Major Alterations||20c bay/fence/window/dormer/left chimney|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||72-24|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||5/31/91, 6/2014|