NRIND NRMRA, note window frames - site still good - same as 29 Essex Street
Original owner Jacob Chickering and James Grosvenor.
Themes - Architectural and Community development.
Jacob Chickering was born 1806 in North Parish of Andover. At the age of 12, he moved to South Parish and apprenticed as a carpenter under Stephen Holt, partner of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier. For a number of years, he was self-employed as a builder and finally sold out to Abbot, Thompson and Wilson in 1850. About 1856, he started a factory to manufacture pianos (rental bill - 1857-58, for shop on Essex St. owned by John Marland and J.F. Cogswell). Later acquired repair shed from Boston and Maine railroad.
Chickering built this house before his marriage in 1835. It shows his usual careful attention to detailed workmanship; the wood trim over windows and decorative touches evident in his other projects (#29 Essex St., Baptist Church etc.)
After his marriage, he moved to 29 Essex St. and left this house to his parents. Jacob Chickering sold the house and property to James Grosvenor in May 1840. James married on June 4, 1840 to Elizabeth Kindle b. 1825. James Grosvenor was ticket-seller at old railroad station at 9 Essex St. James and Elizabeth had three children; Elizabeth K., Mary Hannah and James. Daughter Elizabeth married Benjamin G. Gleason who was born and grew up next door at 12 Essex St. in the brick house.
James wife Elizabeth inherited the homestead and on her death in 1884 the estate went to her children. Elizabeth Gleason quit claimed her share of the estate for $2166.66 in 1884. Mary Hannah and her brother James Grosvenor co-owned the property. James purchased land on the NE corner of Maple Ave. & Walnut Ave. in Mar. 1885 and built a house for himself. Mary Hannah remained in the family homestead and it was known as the Mary H. Grosvenor House. The 1900's assessment taxed with barn and shed She died on Jan 15, 1902 dividing her estate between her brother James and her sister Elizabeth Gleason. Gleason took $1625 from her brother James and released the property over to him. James placed it in a trust in 1915 giving Samuel P. Hulme the Administration of the Trust for five years.
In April 1919 the property was sold to George David Walsh. George married to Mary D. and they had five children; Helen, Kathryn, Maribeth, Sarah and George D. Walsh Jr. After the death of Mary Walsh in 1967 the siblings inherited the property. Their brother George D. bought out his sisters shares on Dec. 23, 1969. George and wife Martha (Allen ) Walsh continue to reside in the homestead.
Dr. Poore says, "a schoolhouse moved to North Andover was on this site, and is now (1863) a recitation room in the rear of Phillips Academy". .
See plan #398 – Samuel P. Hulme 1920
See also deeds of Joshua H. Ward to James Grosvenor – Aug. 28, 1847 –b. 493 lf. 53 Salem
Mary J. Swift to Elizabeth Grosvenor – Oct. 1, 1868 – b. 762 lf. 17 Salem Deeds.
Andover Historical Society files (Chickering)
Chickering, Jacob; Miscellaneous uncatalogued bills, building estimates, receipts, 1834-1878; North Andover Historical Society
Interview with Lillian Conroy, 29 Essex Street
Andover Advertiser; July 24, 1858
Poore, Dr. Alfred; "A Genealogical-Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863" - Essex Institute Historical Collection, July 1913, p. 239-252
Andover Townsman, Sept. 9, 1976
Essex Northern Registry of Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
James Grosvenor – May 9, 1840 – b. 319 lf. 258 – Salem deeds
Elizabeth Grosvenor – by probate
Elizabeth Grosvenor – Estate – Nov. 10, 1884 – b. 78 p. 565
Heirs Elizabeth H. Gleason, Mary Hannah Grosvenor & James Grosvenor
Elizabeth H. Gleason – Nov. 10, 1884 – b. 78 p. 565 quit claim 1/3 $2166.66
Mary H. Grosvenor and James Grosvenor - Nov. 10, 1884 – b. 78 p. 565
Mary Hannah Grosvenor, Estate – Geo. H. Poor admin. of Trust – Jan. 22, 1902 b. 191 p. 211
Elizabeth H. Gleason Trust – Geo. H. Poor admin. - April 19, 1902 – b. 196 p. 342 release
George H. Poor -Trustee - April 19, 1902 – b. 196 p. 342
James Grosvenor – April 19, 1902 – b. 196 p. 342
James Grosvenor Trust – Samuel P. Hulme, trustee – Apr. 9, 1915 – b. 351 p. 210
Samuel P. Hulme, trustee – Apr. 9, 1915 – b. 351 p. 210
George David Walsh – Apr. 1, 1919 – b. 379 p. 121
See also– April 9, 1920 - b. 420 p. 7 and Oct. 7, 1920 – b. 432 p. 579
Mary D. Walsh July 17, 1934
Mary D. Walsh estate 1967; Dec. 23, 1969 – b. 1146 p. 227– Probate doc. # 290095
Helen W. Nelson, Kathryn W. Zimmerman, Maribeth W. Fessenden, Sarah W. Logan and
George D. Walsh, 1/5 undivided share and release
George D. Walsh – Dec. 23, 1969 – b. 1146 p. 228
George D. & Martha A. Walsh – Jan. 20, 1970 – b. 1147 p. 500
Walsh Realty Trust – Geo. & Martha Walsh – Mar. 28, 1994 – b. 4036 p. 195
|Historic District||Individual National Register Listing|
|Historic Name||Jacob Chickering - James Grosvenor House|
|Source||Dr. Alfred Poore, AHS files, ENRDL|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Jacob Chickering builder|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn now attached|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 12,590 sq. ft. with 89' approximate frontage|
|Map and parcel||55-54|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|