Transition from Queen Anne to Craftsman Four Square. Beautiful cut shingle work on the second story and banding below the hip roof., nice proportions of front porch
Forsythe, George & Christine C. (4-7-41, 4-6-67)
Florence M. Burns (Dec. - )
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This property was once owned by Nathan Clark, a farmer. and connected to his homestead lot at the corner of Dascomb and Clark Roads. Nathan Clark's estate was purchased by Herbert A. Moody on Aug. 16, 1882 for $2200. The farm consisted of three parcels, the house lot with buildings, an adjoining 23 acre 114 3/4 sq. rods parcel on the east side of Clark Rd and a 23 acre lot across the street on the north side of Dascomb Rd. Herbert A. Moody was a carpenter and builder and lived on Clark Road ( formerly known as Lowell St. or Rd. in Ballardvale) Herbert transferred the deed to Almon S. Moody, a minor, through his guardian Samuel G. Sargent of Methuen, for $1500. on Aug. 23, 1883.
Herbert A. Moody did however retain some of the property of the Clark farm and parceled off house lots along Clark Rd and Chester Street. He then built and sold homes or lots, as he developed some of the former Clark Farm land.
This lot was sold to A. Thompson Clarke, of Melrose on Apr. 18, 1891 for $300 which at that time contained 5 acres. The parcel is described a a portion of the old Nathan Clark farm .. "located on the west side of the old Stage Road leading from Andover to Tewksbury." It appears that Clarke was a developer like Moody. Clarke built the home at 33 Chester St. In April 1891 he sold off 2 1/2 acres to the east of the house lot to Salmon C. Walker. This is now Mitton Circle.
Thompson Clarke sold this lot with buildings for $1300. to Henry C. Libbey, wife J. Etta, of Hartford, CT on June 17, 1893. Libbey owned for five years then selling to Abbie L. Stevens of Lawrence on March 23, 1898. Abbie would later marry Luther S. Twiss and move to Tewksbury. She sold the property to David F. Burns of Andover on Oct. 11, 1909. Burns ran a very successful men's clothing store at 11 Main St. for many years. The Burn's family acquired other commercial properties in town. David Burns died in 1938 and his estate went to his wife Florence Burns.
The 1943 Andover Directory lists George & Christine C. Forsythe at this address (then numbered #61 Chester change to 33 in 1959) Christine C. Forsythe would later inherit the property when Florence Burns died in 1948. The Deed was in Christine's name. George Forsythe b. 1910 was a Textile Engineer and worked in Lawrence. Christine b. 1911 is listed as a Physiotherapist in the 1961 Directory. The deed states she had title through the Probate Court form both David and Florence Burns.
Christine Forsythe continued to live her until her death. He estate was handled by her Executrix Barbara F. Smith. The home and property was sold to Jeffrey S. Nowak & Cristen M. Farrell on May 27, 2003.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Assessor's Office
Map plan #1747 - April 1947 lots #1 and #2 - Alvin J. & M. Ethel Zink - Christine Forsythe
Nathan Clark estate, farm
Martha A. Hall, heir and dau. of Nathan Clark -
Herbert A. Moody - Aug. 16, 1882 - b. 69 p. 95 - Nathan Clark farm 3 parcels
A. Thompson Clarke, of Melrose - Apr. 18, 1891 - b. 90 p. 195 - 5 acre parcel - $300.
Henry C. Libbey, wife J. Etta - June 17, 1893 - b. 126 p. 98 - $1300.
Abbie L. Stevens [Twiss] - Mar. 23, 1898 - b. 161 p. 201
David F. Burns - Oct. 11, 1909 - b. 280 p. 368
David F. Burns estate, wid. heir Florence Burns - 1938
Florence Burns estate, Christine C. Forsythe heir 1949 - Probate #199695
Christine C. & George Forsythe - Feb. 21, 1949 - b. 721 b. 313 - mtg.
Christine C. Forsythe estate, Barbara F. Smith, Extrx. -
Jeffrey S. Nowak & Cristen M. Farrell - May 27, 2003 - b. 7836 p. 79
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Libbey - Burns - Forsythe House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||A. Thompson Clarke|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard, wood shingles|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small garage|
|Acreage||0.797 acre; approx. frontage 95'|
|Map and parcel||157-3|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/5/2017|