Similar to former "Merrill House" at 24 Salem Street (perhaps both by J. Chickering?)
Long front windows, side porch may be later addition. Gothic center window, Palladian style on second floor gable end
Themes: Architectural; Community Development
Listed as as "Nute" House in 1900 Andover Valuation Schedule
This property was once owned by Marshall Blood who sold to Albert H. Higgins on Apr. 5, 1865. Marshall Blood formerly owned a home and business at 29 Main Street. The home was later converted into the first Barnard Block and last housed the Tailor Shop before being razed in the 1980's for the Andover Bank expansion. The Andover Advertiser ran the following items:
Mar. 14, 1857 AA- Miss Emily W. Low announces to her former patrons & friends in Andover on her return on April 1 will again be in Millinery in rooms in the dwelling house of Marshall Blood, second door south of the Bank building. Up-stairs.
In June 14, 1867 AA. Marshal Blood has removed his family from Main Street to his house on High Street, and sold out his newspaper and periodical business to John H. Chandler for the first of July. Mr. Blood as served the people of Andover in the line of business, most faithfully for more than fourteen years. His successor is a very efficient and accommodating young gentleman, but the familiar face of the retiring old veteran will be greatly missed by the reading community.
Albert H. Higgins owned the property for eight years then selling to the Rev. Henry R. Wilbur and wife Rebecca M. on Apr. 26, 1873. Rev. Henry Wilbur was called to serve a minister to the Baptist Church in April 1872. He filled that position four years, retiring in October 1876. Henry Ripley Wilbur was born in Boston on April 5, 1825, son of Asa & Caroline Ann (Ripley) Wilbur Jr. His father was partners in the firm Wilbur & Story. Henry was educated at Phillips Andover Academy, Hampton Academy, Colby University and Newton Theological Seminary. He served as minister in Pretoria and Galena, Ill. as well as Andover. Henry also served on the Andover School Board and was chairman for several years. Henry married Susan Eliza Knowlton in 1852 and they had four children:
Susan Maria b. 1853, Ellen "Nellie" b. Aug. 17, 1853, Henry Knowlton b. 1862 and Arthur Sidney b. 1866.
His wife Susan died in 1867 and Henry would re-marry on Mar. 8, 1870 in Brookline, MA to Rebecca M. Merrill b. Feb. 15, 1834 in Methuen, MA daughter of Fidelia Merrill. Rebecca was a graduate of Abbot Academy in Andover in 1855. Henry & Rebecca would have one daughter Caroline C. Wilbur b. Sept. 1872 in Andover.
Rev. Henry Wilbur, called "the little minister", first owned and occupied this home at 40 High Street. In 1870's he received a family bequest which he used to buy real estate. He would own six other houses on High Street, including #38 (Merrill House), #36 (Abbott House), #30, #32, #34 and #42 (called New House - 1900 records). Also owned six houses on Maple Ave. and Wilbur Court. Henry purchased the Sylvester Merrill house at #36 High St. on Oct. 19, 1877. This property was larger and it is now believed that Henry built the home on the rear of the property now #38 High St. This house then became the Wilbur residence.
Henry then sold the home at #40 High St. to Charles H. Gilbert, wife Emma A. on April 20, 1885. Gilbert owned for three years then sold to Abby R. Handy & Elizabeth L. Handy on July 7, 1888. The Anna & Elizabeth Handy only had the property for one year then Henry Wilbur re-purchased property
on July 6, 1889. This Wilbur house would remain in family hands until the death of daughter Caroline in 1956.
Rev. Henry R. Wilbur died on May 29, 1898; AT June 3, 1898 - Obituary; Sudden Death of Rev. H. R. Wilbur - Rev. Henry R. Wilbur of High Street dropped dead of heart disease at seven o'clock Sunday night, while in attendance at the Christian Endeavor society meeting at the Baptist Church, of which he was one of the most prominent and influential members. The end came apparently with out a struggle in the church which he had labored many years. He was Surrounded by friends, and many willing hands laid him gently on a pew-cushion after he had fallen from his seat and did all that could be done to restore him. A. messenger was sent for Dr. Leitch, who had been attending Mr. Wilbur of late, but he could not be found, and Dr. Abbott promptly responded to the call.
When the physician arrived he saw at once that life was extinct and ordered undertaker Messer to be notified to remove the remains to Mr. Wilbur's late home on High Street.
The service was interrupted by the sad event and many children and members of the church stood in tears by the silent form until the body was carried gently from the church.
More than one person made a note that it was sweet to think that the good man passed away in the church for the support of which he had done so much. .....
Mr. Wilbur's death is a keen blow to the members of the Baptist church for he had been its guiding spirit for twenty-five years, four years as pastor and for nineteen years its clerk. He had constantly contributed generous sums to the financial support of the church, and gave freely to the poor of the town, and to Christian benevolence. (Rev. Henry Wilbur was later interred at Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA)
Henry's wife Rebecca inherited the estate along with her step-children and daughter Caroline. The 1900 Valuation schedule lists Rebeccas property as 32 - 34 High St., 40 High Nute house, and 42 High St. the new house. The Henry Wilbur estate includes; 30 High St Abbot house, 36 High St. Merrill house, 38 High St., 14 Maple Ave., and 7, 8, 9, Wilbur Ct. and 6 acres of Stone land at 173 High St.
This home was deeded to Caroline by her mother on Feb. 11, 1916. Rebecca died on March 16, 1918. Caroline and her sister Susan M. Wilbur shared this home and the deed was place in both names on July 19, 1920. Her step-sister Susan M. Wilbur was a school teacher and began at the South Center School, which was next to South Church, in 1886 at 1st intermediated class.She then moved to Central Grammar (Stowe School) in 1888 in 3rd division. Susan became principal of the school in 1892 with a salary of $500 and teaching 9th grade. She left Stowe School in 1895.
Susan died on Mar. 3, 1934 and Caroline Wilbur again became sole owner. Upon Caroline's death in 1953, her Executor John Houghton Flint sold to Charles J. Lundergan on Sept. 29, 1953. Charles then placed the deed in both his and wife Mary J. Lundergran names on Mar. 2, 1956. In total the Wilbur family owned this property for 79 years.
Essex Country Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps; 1852, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1898
Marshall Blood - 1865
Albert H. Higgins - Apr. 5, 1865 - b. 684 leaf 93 - Salem deeds
Henry R. Wilbur, wife Rebecca M. - Apr. 26, 1873 - b. 21 p. 197
Charles H. Gilbert, wife Emma A. - April 20, 1885 - b. 80 p. 573
Abby R. Handy & Elizabeth L. Handy - July 7, 1888 - b. 96 p. 86
Henry R. Wilbur - July 6, 1889 - b. 101 p. 196
Henry R. Wilbur estate, Rebecca M. Wilbur heir - May 29, 1898
Caroline C. Wilbur - Feb. 11, 1916 - b. 361 p. 335 - parcel 2
Caroline C. Wilbur & Susan M. Wilbur - July 19, 1920
Susan M. Wilbur estate, Caroline C. Wilbur heir - Mar. 3, 1934 - Probate #178541
Caroline C. Wilbur estate, John Houghton Flint, Extr. - July 31, 1953 - Probate #232920
Charles J. Lundergan - Sept. 29, 1953 - b. 781 p. 381
Charles J. & Mary J. Lundergan - Mar. 2, 1956 - b. 829 p. 349
Charles J. Lundergan, Robert M. & Maureen Lundergan - Aug. 2, 1990 - b. 3143 - p.144
Charles J. Lundergan - Aug. 7, 1990 - b. 7144 p. 193
Charles J. Lundergan estate, Robert M. Lundergan, Extr. -Oct. 4, 2002 - Probate #02P-0736-EP1
Lewis Trumbore - Oct. 31, 2002 - b. 7224 p. 284
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Wilbur, Rev. Henry House|
|Present Use||residence - 3 family|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Gothic Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Jacob Chickering ?|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||conversion into three apartment dwelling|
|Acreage||0.181 acre; 7,874 sq. ft. approximate frontage 60'|
|Map and parcel||38-66|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Oct. 24, 2015|