This land once belonged to John Abbot and was sold to Oliver H. Perry on Oct. 21, 1855 who had purchased the Cogswell house at 68 Phillips St. This six acre parcel ran south along the west side Abbot St. from the corner of Phillips St. At this time it was referred to as the road to Wilmington and Boston. It was later named Woburn St. beginning at Phillips St and continued all the way to the Wilmington line. About 1900 the east end of Woburn St was renamed extending Abbot St. to Porter Rd.
With the death of Oliver Perry his wife Mary Ann Perry inherited the estate and then sold to Lyman A. Belknap of Boston on June 10, 1879. The estate contained four parcels of land and the Cogswell house. This property was a portion of the first parcel of 6 acres mentioned in the deed to Belknap.
Belknap then began to develop the vacant property along Abbot Street dividing up house lots. According to Andover Townsman, this section of Abbot Street appears to have been developed around summer 1889. "This promises to be one of the most attractive parts of Andover" - "several new houses to be erected here this summer."
This lot was sold to contractor Charles Berry Mason, and built by him and is said, for his own use. Mason was a building superintendent at Phillips Academy. Charles Mason left Andover in 1897. (MS/S/433 p.37)
July 5, 1889 AT p1. C. B. Mason is to build a house for Lieut. Wadhams, U. S. N. on Woburn St., upon the lot adjoining his own. This house, which is to have all the modern improvements is the third which Mr. Mason has built from the designs of the New York Co-operative Building Plan Association. He begins work at once. Mrs. Robert’s house close by in nearly complete outside, and is being plastered.
July 26, 1889 AT – The cellar is nearly finished for Lieut. Wadman’s house on Woburn St., and the builder Mason has the lumber on the ground ready for framing.
August 9, 1889 AT p.4 – Miss S. E. Jackson’s house on Woburn St. which is to be occupied by Lieut. Wadhams, is up and the roof is being raised. This house when completed with two broad piazzas, will command a fine view and together with the other new houses on this street, will make a handsome improvements in this part of the town, for which much credit is due C. B. Mason the bulder.
Sept. 20, 1889 p.1 AT – C. B. Mason has moved into the house on Woburn St.
1900-18: Chapin, Mrs. Cornelius S. owns #47
1926-29: E.B. Chapin (E. Barton & Jeanette) lawyer
1930-43: Richards, Mary E. & Emily
1947: Hopkins, Alice, Libr Simmons Col.; Juliette wid. Walter E., Eliz. L. teacher
1960: LaMontagne, Raymond A. (Jacqueline) administrator
1994 - awarded Certificate for Exterior Preservation
1997 - building marker
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society
Lyman A. Belknap - June 13, 1879 - b. 56 p. 367 - parcel 1 of four
Charles B. Mason - Jan. 30, 1890 - b. 99 p. 250
Helen P. Willis - Nov. 25, 1891 - b. 116 - 170 and p. 420
Cornelia S. Chapin - June 5, 1895 - b. 140 p. 550
Cornelia S. Chapin - Apr. 15, 1898 - b. 162 p. 247 - two parcels
E. Barton Chapin - June 28, 1920 - b/ 426 p. 52
Emily Richards & Mary E. Richards - Sept. 28, 1929 - b. 548 p. 400
Alice L. Hopkins - Sept. 29, 1945 - b. 677 p. 227
Elizabeth L. Hopkins heir - April 5, 1957 - Probate
William F. & Jean Paterson - June 8, 1971 - b. 1173 p. 329
Michael D. & Julia T. Apone - April 9, 1983 - b. 1706 p. 335
Duncan F. & Mary L. Will - May 29, 1990 - b. 3115 p. 173
Duncan F. Will - Dec. 10, 2009 - b. 11876 p. 251
Timothy & Ann Swan - July 2, 2012 - b. 13009 p. 215
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Mason House|
|Source||style - njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Charles Berry Mason|
|Foundation||brick or stone|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||carriage house|
|Major Alterations||barn (1967)|
|Acreage||0.255 acre; 11,090 sq. ft. approx. footage 80'|
|Map and parcel||74-16|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|