Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Carlisle Street takes its name from Carlisle Castle situated in Carlisle, Cumbria County, England near the ruins of Hadrian’s Wall, the border between England and Scotland.
This house is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. This house was constructed in 1977 and empty land once owned by John B. Warwick. Warwick sold four parcels of land to Frank L. Holt of which this lot is from the second parcel mentioned. Liberty St. was formerly called Filter Bed Rd. from Haverhill St. to the terminus at the filter beds. Filter Bed Rd now begins a the junction of Sutherland St.
This lot was sub divided in July 1976 creating two lots "A" at 5 Carlisle and "B" on Liberty St. A Charles B. McAveeney purchased the lots on Oct. 9, 1976. Paul J. St. Hilaire of Wilmington the purchased lot A on May 11, 1977. St. Hilaire appeares to be the builder. The home was then sold to Anthony M & Janet R. Andon on Sept. 9, 1977.
All the other homes on the street were built for the AMCo. in 1922. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets, later moved into the Administration Building.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # -Holt
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#708 - Nov. 1927 - AWCo.
#1439 - July 1940 - Holt
#7485 - July 1976 - Lot A - Re- sub-division
John B. Warwick -
Frank L. Holt - June 19, 1917 - b. 377 p. 347 - four parcels
Siegfried E. & Selma Bear - Nov. 5, 1943 - b. 661 p. 14 - second parcel lot
Siegfried E. Bear estate, Selma Bear
Charles B. McAveeney - Oct. 9, 1976 - b. 1292 p. 730 - lot
Paul J. St. Hilaire - May 11, 1977 - b. 1308 p. 186 - lot
Anthony M & Janet R. Andon - Sept. 9, 1977 - b. 1319 p. 173 - house
Andrew J. Hydon & Susan (Rando) Hydon - Nov. 26, 1991 - b. 3354 p. 83
Andrew J. Hydon - Sept. 25, 1995 - b. 4347 p. 124
Turuvekere R. & Poornima K. Gururaja - Dec. 5, 1997 - b. 4911 p. 66
Charles V. Rigoli - Dec. 29, 1999 - b. 5644 p. 344
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||cedar shingle/brick/vinyl clading|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||18-37|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/24/2015|