Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were William H. & Betsy Humphries. William was an operator at the American Woolen Co.
In 1928 William is listed as a shipper at AWCo. A son Norman is also a shipper.
This house was sold to James & Evelyn S. Thomson on Sept. 8, 1945. Thomson owned four years then sold to Frank D. & Margaret P. Barkalow on July 12, 1949. William A. & Gloria N. Schmidlin then purchased on Dec. 26, 1953 and stayed six years. Robert T. & Phylis L. Donnell then bought the property on Apr. 7, 1959 owning just a year and a half.
James F. & Margaret D. Lyons, Jr. then purchased the home on Oct. 14, 1960 and the Lyons family continue as owners of record 55 years later in 2015. James Jr. b. 1916 was a Saftey Director. Margaret b. 1917 a housewife. Prior to moving here they lived at 44 Lowell St.
It appears that the home was leased by many owners; 1943 the Chadwick family are leasing the home. Frank H. & Catherine Chadwick. Frank is listed as stevedore, in Boston. A stevedore is a person who loads and unloads cargo on ships. Robert Chadwick is in the US Army and a Florence Chadwick are also listed.
In 1971 Fred Champy is living at #50. with wife Jean. A Ralph Curtin b. 1898, retired, is also listed with them.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #1
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#1412 Oct. 1942 - revised #877
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
James & Evelyn S. Thomson - Sept. 8, 1945 - b. 676 p. 311
Frank D. & Margaret P. Barkalow - July 12, 1949 - b. 724 p. 431
William A. & Gloria N. Schmidlin - Dec. 26, 1953 - b. 786 p. 205
Robert T. & Phylis L. Donnell - Apr. 7, 1959 - b. 891 p. 133
James F. & Margaret D. Lyons, Jr. - Oct. 14, 1960 - b. 924 p. 385
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Chester A. Patten|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||19-31|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/17/2015|