60 Bartlet Street

Architectural Description: 

Georgian Revival

Andover Preservation Award - May 2013

Historical Narrative: 

60 Bartlet Street “McCurdy House”

This land was once owned by the Trustees of Phillips Academy and was sold to Perry M. Jefferson on May 24, 1869. Jefferson sold the following year to Jonathan Towle, a farmer, for $400 on January 6, 1870 and recorded on March 23, 1870. The deed states the North side of Pike Street, so called. The lot is located on the corner of Bartlet & Morton Streets. Morton St was renamed in the 1890's, was formerly Pike St., East Pike St., and Green St before the name change.

The land deed begins at a stone in the foundation wall of the two buildings formerly used as soap houses on said Pike Street. Towle later sells part of this parcel on May 13, 1892 to Matthew S. McCurdy for $150. The lot is NE corner of Morton and Bartlet Streets. McCurdy then built the Georgian Revival house for his family in 1892. .

May 20, 1892. Andover Townsman - M. S. McCurdy, who recently bought a house on Phillips Street, has made an exchange with the Trustees of Phillips Academy, and will take a lot on the corner of Bartlet & Morton Streets, next to John Spaulding’s. He intends to build soon.

Matthew Scoby McCUrdy was born on May 21, 1849 in Dunbarton, NH, son of Matthew & Esther Talcott (Gregory) McCurdy. Matthew graduated from Dartmouth College and Yale in 1873. He was elected as a Mathematics teacher at Phillips Academy in 1873 a position he held until his death in 1921. Matthew married on Aug. 15, 1876 at St. Johnsbury, VT to Lydia Endora Morrill b. Aug. 5, 1849 in VT, daughter of Calvin & Sophronia (Lee) Morrill.

Mathew & Lydia had three sons all born in Andover, MA; Robert Morrill b. July 7, 1878, Sidney Morrill b. May 21, 1881 and Allan Morrill b. Sept. 1, 1886. Prior to living on Bartlet St. the McCurdy family resided in the brick residence on Main Street. In the 1880 census the McCurdys have five students boarding in the home, four attend Phillips Academy of which one is from China and one attends the Andover Theological Seminary. They also have a domestic named Julia Butler age 21.

The 1900 and 1910 census have them on Bartlet Street but no boarders in the eleven room. six bedroom house. Only Margaret Stapleton b. March 1859 in Ireland is their domestic resides with the family. Matthew McCurdy died on Feb. 21, 1921 and is interred in the Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy. Lydia M. McCurdy lived in the home until selling in March 1926 to Florence McEwan Porter. Lydia died in 1937, son Robert died on Feb. 5, 1956 in Concord, NH and is also interred in the McCurdy family lot on the campus of the Academy.

Florence McEwan Porter - March 25, 1926 - b. 521 p. 22
Trustee of Phillips Academy - June 29, 1892 - b. 119 p. 447 deed restrictions

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA

Owners;
Trustees of Phillips Academy
Perry M. Jefferson - May 24, 1869 - b. 773 leaf 129 - Salem deeds
Jonathan Towle - March 23, 1870 - b. 3 p.195
Matthew S. McCurdy - May 13, 1892 - b. 118 p. 473
M. S. McCurdy estate, Lydia E. - Feb. 21, 1921 - Probate
Florence McEwan Porter - March 25, 1926 - b. 521 p. 22
F. Leslie & Florence M. Porter March 25, 1926 b. 521 p. 23 mtg.
Andover Savings Bank - May 25, 1936 - b. 598 p. 307
Howard M. & Ruth H. Sawyer - Dec. 31, 1936 - b. 603 p. 346
James P. & Geraldine Holihan - Aug. 1, 1947 - b. 700 p. 149
Walter F. & Sue P. Stafford III - April 1, 1976 - b. 1279 p. 160
Gary Pare & Mercedes Guiance - Nov. 26, 2008 - b. 11408 p. 123

Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 29, 1892 - b. 119 p. 447 deed restrictions

Inventory Data:

StreetBartlet St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameMcCurdy, Matthew S., House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1892-1893
SourceERDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleGeorgian Revival
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboard/wood
Roofasphalt - gambrel
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.580 acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel40-67
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredMay 2013

Images: 

Map: