7 Barnard Street

Architectural Description: 

Victorian brick commercial

Historical Narrative: 

The first floor level of this building was built as a one story ell on the Barnard "Brick" block building when constructed in 1883. The period photo below shows Barnard St. building owned by Jacob W. Barnard about 1891-1895. This portion is shown as two store fronts with no center doorway at #5 and no second story at that time. This was built for retail space and has been used as such since construction.

A variety of stores including the Andover COOP second location, is seen in the 1940's image.

Other establishments:
2010 - Carina & Co. - #3
2007 Mawby's
2000 The Blue Cow
1992 The Butler's Pantry
1953 Arrow Cleaners
1944 Andover Consumers Company - #3 CO-OP
1943 Elliot & Stevens Pork Store
1932 Elliot & Stevens Pork Store
1930 Store
1926 Andover Pork Store
1906 Store
1896 Picture Framers
1872 Shed Residence
1852 Shed Residence

Bibliography/References: 

Directories: 1953, 1943, 1932, 1926

Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896,1884, 1872, 1852

Andover Advertiser - March 13, 1885, pg. 2, col. 9

Inventory Data:

StreetBarnard St
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameBarnard's Brick Block ell
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1885
SourceAndover Advertiser
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone/granite
Wall/Trimbrick/wood
Roofasphalt - shallow shed
Major AlterationsSecond story added about 1900.
Conditionexcellent
Settingbusiness/commercial
Map and parcelNONE
Recorded byBrian Lee
OrganizationAndover Historical Society
Date entered8-1992

Images: 

Map: