Large entry porch; single light windows; pediment; facade shows symmetrically balanced windows and center door.
Whittier St was once named Punchard Ave. and extended from Main Street around the southern and eastern edge of the "Park" and on northward to Elm Street. Early deeds state Punchard St. Park Street was laid out in 1873.
This property was once part of the Nathaniel Whittier estate and inherited by Whittier heirs; Ann E. Higgins, Hannah E. Whittier, William and Larry L. Dickinson. The heirs sold the property to Millard A. Clement on July 28, 1879 which included the parcel of land next door now #73 Park St.
Millard Clement then divided the lot and sold the corner lot on Park St. & Punchard Ave. (Whittier St.) to George W. & Belle J. Foster on July 28, 1897 George & Bessie Foster then had the house built. George Whitfield Foster was b. May 21, 1847 in Andover, son of George & Rebecca H. (Abbott) Foster. His father was an Express man. George W. attended Punchard Free School in the class of 1865. He became a Lawyer, married Isabelle "Belle" J. Weeks on June 5, 1877 in Lawrence, MA. Belle was b. in Lawrence in June 1854 dau. of Joseph G. & Mary J. Weeks. They had three children; Mary Helen b. Dec. 1878, Phillip Weeks b. July 1884 and George b. 1886 - d. 1889.
The Foster's lived in the home for 16 years then moved to 121 South Main St. and sold this property to Gertrude C. Mason and Mary F. Mason on Jan. 1, 1894. Half the property was deeded to Sarah A. Mason on Dec. 28, 1898 from Gertrude and then Mary turned over her portion to Sarah on Jan. 26, 1899. The Masons owned for 18 years. Gertrude C. Mason, is listed as a teacher at the Edgerly School in Somerville, MA her home in Andover in 1895-1897. Sister Mary F. b. July 1869 a stenographer and Gertrude were step-daughters of Sarah A. Mason b. Aug. 1850. The 1900 Census list Lucy C. Mason, age 22, b. June 1877, as her daughter Bookkeeper. Also in the home are Henry P. Noyes b. Nov. 1843 in Maine, and his wife Elizabeth H. b. Aug. 1831 in MA. Noyes owned and operated a furniture store at 10 Park St. in the Howell Block.
In 1910 Susan E. Randall, a widow, age 62, rents the home. Boarders Isabelle M. Towle from Maine, age 30 is a public school teacher and Sarah M. Kent, 49, from Nova Scotia, Canada, a housekeeper.
Joseph & Marion Myerscough purchased the house on May 17, 1912 from the Mason family. Joseph Myerscough formed a partnership with Raymond L. Buchan, "Buchan & Myerscough" and opened an automobile garage and repair shop at 59 Park Street in 1909. Business was so good they built a new state of the art garage in 1913 at 90 Main Street. Myerscough owned for 21 years and sadly lost the property to the bank during the Depression.
The Andover Savings Bank took possession on May 1, 1933 and sold the deed to William B. & Annie S. Collins on July 6, 1933. The Collins family owned for 42 years.
On June 16, 1975 Catherine and Howard Yezerski purchased the home. Yezerski owned and operated an art gallery on North Main St. for many years, then one in Boston. They owned for 22 years. They said the back ell on the house had different windows, thought to be outhouses.
Mar. 7, 1997 - Bensley painted a period color, some new clapboards, restored shutters, new roof, new front porch and back stairs, new back door, windows 2nd floor, wider than orig 3'.
1908 same, Myerscough at 37 Essex St.
1913 Myerscough - h. 75 Park St. business 90 Main
1918-19 - Elizabeth, widow David, Joseph B. of Myerscough and Buchan garage at 90 Main St.
1923 - Elizabeth, widow David (L), Joseph (dies 1930?) & Marion board
1926 - Mrs. Elizabeth Myerscough, widow of David
1930-31 - Mrs. Elizabeth Myerscough, widow James
1947 - William B. Collins, town laborer and Annie S., son William C., US Navy
Valuation Tax Lists:
1872 - Park is not laid out. W. P Foster has market and store on Main St. next to T. H. Bessie, p. 84, laid out in 1873
1880 same, half house 1,400, 1/4 land 450
1888 - G.W. Foster
1890 ( hard bound volume) - George W. Foster house, 2,000, land 3/8a, 1,200 for total 3,200
1906 - Mrs. S. Mason owned 75 Park St. & 46 Whittier adj. to it.
1900 - Mrs. Sarah Mason & Miss Mary F., 75 Park St., house 2,000, 10,200 land, 1,100 for total 3,100 (also owns new house 77 Whittier)
1910 - Mrs. Sarah Mason & Miss Mary F., 75 Park St., house 2,000, 10,200 land, 1,100 for total 3,100 (also own 46 Whittier)
1920 - Joseph Myerscough, house 75 Park, 2,800, 10,200 sq. land at 75 Park St., 1,500 for total of 4,300
1930 - one story porch, 2x2 wood dwelling, 1 story ell, all with composition roof.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Street Directories and tax lists
Nathaniel Whittier estate
Whittier heirs; Ann E. Higgins, Hannah E. Whittier, Wm. & Larry L. Dickinson
Millard A. Clement - July 28, 1879 - b. 56 p. 525 - lot of land
George W. & Belle J. Foster - July 28, 1879 - b. 56 p. 526 - portion of lot
Gertrude C. Mason & Mary F. Mason - Jan. 1, 1894 - b. 130 p. 306
Sarah A. Mason - Dec. 28, 1898 - b. 166 p. 191 - from Gertrude 1/2
Sarah A. Mason - Jan. 26, 1899 - b. 167 p. 46 - from Mary F.
Joseph & Marion Myerscough - May 17, 1912 - b. 317 p. 60
Andover Savings Bank - May 1, 1933 - b. 570 p. 322 - possession
William B. & Annie S. Collins - July 6, 1933 - b. 571 p. 461
William B. Collins estate, Annie S. Collins - Dec. 1960
Annie S. Collins estate, Paul S. Collins, Extr. - May 15, 1975 Probate
Howard J. & Katherine M. Yezerski - June 16, 1975 - b. 1261 p. 560
Katherine M. Yezerski - Feb. 17, 1988 - b. 2681 p. 84
Christopher B. & Christine B. Bensley - Mar. 7, 1997 - b. 4706 p. 35
Christopher B. & Christine B. Bensley - b. 13751 p. 115 - Homestead
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||George W. Foster house|
|Construction Date||1879 - 1880|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||39-96|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||4/13/99, Jan 21, 2015|