This property was once part of a 60 acre parcel that extended from the Shawsheen River on the west, to Pomps Pond to the north and to the east side of the old Andover - Wilmington Railroad to the east then along the north side of Andover St. The large parcel was purchased from the Boston Savings Bank by Joseph Tschauder for $2200 on July 1, 1889. Joseph and his wife Leopoldine, would live in this home set back off the street and to the rear of the properties now built along Andover Street.
Joseph sold off a lot at #246 Andover St. to Emil K. Hofmann for $250. on July 19, 1891 who then built the home on it today.
Joseph Tschauder was born in Feb. 1844 in Dentsch, Nenkirchen, Germany and immigrated to the US in on April 28, 1881. He married in 1866 to Leopoldine Gorlich b. in May 1840 in Austria. They had two children, a son Joseph F. Jr. b.Oct. 1865 and a daughter Annie E. b. Apt. 1874 in Austria. Joseph lists his occupation in 1900 as a farmer. The 60 acre parcel extended down to the Shawsheen River, along the brook up to Pomps Pond and eastward along the former Andover Wilmington rail bed and on out to Andover Street. It appears that only two homes had been built on the north side Andover St. and east of his home prior to his purchase. In the 1910 census Joseph now 65 years of age is a widow. His daughter Annie 35 is a music teacher. A Caroline Heinrrick age 72, Servant b. in Germany also boards in the home.
Joseph Tschauder later sells the property to Frank J. Benoit and James H. Cooper on Aug. 3, 1911. William N. Pike & Sons purchased 28 acres from Mary Ragan (Nov. 1914 b. 348 p.98 - John N., Albert W. & Walter E. Pike). The property then appears to be sold off in parcels through the Henri & Delia Fountaine ownership in Sept. 1912 and later when they sell to Ernest J. Beaulieu & Edward J. & Delvina Beauleau on Oct. 14, 1913. It is the Beaulieu family that begins to sell off large parcels of the former Tschauder farm.
B. Barberian purchases 5.78 acres from the Beaulieu brothers on Sept. 10, 1935 (b. 592 p. 566).
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Picture in Bernice Haggerty's Binder at AHS.
Map plan #1425 - May 1943
Map plan #4280 - Apr. 1961 - Harry J. Brouck
George J. Tenney & Samuel Little - land
George W. & Elizabeth Ryley - Dec. 15, 1864 - b. 679 leaf 75 - two parcels
Ella R. & Josiah B. Anderson - July 28, 1875 - b. 36 p. 35 -
Anderson to Boston Savings Bank - July 28, 1875 - b. 36 p. 330 - mtg.
Boston Savings Bank - Mar. 7, 1878 - b. 50 p. 239 - possession
Joseph Tachauder - July 1, 1889 - b. 102 p. 341 - $2200 - 60 acres
Frank J. Benoit & James H. Cooper - Aug. 3, 1911 - b. 307 p. 263
Mary V. Ragan, wife of John J. - Sept. 4, 1912 - b. 321 p. 102
Henri & Delia Fountaine - Sept. 23, 1912 - b. 322 p. 28 - 60 acres
Ernest J. Beaulieu & Edward J. & Delvina Beauleau - Oct. 14, 1913 - b. 335 p. 528
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Construction Date||circa 1850s|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||117-11|
|Recorded by||Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Commission), James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Feb 1996, 12/6/2016|