Andover Village Industrial NRH District
Greek Revival, pediment to street.
Certificate from the Massachusetts Historical Commission on file.
The shift in location of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. from Frye Village (now Shawsheen Village) to Abbott Village began after they purchased the Abbott Mill in 1843. This created a demand for more housing for operatives in their mill.
This parcel was part of 4 Shawsheen Rd. (Village St.) in earlier deeds and is marked as J. Dooris on the 1852 map of Andover. James Dooris was a blacksmith and probably rented as he did not own the property until Feb. 27, 1854 when purchased from Nathan W Hazen. Dooris divided up the parcel and sold off a piece that fronted on Cuba St. to John Bonner. The remainder of the property with the house below was sold to John O'Connell on Aug. 29, 1854.
John O'Connell was born in Mar. 1825 in Ireland, son of Jeremiah & Bridget O'Connell. He married on Feb. 16, 1850 in Lawrence, MA to Mary Horan b. 1826 in Ireland dau. of Patrick and Honora Horan. John was a carpenter and wheelwright. They had nine children: Bridget b. 1852, Charles Jeremiah b. 1853, William b. 1855, John A. b. 1857, Mary J. b. 1858, Susan J. b. 1861, David b. 1861, Arthur b. 1863, Lydia b. 1863. and George H. b. 1867. The 1860 Valuation Schedule lists John O'Connell, West District, 1/2 acre land and house $800. The 1870 Valuation lists; Old house $800, New House $1000, barn $150., 1/2 acre $200 = $2150. His farm stock - $56..
The 1865 State census lists John and wife Mary and family at 4 Shawsheen Rd. We now know from the deed transfers that John and Mary moved up to the new house by 1870. They sold #4 to Harry H. & Franklin S. Noyes on Sept. 7, 1894. Mary died on October 20, 1896 and John two months later on Dec. 28, 1896. Both are interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery.
Their six surviving children inherited the home in via probate in 1897; sons William, Arthur, John A., David J. O'Connell and daughters Bridget Abercrombie and Mary J. Warden. They then sold to John McKenzie in August 1897.
John P. McKenzie was b. June 1844 in Ireland, son of Austin and Nancy (Hastings) McKenzie. John was a rope maker and flax dresser. He married on Nov. 12, 1865 at Indian Orchard, Hampden Co. MA to Alice Ann Smith b. Aug. 1844. John & Alice had nine children; their first James A. was born Aug. 6, 1866 in Ludow, MA. and the next seven in Andover; John P. b. May 30, 1868, Austin b. Oct. 26, 1870, Mary A. b. Feb. 1873, Joseph b. Feb. 24, 1875, Ambrose b. June 1877, Christina b. Dec. 5, 1884, Margaret b. Aug. 4, 1886 - d. 1887 and Agnes b. Apr. 1890 in New Jersey. Alice died on Jan. 4, 1901 and John on May 3, 1903. Sadly only three of their children survived them; Mary, Ambrose and Agnes.
The heirs sold to James Sullivan in March 1913. Sullivan owned the home until 1960 when he sold to Margaret C.West. West had the home for 11 years selling to Gerard A. Eileen M. DuBois on March 25, 1971. The DuBois transferred their property into The Dubois Realty Trust in Dec. 1992. The property is now owned by Noel H. & Alexander Taylor.
Nathan W. Hazen – Jan. 5, 1846 – b. 363 leaf 158
James Dooris – Feb. 27, 1854 - b. 490 leaf 234 - $400
John O'Connell - Aug. 29, 1854 - b. 499 leaf 108 Salem deeds
John O'Connell estate, heirs William, Arthur T., John A. David J. Bridget O. Abercrombie, and Mary J. Warden.
John McKenzie - Aug. 19, 1897 - b. 157 p. 358 Lawrence, deeds
John McKenzie estate heirs; Mary A. Ganley, Agnes C. McKenzie and Ambrose J. McKenzie
James Sullivan - Mar. 26, 1913 - b. 328 p. 358
Margaret C. West - Oct. 22, 1960 - b. 925 p. 398
Gerard & Elieen Dubois - Mar. 25, 1960 - 1168 p. 88
The Dubois Realty Trust - Dec. 9, 1992 - b. 3618 p. 128
Noel & Alexander Taylor - 7415 p. 210
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||John O'Connell House|
|Construction Date||1865 - 1869|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||vinyl clapboards & trim|
|Major Alterations||attached porch 20th century|
|Map and parcel||72-15|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 1/2014|