60 - 60 R Morton Street

Architectural Description: 

60 Morton St. is a one and half story house in a modified Cape style home. Similar in size & plan of several other homes on this end of the street. Gable end facing the street.
Used as apartments; 1 of 3 buildings on same lot.
Town records show a 1988 permit for alterations. We believe Unit 60R may have been originally a barn and converted to a rental unit.

The three cottages on this lot were converted into the Morton Court Condominiums on March 17, 1989.
60 Morton St. now Unit B was built 1855 -1856 by Rogers Sweeney and was the first home on the property. The three cottages on this lot were converted to the Morton Court Condominiums on March 17, 1989. Unit A, #58 Morton was moved to the property in 1888. Unit B. Unit C #60R Morton St. is a 20 century addition. Once used as apartments and income property; 1 of 3 buildings on same lot.
Town records show a 1988 permit for alterations. We assume the building was separated and 60 1/2 was made into a separate building.

Historical Narrative: 

Morton St., east of Main St. was first known as Pike Street or Pike Lane, then Green St. on 1872 maps. Pike and East Pike St. appear on earlier deeds. Morton St. originally began at School St. and ended at Main Street. Morton St. was extended to include Pike in the late 1890’s. Pike also was nick-named "Ram Cat Alley" by local old-timers. The Pike Soap Company was located near the intersection of Bartlet St. and later further east on the south side of the road. It was formerly believed some of the houses on the east end of Morton St. were built by Willard Pike for his employees. Recent research disproves this claim. Most of the modest homes were built for Irish emigrants between 1854 – 1860.

George H. French was a merchant in Andover when he purchased 10 acres 9 rods of land from Phillips Academy on Mar. 8, 1854. The parcel’s south border along Pike Street extended down into what is now the “Playstead”. French subdivided the property into house lots along the street. Each lot sold contained a caveat that the new owner had to build a fence along the property line and maintain their half. French sold 3 acres of his property to Frederick Symonds on Feb. 15, 1854 for $450. Symonds then sold to Thomas Donovan on Mar. 2, 1854 for$480. Donovan sold 1 acre to Rogers Sweeney for $200. Sweeney either built or acquired a small dwelling house on the lot. Sweeney sells the parcel with house to Patrick Leahy on April 13, 1857 for $300. Patrick’s surname is listed several ways in documents and is Leihy [Lahey] in the deed.

Patrick Lahey was born in Ireland about 1825 son of Michael & Ellen Lahey. and came to Andover. He married on April 13, 1856 to Catherine Lary b. abt. 1834 in Ireland. Patrick and Catherine had one daughter Ellen b. 1857. The 1860 Valuation Schedule lists Patrick Lahee; 1 acre House and Land $450, Personal estate – Swine $10. In 1870 1 acre $150, House and shed $400. Patrick was a Laborer, died on Feb. 21, 1870 of Brain fever. His estate was probated In Jan. 1873 and his widow Catherine, guardian for their daughter

Ellen Lahey sold the property at Auction on Feb. 3, 1873 for $779 to William Ronan. The Andover Advertiser Feb. 17, 1873 p. 3 lists Guardian’s Sale –Estate consists of land and buildings situated on East Green Street in the South Parish of Andover.
William Stephen Ronan b. Aug. 1830 Ireland, son of John Ronan. William came to the States in 1850 and married in 1857 to Catherine “Kate” (Murphy) b. Nov. 1834 Ireland, dau. of John & Mary ( Morse) Murphy.
Children: Mary E. b. Feb. 1860, Margaret A. b. Oct. 11, 1862, John Joseph b. 1865 , Patrick b. Mar. 7, 1868, William S. b. Aug.6, 1871, Catherine b. Dec. 15, 1872, and James Stephen b. Aug. 14, 1875.
William Sr. died May 31, 1893, of heart disease and his son Patrick died two months earlier of Phthisis on Mar. 9, 1893 age 25. They are interred at St. Augustine’s Cemetery. William’s estate then went to his widow Kate and their children. The property was deeded to Widow Kate Ronan and her son William S. Ronan on Nov. 15, 1898. The 1900 Census lists Catherine and son William at #58 and at #60 is son-in-law John Stewart age 31, a Railroad gate tender, wife Margaret A. (Ronan), and four children; Grace G. b 1892, John J. b. 1894, Elsie b. 1895 and Helen b. 1900.
Catherine "Kate" Ronan died on Aug. 23, 1902 age 62.

The 1910 Census lists William S. Ronan and his sister Mary E. at #60 rear, the first time this house is listed. The parcel now contained the three houses at #58, 60 and 60r, William held the property until his death on Jan. 30, 1917 at age 46 of Bright's disease at Tewksbury State Hospital. Sister Mary died on July 6, 1919 in Somerville, MA. Their brother James Stephen Ronan then inherited the property.

James S. Ronan married on Oct. 18, 1899 to Julia Ann Gilligan b. Aug. 1868 in NY, dau. of William & Liza Gilligan. James & Ann’s children; William S. b. Aug. 3, 1900, James Leonard b. July 19, 1902-d. Oct. 8, 1902, Margaret Louisa b. Aug. 29, 1904, Leonard Joseph b. Feb. 6, 1907 and James Stephen Jr. b. Apr. 9.1911. Wife Julia died Jan. 31, 1940 and James Sr. died April 20, 1954 age 78. The property was held by the Ronan family for 91 years prior to selling 1964. The property came full circle when the Trustees of Phillips Academy purchased the property on July 30, 1981 and held it for seven years.

Gary E. Hall and Brian D. Hollenbeck trustees of H & H Realty Trust purchased on Mar. 14, 1989 and renovated and converted all three properties into the Morton Court Condominiums. Unit A 58 Morton, Unit B #60 and Unit C 60R.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Phillips Academy - by R. Dominique p. 180
Andover Maps. 1855, 1872, 1888, 1906
Andover Resident Directories
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900
Andover Vital Statistics
Andover Townsman Obituaries.
Ancestry.com. Family Genealogies, US & State Census records,
Map plan #11454

Owners;
Trustees of Phillips Academy
George H. French – Feb. 15, 1854 – b.491 leaf 123 - $750 – 10 acres 9 rods
Frederick Symonds – Feb. 15, 1854 – b. 490 leaf 30 – 3 acres $450
Thomas Donovan – Mar. 2, 1854 – b. 490 leaf 281 – 3. Acres $480
Thomas Donovan – Mar. 2, 1854 – b. 490 leaf 281 – 3. Acres $480
Rogers Sweeney, wife Catherine– Oct. 15, 1855 – b. 520 leaf 265 – 1 acre $200
Patrick Leahy, wife Catherine - April 13, 1857 - b. 568 leaf 69 - $300 w/small dwelling house
Patrick Leahy estate, d. Feb. 21, 1870, heir Catherine & Ellen Leahy - Probate - Feb. 3, 1873 - b. 19 p. 528
William Ronan, wife Catherine - Feb. 3, 1873 - b. 19 p. 529 –$779 at auction
Wm. Ronan estate; died May 31,1893 - Ronan heirs;-Catherine, Mary, Catherine, William S., John J., James S. Ronan, Margaret (Ronan) Stewart
Catherine Ronan & William S. Ronan - Nov. 15, 1898 - b. 166 p. 561quit claim deed
Catherine Ronan & William S. Ronan - Dec. 7, 1898 - b. 166 p. 561
Catherine Ronan estate, d. Aug. 25, 1902, Heir. Wm. S. Ronan
William S. Ronan - Mar. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 484
William S. Ronan estate, d. Jan. 30, 1917, Colver J. Stone Adm. - May 17, 1917 -
James S. Ronan, wife Julia - July 14, 1917 - b. 378 p. 434
William A. Ronan - June 17, 1951 p. 751 p. 232
John G. Long - Jan. 7, 1954 - b. 788 p. 214 - deed transfer
William A. & Mildred E. Ronan - Jan. 7, 1954 - b. 788 p. 214
William A. Ronan estate, Mildred E. Ronan - Nov. 29, 1954 - heir Probate
Mary G. Lyons - Aug. 12, 1957 - b. 859 p. 294
William J. Heffernan & Mildred E. Ronan - Aug. 12, 1957 - b. 859 p. 295
Warren K. & Diane N. Knipe - Oct. 8, 1964 - b. 1020 p. 163
James S. & June F. Hill - Jan. 21, 1972 - b. 1187 p. 110
Francis & Barbara Morey, H. Francis & Joyce M. Ritterhaus - June 26, 1981 - b. 1297 p. 457
Trustees of Phillips Academy - July 30, 1981 - b. 1523 p. 12
H. & H. Realty Trust; Gary E. Hall, Brian D. Hollenbeck - Mar. 14, 1989 - b. 2694 p. 155
H. & H. Realty Trust; Gary E. Hall, Brian D. Hollenbeck - Mar. 17, 1989 - b. 2901 p. 185
Morton Court Condominiums - 58 - 60 - 60 1/2 Morton St. - Mar. 17, 1989 - b. 2901 p. 185
Condo Units
Unit A #58 - Kathleen A. Burke - Nov. 20, 1989 - b. 3030 p. 8
Raymond H. & Larisa W. Henderson - Sept. 9, 2002 - b. 7102 p. 217
David W. Fanikos - July 6, 2011 - b. 12538 p. 217
Until B #60 Gary E. Hall – Dec. 29, 1989 – b. 3049 p. 53
Maureen P. Barry – May 27, 1993
Unit C- #60R – Jay L. & Allison (Davies) Hicks – Mar. 17, 1989 – b.2901 p. 234
Maura Keegan Furey – Sept. 21, 1993 – b. 3841 p. 297
Caroline (Shannon) McCarthy – Feb. 8, 1995 – b. 4230 p. 195
Jeffrey L. Arsenault – May 31, 2013 – b. 13492 p. 103

Inventory Data:

StreetR Main St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NamePatrick & Catherine Leahy - William Ronan House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1855-1856
SourceERDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone/granite/brick
Wall/Trimclapboards/vinyl covered
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary StructuresOnce three separate buildings
Major Alterations1988 - Conversion to Condominiums - Entrance changes - window replacement, interior upgrades.
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.589 acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel40-80
Recorded bySean Croft, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission
Date entered6/11/91, 4/8/06, 4/14/2015, 7/24/2021

Images: 

Map: