Unique double mirror image apartment building with exquisite features. Twin curved glass bays on the first floor.
Porch and roof fencing, sunset widows in dormers. Eyebrow doormer in center roof line with railing.
Deep eaves with extensive corbel brackets.
Modified steep hip roof broken up mass with gable dormers.
Themes: Architectural, community development.
This parcel was once part of the larger Amos Blanchard homestead property at 97 Main St. (now the home of the Andover Historical Society) The Blanchard lot extended along Main St. from Locke Street to 77 Main Street. The Edward Taylor family owned the Blanchard house and land from 1849 - 1893. Edward Taylor died on May 23, 1893 and Oliver B. Taylor, was appointed Executor of Taylor's estate June 12, 1893 - probate court. Oliver Taylor began selling off house lots north and south of the Taylor homestead.
Ovid Chapman purchased the lot from Taylor on July 21, 1897 and built the double apartment house as income property. Oct. 15, 1897 AT p1 – "Work on O. Chapman’s new double house on Locke Street is progressing rapidly." Chapman was a real estate developer and built several homes in the neighbor hood. Chapman Ave is named for him. Ovid mortgaged the house in July 1902 for $4250 to William H. Wade. Chapman however defaulted on the load and his daughter Harriet (Hattie) Chapman purchased the outstanding mortgage 0f $3000. from Wade and her father deeded the property to her in May 1908. Harriett and her mother Rose A. Chapman held the property form 1908-1926.
Chapman sold to Daniel Hartigan in Oct. 1926. Daniel Hartigan open his drugstore in the K&D Block at 62 Main Street in 1924. It was in operation for over 50 years at the corner location. CVS Pharmacy now occupies a portion of his former space. The property then went to John J. & Celeste Hartigan Dec. 2, 1930 - 1945
Raymond & Ruth Wilkinson purchased the property on Aug. 23, 1945. and held for ten years selling to Dorothy S. McBride in June 1955.
Joseph B. & Mirium Doherty bought on September 16, 1963. Dennis A. Doherty got the property in Feb. 1976 and held for 27 years.
On Jan 10, 2003 Darlene Raza acquired the property.
Essex Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Map 1541 Aug. 1945 - John J. Hartigan
Rev. Amos Blanchard Jr. - 1849 - by Will
Edward Taylor - Mar. 5, 1849 - b. 408 lf. 192-194
Edward Taylor Estate - died May 23, 1893
Oliver B. Taylor - Executor - June 12, 1893 -probate court
Ovid Chapman - July 21, 1897 b. 156 p. 595 lot
William H. Wade - July 1, 1902 - b. 196 p. 352 mtg.
Ovid Chapman - May 9, 1908 - b. 260 p. 556 possession
Harriett Chapman & Rose A. Chapman - May 9, 1980 - b. 260 p. 557
Daniel Hartigan - Oct. 20, 1926 - b. 526 p. 515
John J. Hartigan - Dec. 2, 1930
John J. & Celeste Hartigan - Aug. 23, 1945 - b. 676 p. 17 small triangle peice
Raymond & Ruth Wilkinson - Aug. 23, 1945 - b. 676 p. 19
Dorothy S. McBride - June 28, 1955 - b. 815 p. 412
Joseph B. & Mirium Doherty - Sept. 16, 1963 - b. 994 p. 34
Dennis A. Doherty - Feb. 3, 1976 - b. 1275 p. 175
Darlene Raza - Jan. 10, 2003 - b. 7429 p. 178
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Chapman - Hartigan House|
|Wall/Trim||wood shingles, vinyl cladding clapboards|
|Acreage||11,060 sq. ft. Approximate frontage 70'|
|Map and parcel||NONE|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77 02/17/2006, 3/2014|