Shingle Style home originally natural shingles
Palladian window in gable of facade
Port cochere with Doric columns
Dentil work on eaves
This property was once part of the Nathan W. Hazen Estate (formerly the James Locke Estate) at 111 Main Street which extended from Locke Street to Morton Street. John H. & Frances A. Flint purchased the property in October 1888 and began to divide the former estate into house lots which spurred development on both Locke Street and southward along Main Street. Frances Flint sold two adjoining lots #8 and #12 Locke Street to John N. & Minnie Cole in December 1888. These were the first two lots sold on the street. John Nelson Cole became the owner of the Andover Press and publisher of the Andover Townsman.
March 25, 1892 AT - "The contract to build a house on Locke Street for John N. Cole has been let to contractor C. B. Mason"
Cole sold the house in 1913 to J. Judson Dean. who owned the property for eight years.
Frank A. Connors of Boston bought from Dean on Oct. 31, 1921. Joseph W Walworth became the new owner in Dec. 1921 and in Nov.1925 the deed was changed to Joseph E. & Frances M. Walworth. Joseph died on Aug. 9, 1958 and Frances sold the property six years later. They had owned for 43 years.
William E, & Terese Moriarty purchased in June 1964 and remained ten years. Robert P. & Colleen R. Wilson were the next owners in August 1974 -1977. James V. & Claudia A. Lavin Jr. purchased the house in Dec. 1977 and lived here 12 years sellin in 1989 to Frederick A. & Susan T. Putnam in August. The Putnams sold in April 1995 to Anthony E. & Deborah F. Turiano who are the current residents in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Daniel Cummings - 1818 -1825
James Locke - 1825 - 1840
Nathan W. Hazen - 1840 – 1887
Mary P. Hazen estate, Abby Pingree - 1887 – 1888
Frances A. Flint & John H. Flint - Oct. 16, 1888 - b. 97 p.453
John N. Cole - Dec. 1, 1888 - b. 99 p. 420 two lots.
J. Judson Dean - April 29, 1913 - b. 329 p. 591
Frank A. Connors - Oct. 31, 1921 - b. 449 b. 574
Joseph E. Walworth - Dec. 14, 1921 - b. 452 p. 222 quit claim
Margaret E. Walsh -
Joseph E. & Frances M. Walworth Nov. 6, 1925 - b. 517 p. 378
Frances M. Walworth - estate of Joseph - Aug. 1959 Probate #259204
William E. & Terese O. Moriarty - June 23, 1964 - b. 1015 p. 124
Robert P. & Colleen R. Wilson - Aug. 12, 1974 - b. 1247 p. 47
James V. & Claudia A. Lavin Jr. - Dec. 12, 1977 -b. 1327 p. 288
Frederick A. & Susan T. Putnam - Aug. 11, 1989 - b. 2981 p. 78
Anthony E. & Deborah F. Turiano - Apr. 28, 19955 - b. 4248 p. 248
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||The John Cole House|
|Present Use||residence -|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||Port Cochere a later addition|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||40-3|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||02/17/2006, 3/2014|