attractive site, well set back, hip roof
Themes - Architectural and Community Development
This property once belonged to Harry M. & Hetty U. Eames who sold a lot of vacant land to Frank D. Valpey and wife Abbie H. Valpey for $600 on March 29, 1916. The Valpeys had the Craftsman style bungalow built. Frank D. R. Valpey was born Oct. 25, 1851 in Lawrence, MA, son of Daniel S. A. & Eliza Ann (Stevens) Valpey, grandson of Samuel Valpey the Andover butcher. His father ran Daniel ran the wholesale butcher shop in Lawrence where Frank first began in the family business. Frank married on October 10, 1877 in Lawrence to Abigail Amanda Holt. Abbie was b. Feb. 14, 1850 in Andover, daughter of Nathan & Abigail C. Holt. Frank later became a spring watch dealer and maker. He and Abbie lived at 25 Beacon St. in Lawrence. They had three children: Grace Elizabeth b. Aug. 12, 1882, Gertrude B. b. Nov. 7, 1886 and Frank D. R. Jr. b. July 31, 1889.
Frank Jr. lists 131 Elm St. as his residence in the WWI draft registration in 1917. His occupation was assistant textile designer at Ayer Mill in Lawrence.
Daughter Grace married Dr. Henry Follansby Dearborn, Gertrude married Frederick R. Noyes and Frank Jr. married Gladys Parker. Frank Sr. and Abbie lived at 131 Elm St. from 1916 to 1923. Frank & Abbie then moved to the new Shawsheen Village, renting 7 York Street. Abbie died on Nov. 15, 1929. Frank died on July 12, 1947. Both are interred a Christ Church Cemetery, Andover, MA with Frank' parents Daniel & Eliza Valpey.
The home was purchased by Theodore Alfred Lemieux of Lawrence on July 12, 1923. Lemieux owned the property for thirty years and upon his death the New England Trust Co. Executors of his estate sold the home on Nov. 17, 1953 via probate court.
Paul W. & Genevieve Collins purchased the property on Nov. 23, 1953 and continue as owners of record. Paul Collins died a few years ago.
In November 1989, Margaret Roberts, a resident of Pine St. and member of the Andover Historical Society writes -" In the 1920's Mary E. (Molly) Burns owned and resided in the house." From the deeds we discover that Molly Burns most likely rented the property from Lemieux. "Paul Collins purchased the house from her (or her estate) and still lives there" . Paul Collins former taxi owner in town. [May (Shorten) Bell].
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
11/1989 Margaret (Collins) Roberts - AHS
Harry M. & Hetty U. Eames - land
Frank D. & Abbie H. Valpey - March 29, 1916 - b. 363 p. 99 - lot $600
Theodore Alfred Lemieux - July 12, 1923 - b. 482 p. 448
Theodore Alfred Lemieux estate, New England Trust Co. Executors - Nov. 17, 1953 - Probate
Paul W. & Genevieve Collins - Nov. 23, 1953 - b. 784 p. 233
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Frank D. & Abbie Valpey House|
|Construction Date||1916 - 1917|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||slate - gable|
|Acreage||1.8 acres, 20,900 sq. ft., 100 ft. approxiamate frontage|
|Map and parcel||21-141|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/12/2016|