Preservation Awards

Since 1990, the Andover Preservation Commission, jointly with the Andover Historical Society and the BallardVale Historic District Commission, has issued preservation awards in May to coincide with National Preservation Month. The program recognizes individuals, organizations, institutions and businesses that have demonstrated commitment to historic preservation and contributed to the revitalization and protection of Andover’s heritage. Awards are given in the catagories of exterior preservation, sympathetic addition, adaptive reuse, architectural compatibility in an existing neighborhood and craftsmanship. To nominate a property, please contact us by using the contact tab on this website.

26th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2016    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
125 Bailey Road: Samuel and Sally Bailey Farm 125 Bailey Road Exterior Preservation Kirstin and James Clarke Georgian

circa 1730

39 Porter Road: Disbrow-Manning House 39 Porter Road exterior preservation/sympathetic addition Mark Ratte, Ratte Construction American Four Square with Craftsman elements

Architect: Jane Griswold
circa 1915

10 Stirling Street: Earl A. & Bertha R. Baker House 10 Stirling Street Exterior Preservation Richard and Erin Taylor Colonial Revival

Architect, Chester A. Patten
1921-22

290 Lowell Street: McLanthan-Barnard House 290 Lowell Street exterior preservation/sympathetic addition Kevin O’Brian, O’Brian Builders Greek Revival

Architect: Mark Yanowitz,
circa 1840

111 Reservation Road: Joshua Holt & Deacon Solomon Farm 111 Reservation Road Exterior Preservation Donald and Kristen Hunt Federal

1790

40 High Street: Reverend Henry Wilbur House 40 High Street Exterior Preservation Lewis Trumbore Gothic Revival

circa 1850

537 Lowell Street: Belissievere House 537 Lowell Street Exterior Preservation Justin Nelson and Christina Frazier Cape

circa 1930

133 Elm Street: Kareem W. & Katherine Hajjar House 133 Elm Street exterior preservation/sympathetic addition Architect: Flavin Architects, Boston Builder: Black Dog International

Architect: Flavin Architects, Boston
Builder: Black Dog
circa 1950

25th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2015    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Style Notes
410 High Plain Road, Boutwell Barn 410 High Plain Road Exterior Preservation English, New England , Pennsylvania Barn Bank Style

circa 1855

Shawsheen River at Lowell Junction and Redspring Road MBTA Railroad bridges Railroad bridge Preservation through stabilization and restoration

built 1847

51 Red Spring Road, Deacon Paschal Abbot House 51 Red Spring Road Exterior Preservation Federal Style with Greek Revival & Italianate details

built 1820-23

46 Chestnut Street, Jenkins-Pomerory-McCarthy House 46 Chestnut Street Exterior Preservation Queene Anne Style

built 1885-86

273 North Main Street, Arden Estate Arden Estate Appreciation for ongoing historic preservation of Arden, its buildings and the surrounding historic landscape

built 1847

89 Prospect Road, The Holt Farm 89 Prospect Road Appreciation for continuing preservation of the building and surrounding historic landscape Georgian Style

built 1714

160 Lowell Street, Edward W. Burtt House 160 Lowell Street Exterior Preservation Greek Revival with Gothic detail

built 1890

24th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2014    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
53 Salem Street 53 Salem Street Exterior/interior preservation Federal Style

Prentice House, built 1795

52 Lowell Street 52 Lowell Street Exterior preservation Shingle Style

Caretakers House at Arden
built circa 1900

35 School Street 35 School Street Exterior preservation Italianate Style

Wilson-Carter House, built 1888

39 School Street 39 School Street Exterior preservation and sympathetic addition Federal Style

French-Jenkins House, circa 1830

2 Eastman Road 2 Eastman Road Architecturally appropriate new construction in an historic neighborhood

Moriarty House, new construction

70 Elm Street, Deacon Isaac Abbot's Tavern. 1680-1740 70 Elm Street Interior/exterior preservation, sympathetic addition Joseph J. & Ann Marie Nunes Georgian

Mark Ratte, Ratte Construction and architect, Sally DeGann were responsible for the historically sensitive exterior and interior restoration, including a limited interior expansion into an attached carriage barn, and a sympathetic addition of a small side entryway. Shutters were made to exactly match the few remaining original shutters.

106 Main Street 106 Main Street Exterior preservation Greek Revival Style

Amos Abbott House, circa 1833

98 Central Street 98 Central Street Exterior preservation Shingle Style

Foster House, built 1901

23rd Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2013    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
154 Andover Street 154 Andover Street Collen and Jeff Fuller Late Greek Revival

Built: 1885 by Hardy and Cole

One Main Street One Main Street 1-7 Main Street LLC, Tom Belhumeur Victorian

Built 1884

14 Florence Street 14 Florence Street Dr. William C. Daly and Nancy E. Grice Queen Anne Style

Built 1889

18 Oriole Drive 18 Oriole Drive Tracy Goodman

Built 1958

15 Elm Street 15 Elm Street Century Bank

Built 2012

28 Elm Street 28 Elm Street Free Christian Church Federal Style

Built circa 1800

34 Essex Street 34 Essex Street Barry R. Finegold and William J. Dalton Gothic Revival Style

Built 1845 by Jacob Chickering

54 Woodland Road 54 Woodland Road Stephen and Sally Peabody Cape Style

Built 2012

60 Bartlet Street 60 Bartlet Street Gary Pare and Mercedes Guiance Georgian Revival Style

Built 1892

John Watson The Gothic Carpenter Craftsmanship Award
128 Reservation Road, West Parish Garden Cemetery October 2015 Appreciation for Historic Preservation Caretakers: West Parish Garden Cemetery Committee historic garden cemetery

100th Anniversary of the West Parish Garden Cemetery 1909-2009

21st Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2011    

Award winner Award photo(s) Owners Style Notes
10 Chester Street 10 Chester Street Joe Lourerio and Ellen Stanford Transitional Queen Ann, Stick Style

built 1890

15 Locke Street 15 Locke Street Leila K. and Raphael J. Brickman Colonial Revival and Shingle Style

built 2011

33 Hidden Road 33 Hidden Road Samuel and Courtney Adams Craftsman-Prairie School

built circa 1910

43 High Street 43 High Street Minh Huynh Victorian

built circa 1850

56 Salem Street 56 Salem Street Laura and Chris Moulson Techbuilt, Modular

Built 1959

68 Central Street 68 Central Street Henry Benjamin and Sarah Jane Younger French Second Empire

Built 1873

78 Maple Avenue 78 Maple Avenue Cynthia J. Martini and Robert J. Van Andel

Built 1850, moved 1883;

aka "The Shawshin Engine House"

298 North Main Street 298 North Main Street Rosalyn Wood Craftsman Bungalow

Built circa 1904

Addison Gallery Addison Gallery Phillips Academy

Built 1931

20th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2010    

Award winner Award photo(s) Owners Style Notes
2 Chestnut Street The Rose Cottage Carroll and Elaine Bailey Cape

built 1784 by Abner Abbot

18-20 Summer Street Bill Johnson Transitional Greek Revival/Italianate (new construction)

Central Street National Register Historic District
built 2002

20 Main Street -- The Town House 20 Main Street -- The Town House Town of Andover Romanesque Revival

National Register of Historic Places
built 1857: Theodore Voelkers, Builders: Abbot and Clement
restored 1987: Architects, Ann Beha Architects
contractor: Mansco Construction Company

56 Central Street, George Abbott House and Barns 56 Central Street, George Abbott House and Barns Kuni Suzuki Schmertzler Federal

Central Street National Historic Register District
built 1796

100 School Street ~ Third Railroad Station 100 School Street Mark Spencer Shingle and Romanesque Revival

National Register of Historic Places
built 1906

232 Salem Street, The David Gray Farm 232 Salem Street Frederick Taft, Nathalie Andrews and Eleanor Ethridge Federal

National Register of Historic Places
built 1812
builder: John H. Watson, The Gothic Builder

276 North Main Street ~ Arden 276 North Main Street Roselyn Wood Gothic Revival

National Register of Historic Places
built 1847 for John Dove
builder: Jacob Chickering

Ballardvale Mill and Dam 204-206 Andover Street Ballardvale Mill and Dam 204-206 Andover Street Shawsheen River Realty, LLP Shawsheen Coating and Converting Greek Revival

Ballardvale National Register Historic and Local Historic District
built 1836, 1842

Brickstone Square -- York and Haverhill Street Brickstone Square Transwestern Investment Company Georgian Revival

Shawsheen Village National Historic Register District
built 1919 as The Shawsheen Mill for the American Woolen Mill Company

Phillips Academy Phillips Academy

Academy Hill National Register Historic District
built 1778 to the present

West Parish Garden Cemetery West Parish Garden Cemetery

West Parish Center National Historic Register District
caretakers: West Parish Garden Cemetery Committee

19th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2009    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
7 Abbot Street exterior preservation James W. and Mary M. Pannos Greek Revival 1883
23 Arundel Street exterior preservation Mr. and Mrs. Robert McCumber Colonial Revival built 1923

Architect: Addison LeBoutillier
Shawsheen Village National Historic Register District

21 Arundel exterior preservation John and Lynn Makiej Colonial Revival, built 1923

Architect: Addison LeBoutillier
Shawsheen Village National Historic Register District

94 Cheever Circle Contextual Design and Construction in an Existing Neighborhood Andover Community Trust Craftsman style, built 2009

Andover Community Trust House
Architect: John Pearson, Margulies Peruzzi Architects
Builders: Kevin Smith, Smith Construction

71 Lowell Street exterior preservation Charles A. Parrott III and Jean M. Farrell Queen Anne 1883

Richard A. Ward House, Richard Ward, Architect
Individual listing on the National Register of Historic Places

28 School Street, Merrill Memorial Gateway, Abbot Academy exterior preservation Phillips Academy Other, built 1921

Architects: McKim, Mead & White
Academy Hill National Register Historic District

75 Park Street, George F Foster House exterior preservation Christopher and Christine Bensley Victorian Vernacular circa 1880
21 Rocky Hill Road, Mason House exterior preservation David and Stephanie Howard Federal, built 1850
362 Salem Street, Benjamin Jenkins House exterior preservation Larry and Gail Wangarin Federal, circa 1807

Individual listing National Register of Historic Places

18th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2008    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Notes
41 School Street Exterior Preservation Patricia and Robert Linnemann
75 Central Street Preservation Diane and Michael Sullivan

circa 1880

73 Bartlet Street Sympathetic Addition Melanie and Seth Bilazarian

built 1888
Architect: Stanley Black

15 Barnard Street Contextually Appropriate Design in New Construction Richard W. Lally Jr.

built 2006

215 Lowell Street Exterior Preservation Carol and Stephen Sawin

circa 1820

Joan Silva Patrakis, Local Historian Certificate of Appreciation for Historic Preservation
76 Salem Street Exterior Preservation Lisa Battaglia-Schwartz and Steven L. Schwartz

circa 1860

2 Riverina Road Sympathetic Addition Timothy Gillespie

circa 1920

267 Andover Street Contextually Appropriate Design in New Construction Jayaram Adirya

Doug Ahern, Builder

Andover Garden Club Andover Garden Club Certificate of Appreciation for 80 Years of Preserving and Beautifying Andover's Public Spaces
Historic Preservation Website Development Team Certificate of Appreciation for Historic Preservation

members: Dean Baumeister, Jim Batchelder, Norma Gammon, Karen Herman, Bill Mitchell, Cord Ohlenbusch, Richard Olson, Fran O'Neil, Lynn Smiledge, Karen Wakeling

17th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2007    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
17 Tewksbury Street Exterior preservation Christian C. and Diane C. Huntress Federal
54 Lupine Road, built 1910 Exterior preservation William T. and Deborah A. Putnam Craftsman
8 High Street Exterior preservation Enterprise Bank
115 Lovejoy Road, circa 1840 Exterior preservation Ms. Elizabeth Brownholtz Transitional Italianate
9 and 11 Clark Road Contextual Appropriateness in New Construction, Exterior preservation Michael Rustuccia

Ballardvale National Historic District, Ballardvale Local Historic District. 9 Clark Road award for Contextual Appropriateness in New Construction. 11 Clark Road award for Exterior Preservation. Contractor/Builder for both projects: Michael Ristuccia

63 Center Street Contextual Appropriateness in New Construction Diane Derby
48 Central Street, Aiken-Ripley-Barnard House, circa 1850 Exterior preservation, Sympathetic addition Lally II Real Estate Trust Italianate

Architect, Rob Bramhall, Builder, Michael Rodden

16 Balmoral Street Community Spirit Award The Balmoral Condominiums
Richard Graber Posthumous Award: Individual Achievement for Photo-documentation of Elm Square and the Town of Andover from the 1960's through 1996

16th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2006    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
11 Argilla Road, built 1924 Sympathetic addition Mr. & Mrs. Thomas and Karen Saulnier Colonial Revival
56 Central Street, carriage barn, circa 1850 Exterior preservation Ms. Kuni Suzuki Schmertzler English style barn

English barns have their doorways on the primary face of the structure rather than the gable end as is common on New England style barns.

19 William Street, built 1920 Sympathetic addition Mr. & Mrs. David and Sally Shirazi Colonial Revival

Award for family room and kitchen addition by architect, Munira Fleyfel, Shirazi Designs

39 High Street, built 1908 Exterior preservation Mr. Andy and Jeanne Bourland Colonial Revival Four Square
286 South Main Street, circa 1914 Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Stan Mann Shingle Style
Gwen Hedrick, West Parish Garden Cemetery Chairwoman individual contribution to historic preservation

The Awards Committee celebrates Gwen Hedrick's unwavering devotion to this important mission. The West Parish Garden Cemetery and Chapel are the crowning jewels of Andover. We have the able leadership of Gwen Hedrick and the West Parish Garden Cemetery Committee to thank for it.

105 Elm Street, circa 1830 Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Mike and Sharon Ristuccia Federal Style
55 Woburn Street, South School, built 1958 Exterior preservation Town of Andover International Style

Architect, Michael Rosefeld of West Acton, MA

48 Clark Road, barn built 1882 Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Roger and Margo Turpening New England style
223 South Main Street, built 2004 Contextual rehabilitation Deer Run Development- James Dimitri contemporary traditional style

This residential building designed by Rob Bramhall, architect, replaced an circa1800 double house moved to 352 South Main Street.

48 Elm Street, circa 1880 Exterior preservation Joyce and Brian Hannan and Discenza Stick Style

15th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2005    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
9 Locke Street, built 1897 Sympathetic addition Mr. & Mrs. Fred and Jennifer Mosher Colonial Revival Shingle Style

New addition built by Blackdog Builders.
Main Street/Locke Street National Historic Register District

23 Pleasant Street, circa 1850 Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. Donald and Sarah Abugov Greek Revival

Mike Ristuccia, developer

50 Walnut Avenue, circa 1890 Sympathetic addition Mr. Steve Jungmann Queen Anne
18-20 Summer Street, built 1850 Contextual Rehabilitation in an existing neighborhood Michael Harkins Realestate Transitional Greek Revival-Italianate

New construction added on to original house townhouse condominiums. Developer, Bill Johnson

13 Bartlett Street, built 1896 Certificate of Appreciation Michael Harkins Realestate 19th century vernacular style
47 Whittier, circa 1890 Certificate of Appreciation ZCR Realty, LLC 19th century vernacular style

Jane Griswold, architect - Ratte Builders

63 Central Street, built 1911 Sympathetic Addition Mr. & Mrs. John and Abby O'Hara Colonial Revival Style

New addition architect, Rob Bramhall. Original architect, Addison LeBoutillier, built this house as an attachment to 59 Central Street. It was separated and moved in 1935. Central Street National Historic Register District.

South Church Cemetery Historic Landscape Preservation Trustees of South Church Cemetery

Central Street National Historic Register District

Susan Lenoe Individual contibution as historic interpreter

Well known for her sensitive portrayals of women important in Andover’s history, Ann Bradstreet, Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Alice Buck, Bessie Goldsmith, Sarah Grimke, and Martha Carrier.

Juliet Mofford Individual contribution to historic preservation

Julie Mofford is an historian, author, playwright and educator who has made many important contributions to preserving the history of Andover.

14th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2004    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
11 Abbot Street, circa 1860 Sympathetic Addition Tim and Karen Wakeling Greek Revival

This charming house sits between two nearly identical residences at 9 and 13 Abbot Street that share similar features. The Wakelings have added a new porch to the building’s south side which complements the original structure and blends in well with its neighbors. Abbot Street offers those who walk or ride a beautiful historic streetscape to enjoy.

200 Andover Street, circa 1850 Certificate of Appreciation for Adaptive Reuse Robert and Stephanie Branca 19th century Industrial design

In the 1860’s, the building was part of the Whipple File Manufacturing Company complex. During the 1880’s the Craighead and Kintz Plant occupied the building. This company manufactured artistic bronzes, plaques, inkwells and lamps. 200 Andover was also a part of a complex of mill buildings in Ballard Vale center that American artist Charles Sheeler found and photographed during his stay in Andover in 1946 as artist-in-residence at the Addison Gallery of American Art at Philips Academy.

36 Haggetts Pond Road, circa 1936 Certificate of Appreciation Richard and Marilyn Kelley Dutch Colonial- Colonial Revival
12 Gray Road Sympathetic Addition Mr. & Mrs. Robert and Ann Gilbert

Tom Childs, builder-Craig Gibson architect

18 Carisbrooke Street, circa 1880 Certificate of Appreciation Kendall and Eleanor Storch Queen Anne

This modest Queen Anne style house located at 18 Carisbrooke is rare in Shawsheen Village. It was moved from 40 Haverhill Street in 1923 during the creation of the village by William Madison Wood to make way for the American Woolen Mill Company, now Brickstone. Shawsheen Village National Historic Register District.

9 Bancroft Road, built 1790 Certificate of Appreciation Timothy and Lucy Vaill Georgian
232 Salem Street Landscape & Preservation Fredrick, Nathalie, Eleanor Taft, Andrews, Ethridge

Carpenter shop and weaving house reconstruction

Al Retelle Landscape Preservation

As a horticulturalist, Al Retelle has a long association with the landscape. From 1960-1965, he was president of AVIS. In 1965, Al Retelle made a dramatic and successful plea for a conservation commission at Town Meeting. Andover was early to adopt the idea of acquiring and conserving open space to protect the watershed. Al became the first chairman of the Conservation Commission and served from 1960-1963. He and others like Harold Rafton, inventoried the open land in Andover. Al has been the warden of Baker’s Meadow since the AVIS warden system began. He has also served on the West Parish Garden Cemetery Committee. He was awarded the Outstanding Service Award from Mass Audubon Society in 1969, and the Director’s Award as Outstanding Employee of the State in 1997.

58 Red Spring Road, circa 1880 Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. Anthony and Odalis Rosano Greek Revival-vernacular

Andover Village National Register Historic District

13th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2003    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
Ruth Davis Sharpe Lifelong Contribution to Historic Preservation

Ruth Sharpe was the heart of BallardVale. As a librarian, historian and active church member, she was a walking encyclopedia of local history.

60 Chestnut Street barn, circa 1850 Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. Cliff and Rona Markell English style barn

English style barn moved from 361 River Road to 60 Chestnut Street preserved this vulnerable agriculture building. Cupola was salvaged from a barn at 63 Whittier Street.

6 Smithshire Estates, circa 1858 Certificate of Appreciation Ms. Janice Stewart Picturesque Gothic style

This Picturesque Gothic cottage was built for Peter Smith's gardener. When the Smith mansion was torn down in 1948, the gardener’s house was moved from Shawsheen Road around the corner to 6 Smithshire Estates.

342 North Main Street, Post Office Building, built 1923 Certificate of Appreciation Attorney Richard Kiley Colonial Revivial

Shawsheen Village National Historic Register District. Originally the building housed a post office, the office of the American Woolen Mill Company Farms and offices for publications and civil engineers. A community market and assembly hall were on the third floor.

1 Judson Road, circa 1860 Certificate of Appreciation Phillips Academy Picturesque Gothic

Known as the Woods House after Professor Leonard Woods, this home had associations with the Andover Theological Seminary. Woods was their first professor of Christian theology.
Academy Hill National Historic Register District.

Richard Bowen-Ballardvale Green, Andover and Center St. Preservation of Historic Streetscape Town of Andover

The Town of Andover razed the historic BallardVale Community Center in the 1970's, an act from which the residents of BallardVale have never quite recovered. Not content with the empty lot where the building once stood, residents, and in particular, Richard Bowen, sought to do something positive by expanding the existing village green in hopes that it would serve as a central focus for the Vale, a place on which BallardVale residents could gather, hold events, meet their neighbors and build a sense of community. Ballardvale National Register Historic District.

53 Poor Street, circa 1920 Sympathetic Addition Robert Frishman and Jean Shinto Colonial Revival

This Colonial Revival cottage was designed by architect James E. Allen for William Madison Wood’s model mill town, Shawsheen Village, around 1920. Architect Jane Griswold designed the new addition.

14 Orchard Street, circa 1920 Certificate of Appreciation Frank and Hanne Castle Craftsman

A former barn located at 10 Orchard Street converted by architect and designer Addison LeBoutillier into a residence for himself. Robert Wilkie, craftsman and carpenter, has worked with the Castle's to maintain the home as LeBoutillier intended.

66 Burnham Road, circa 1850 Certificate of Appreciation Janice Meagher Greek Revival

The house was first located at 55 Essex Street and owned by the Boston and Maine Railroad. It was used as the gatekeepers house. In 1960, it was moved to 4 Railroad Avenue where Christy’s Market is now located. In 1973, it was purchased by Donald Richmond and moved to its present location at 66 Burnham Road. It may have the distinction of being one of the most moved buildings in Andover!

9 Andover Street, circa 1700 Certificate of Appreciation Dean and Joan Kemper First Period Colonial

Independent listing on the National Register of Historic Places. This rare and important Andover first period colonial home was built for Sarah Farnam by Benjamin Abbot sometime after 1686. It remained in the Abbot family through eight generations until 1933. The Town of Andover has been fortunate that the subsequent owners of this house have understood and valued its importance to the history of the community and the nation.

12th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2002    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
1924 House, Highland Rd, built 1851 1924 House-Highland Rd Certificate of Appreciation Phillips Academy Greek Revival

Built as the Phillips District School House by the Town of Andover in 1851, this one room Greek Revival building served the district until 1889. In 1890 it was sold to Ira Eastman and converted to a home. Phillips Academy acquired the building in the 1901 and moved it to Highland Road where it was used for faculty housing and student house meetings. It was named 1924 House in honor of the class of 1924. In 2002, the building was moved for the third time further down Highland Road, restored and enlarged.

49 Elm Street, circa 1890 49 Elm Street Certificate of Appreciation Steven Milley Queen Anne

This small charming late 19th century vernacular cottage with Queen Anne style decoration appears on town maps in 1906. We believe that the house was moved to this location probably from an area of Elm Street closer to the downtown to make way the expansion of the business district and the construction of the Free Christian Church.

8-10 Ridge Street, circa 1888 8-10 Ridge Street Certificate of Appreciation Donald Richmond Transitional Italianate

Sitting on what has historically been known as depot hill, this attractive transitional two family house includes both Italianate bracket work and a Stick Style front porch which compliment the building's symmetrical façade.
The house was probably built by Jerimiah Cullinaine during the year 1888. He was a section man for the Boston and Maine Railroad and lived there with his family, Julia and Katherine who were both employed by the Tyer Rubber Company.
Two family houses of this period are atypical in Andover.

111 Highland Road Highland Road pond landscape preservation Andrea and Peter Chermeyoff

The Awards Committee believes that the work represented by this landscape project should be recognized as significant. What could have been an unsightly drainage area has been developed into a beautiful pond in a natural woodland setting. The Chermeyoff's have worked hard to stabilize this area under very difficult conditions. We believe their work is in the best tradition of Frederick Law Olmstead who designed his parks to reflect a quiet natural environment.

15 Chestnut Street, circa 1880 15 Chesnut Street Adaptive Reuse Louisa Tanner Queen Anne

The 1884 map shows that the house was owned by Smith and Dove Company. Today, the house is occupied by a retail business, Sophistikids. In town circles it's still known as "Bill Doherty's house".

289 Lowell Street, circa 1850 289 Lowell Street Certificate of Appreciation Greek Revival

This late Greek Revival farmhouse with connected buildings is in the best tradition of New England farmhouses. Greek Revival style elements seen here include the gable end of the building that faces the street and the use of engaged pillars at the corners of the house The house was owned by W.R. Lovejoy in 1852. Long time 20th century owners were the Winslow family. George Winslow was the former town clerk.

36 Morton Street, built 1907 36 Morton Street Certificate of Appreciation Mr. and Mrs. John Avery Craftsman

The house was built in 1907 by Heman Winthrop Peirce. The house was sold to Douglas G. and Frances Crawford. He was first a teacher at Phillips Academy and then the Huntington School in Boston. The Crawfords appear to have lived in the house until about 1928. The house was then rented to the current owner's family who eventually bought it in 1935.

31 Elm Street, Free Christian Church, built 1907 Free Christian Church Sympathetic Addition Free Christian Church

This addition to the Free Christian Church, designed by Domenic Sicari , Associates LTD is both sympathetic to the original 1907 structure in materials and style and unique with the incorporation of a dome. The 1907 building was designed by the most prestigious firm of the day, McKim, Mead and White of New York, William Symmes Richardson, architect.

305 South Main Street, Pearson Farmhouse 305 South Main Street Pearson Farmhouse Certificate of Appreciation for Preservation David Barrett

Certificate of Appreciation for moving Pearson Farmhouse, circa 1850 from 254 South Main Street to 305 South Main Street to save it from demolition and preserve it.
Pearson Farmhouse, part of the Academy Hill National Register Historic District, once had a distinctive setting on a hillside just south of the Phillips Academy campus.

305 South Main Street, Pearson Farmhouse 305 South Main Street Pearson Farmhouse Certificate of Appreciation for Preservation David Barrett

Certificate of Appreciation for moving Pearson Farmhouse, circa 1850 from 254 South Main Street to 305 South Main Street to save it from demolition and preserve it.
Pearson Farmhouse, part of the Academy Hill National Register Historic District, once had a distinctive setting on a hillside just south of the Phillips Academy campus.

375 South Main Street, Captain Stephen Abbt House, circa 1825 375 South Main Street-Mike Ristuccia Certificate of Appreciation for Preservation Mike and Sharon Ristuccia Federal

Certificate of Appreciation for moving the Captain Stephen Abbot House, circa 1825, from 45 Ballardvale Road to 375 South Main Street.

268 Highland Road, built 1957 268 Highland Road Exterior and Interior Preservation Mr. & Mrs. Robert Reck International Style

The architect for the project was Joanna Reck, daughter of the owners. The committee is especially appreciative of the Reck family's preservation effort. Houses of this period are particularly vulnerable to demolition at this time of sustained development demand. This project is a strong confirmation that International Style houses are inherently livable and charmingly modern.

11th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2001    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
186 Summer Street, built 1999 contextually appropriate design in an existing neighborhood Mike Phillips Cape

Mark Phillips, builder, designed this Contemporary Cape in a manner that well suits its surrounding late 1950's neighborhood in both size and scale.

13 Summer Street, circa 1873 Certificate of Appreciation Alan Pratt & Cynthia Good Italiante

This gracious Italianate home is located on land which was originally a part of Nathaniel Whittier's estate. The Whittier land was broken up and sold for house lots. Evidence suggests that an earlier period structure may have been incorporated into the house. A hand-made brick arch in the cellar is said to be the remains of an early blacksmith's forge. The carriage house was originally the stable, as the stalls and hayloft are still evident.

41 Carmel Road, circa 1900 Certificate of Appreciation for Architectural Design Bob Bramhall Craftsman

Sear-Roebuck Catalog sold mail order houses and garages to potential homeowners for a number of years. They were offered in a variety of styles. Mr. Bramhall and his family restored and modified this house and lived in it until recently.

6 Stinson Road, built 1724 Certificate of Appreciation for Architectural Design Peter and Shirley Schwartz First Period Georgian

The Abbot-Stinson Farm, constructed circa 1724 was nominated to National Register of Historic Places by Boston University's thematic nomination on First Period House in Essex County. Georgian in style it has a clapboard exterior, Federal vestibule, symmetrical façade, two stories with five bays, a central chimney house with projecting one story Federal style lobby entrance and nearly regular fenestration with four windows below and five windows above. Rob Bramhall, architect, recognized for sympathetic addition design.

49 Salem Street, circa 1798 Certificate of Appreciation Peter & Wendy Cowie Federal

Located along one of the oldest streets in Andover, the road to Salem Village, this beautiful Federal style home was built c. 1798.

339 North Main Street-Shawsheen Garage, built 1921 exterior preservation Bill DeLuca Colonial Revival

The Shawsheen Garage was built in 1921 by William M. Wood, president of the American Woolen Company, as part of the Shawsheen Mill Villages. Wood considered individual garages unaesthetic, so residents were required to park their cars in this common garage, which included a repair shop. Building originally designed by Adden & Parker of Boston.

98 Greenwood Road, circa 1890 Certificate of Appreciation John Hogan Vernacular Greek Revival

This charming house and its attached barn are composed of several styles: vernacular Greek Revival, elements of Stick Style as demonstrated by its steep gables and asymetrical façade and decorative details loosely drawn from Gothic sources.

117 Elm Street, circa 1890 Certificate of Appreciation Albert & Deborah Kyle New England Vernacular

This quiet New England farmhouse is beautifully sited away from Elm Street with a sweeping rear yard, large trees and a separate contemporary barn.

99 Chestnut Street, circa 1890 Certificate of Appreciation Thomas & Allison Cody Greek Revival

This simple Greek Revival style is characterized by a gable end facing the street. Such houses are usually three bays wide and two stories high. A one story porch stretches across the façade supported by round columns. The Cody's removed an earlier alteration to the house and restored not only the porch but the west window to their original configuration.

84 Central Street, circa 1890 Sympathetic Addition John & Tracy Bodette Greek Revival

Greek Revival styling has a prominent pediment on the primary façade and decorative trim which is simple yet bold. The owners have added an addition which compliments the old house in styling, size and scale.

51 Center Street, circa 1850 August 2016 Certificate of Appreciation Massih & Denise Massihzadegan Gothic Revival

Ballardvale National Register Historic District.

5 Argilla Road, circa 1690 Certificate of Appreciation Roger & Mary Desmarais First Period Georgian Saltbox

Independent listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

10th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 2000    

Award winner Owners Notes
79 Sunset Rock Road Craig & Kristina Liversidge
175 Summer Street Dorothy Dearborn
88 Spring Grove Road Joseph & Barbara Sullivan
95 Old River Road - The Andover Companies Alan Kober

Vice President, Andover Companies

Hunter's Ridge (Martingale Lane) 27 units
13 Florence Street Gregory Luckman
Cochran Chapel, Phillips Academy Phillips Academy
68 Cheever Circle Diana Fay
Chapman Avenue
41 Bartlet Street Agatha & Salvatore DeYoreo

9th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1999    

Award winner Owners
Wood Memorial Park Town of Andover
West Parish Garden Cemetery Stone Chapel West Parish Garden Cemetery Committee
373 South Main Street - Holt-Cogswell House Michael & Sharon Ristuccia
75 Park Street - Foster House Christopher & Christine Bensley
9 Hidden Road - Crawford House Alden & Elizabeth French
60 Chestnut Street - Higginson House Cliff & Ronna Markell
71 Central Street - Belknap House George & Merideth Borstell
48 Central Street - Aiken House Richard Sr. & Richard Jr. Lally

8th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1998    

Award winner Award
Stephen Kearn Family Historic contribution to preservation
School Street - Draper & Abbot Halls Restoration and adaptive use
111 Reservation Road Certificate of Appreciation
29 Morton Street Sympathetic addition
4 Joyce Terrace Certificate of Appreciation
7 Hearthstone Place Sympathetic addition
2 Chestnut Street Certificate of Appreciation
29 Central Street-Christ Church Rectory Certificate of Appreciation
25 Central Street Certificate of Appreciation

7th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1997    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award
31 Tewksbury Street August 2016 Certificate of Appreciation
197 Shawsheen Road Certificate of Appreciation
31-33 School Street Certificate of Appreciation
100 School Street Certificate of Appreciation
55 Red Spring Road Certificate of Appreciation
9 Locke Street Certificate of Appreciation
8 Kensington Street Certificate of Appreciation
125 Dascomb Road Certificate of Appreciation
56 Central Street Certificate of Appreciation

Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Awards Held in Andover

Preservation Award winners from 1996    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners Style Notes
20 Main Street, Andover Town House, built 1858 State Preservation Award Town of Andover Romanesque Revival

The Town of Andover received a Preservation Award from the Massachusetts Historical Commission in 1989 for the restoration work by Ann Beha Associates of Boston and adaptive reuse of the building. Architect and Andover resident John Dugger was appointed Clerk of the Works to oversee the restoration by Town Manager Kenneth Mahoney. During Andover's 350th Anniversary celebration in 1996, the MHC Preservation Awards were held at the Town House to celebrate the preservation and restoration of this important Town building.

6th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1995    

Award winner Award Owners
42 Summer Street Certificate of Appreciation Ms. Jacqueline Rutter
33 Summer Street Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Lancaster-Rutter
67 Stevens Street Certificate of Appreciation Ms. Elaine LeBlanc
53 Salem Street Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. James Wepsic
61 Porter Road Certificate of Appreciation Ms. Georgia Stanley
54 Morton Street Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. Harold Rutter
69 Maple Avenue Certificate of Appreciation Mr. Mark Lightbown
71 Main Street Adaptive use
459 Lowell Street Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. Penn Clower & Family
269 Highland Road Certificate of Appreciation Mr. & Mrs. William Watt
5 Chester Street Certificate of Appreciation Ms. Julia Barberian
41 Central Street-South Church Restoration

5th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1994    

Award winner Award Owners
65 Park Street Exterior preservation
161 Lowell Street Certificate of Appreciation
31 Lowell Street Certificate of Appreciation
60-62 Essex Street Exterior preservation Ms. Ella & Mary Cargill
70 Elm Street Certificate of Appreciation
103 Dascomb Road Certificate of Appreciation Ms. Dolores Cleland
61 Chestnut Street Exterior preservation
72 Central Street Certificate of Appreciation
206 Andover Street- Stream Industrial Park Exterior preservation
49 Abbot Street Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Joel Parks
47 Abbot Street Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Duncan Will
45 Abbot Street Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Cyril Dadd
43 Abbot Street Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Michael Cole

4th Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1993    

Award winner Award Owners
14 Sunset Rock Road Certificate of Appreciation Mr. Vincent Morton
280 South Main Street Landscape pres. & cert. of appreciation
293 Salem Street Sympathetic addition Mr. & Mrs. Peter Schwarz
16 Post Office Avenue Exterior preservation
68 Phillips Street Certificate of Appreciation
166 Lowell Street Certificate of Appreciation
Jane Griswold Preservation educator and architect
65 Haggetts Pond Road Certificate of Appreciation
23 Central Street Adaptive reuse
189 Abbot Street Certificate of Appreciation

3rd Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1992    

Award winner Award
* Preservation of school history and the quality of student life
13 Sunset Rock Road Landscape preservation
34 School Street Exterior & landscape pres.
89 Prospect Street Landscape preservation
342-46 North Main Street Exterior preservation
256 North Main Street Adaptive reuse
63 Central Street Landscape & preservation
59 Central Street Landscape & preservation
204 Andover Street - Ballardvale Mill Adaptive reuse
153 Andover Street Sympathetic addition

2nd Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1991    

Award winner Award Owners
232 Salem Street Continual restoration
Saint Joseph's Church Streetscape preservation
129 Reservation Road -- West Parish Meadow Historic landscape
Reservation Road - West Parish Church Exterior & interior restoration
15 Railroad Street-Boston & Main Railroad Adaptive reuse
276 North Main Street Exterior & landscape pres.
88 Lowell Street Continual restoration Ms. Ethel Wilson
20 High Vale Lane - St. Josephs Church Streetscape preservation
14 High Vale Lane Streetscape preservation Mr. & Mrs. Mark Foster-Engelberg
12 High Vale Lane Streetscape preservation Mr. & Mrs. James Lyons
10 High Vale Lane Streetscape preservation Mr. John Bachman
8 High Vale Lane Streetscape preservation
6 High Vale Lane Streetscape preservation
4 High Vale Lane Streetscape preservation
67 Central Street Exterior & landscape pres. Mrs. William Perry

1st Preservation Awards

Preservation Award winners from 1990    

Award winner Award photo(s) Award Owners
283 South Main Street Exterior preservation Mr. & Mrs. Paul Salafia
202 Shawsheen Road Exterior preservation
67 Salem Street Certificate of Appreciation
239 River Road Exterior preservation
30 Railroad Street Adaptive reuse
37 Porter Road Certificate of Appreciation
10-16 Main Street Adaptive reuse
106 Main Street Exterior preservation
183 Lowell Street Sympathetic addition Ms. Judy Camber
167 Lowell Street Historic landscape Mr. & Mrs. William Lyons
Haverhill & York Streets Contextual rehabilitation
George Trickett Craftmanship
69-71 Essex Street Exterior preservation
2 Elm Square - Musgrove Bldg. Certificate of Appreciation
57 Central Street Certificate of Appreciation
47 Central Street Certificate of Appreciation
189 Andover Street Exterior preservation
149 Andover Street Bradlee School - Condominiums Adaptive reuse
9 Andover Street Certificate of Appreciation