Federal period home built on the new Essex Turnpike (Route 28) about 1810
Original owner was Capt. & Deacon Abraham J. Gould whose business partner Timothy Flagg had a "twin" house built next door at 234 South Main St.
Abraham Jones Gould was born in 1792 was a printer and book seller. Abraham married on Nov. 16, 1815 to Zervuiah Griffin b. Feb. 6, 1797 in Andover, daughter of Jonathan & Zervuiah Griffin. Abraham & Zervuiah had five children: Henry Jones b. Sept. 28, 1816 - d. Oct. 18, 1816, Esther Maria b. June 28, 1819 - d. Jan. 29, 1847, Abraham b. May 7, 1821 - d. , Julia Ann b. 1822 - d.1894, child b. Dec. 6, 1822 - d. Aug. 25, 1829. Abraham's wife Zervuiah died on May 23, 1823 age 26.
Abraham married a second time on July 8, 1824 in Andover to Mary B. Brown b. 1799 in Tewksbury, MA. Abraham & Mary had six children: Timothy Ballard b. Aug. 2, 1825 - d. Aug. 24, 1825, George B b. June 1830 - d. Oct. 2, 1844, Mary Ballard b. Aug. 24, 1827 - d. ?, child b. Mar. 24, 1834 - d. Mar. 25, 1834, and Edward Brown b. July 27, 1839 - d. Oct. 2, 1844 of the croup. A daughter Zeruiah Elizabeth bapt. April 3, 1831, married Rev. Aaron Colton on July 15, 1840.,
Abraham J. Gould and Timothy Flagg were partners under the name Flagg & Gould and their print shop was located just north of their homes on the green triangle of lawn between Main & Dwight Streets and Highland Rd. as you enter to the Case Memorial Cage. Many publications for Andover Theological Seminary and missionary movement. Through their dedication, Andover Press had an international reputation in education and theology. Both active members of South Church. Gould a deacon for 23 years. Gould was also associated with Ballardvale Manufacturing Company, a stockholder in its corporation with Mark Newman and John Marland. Abraham died on May 24, 1868 at age 76. His wife Mary B. Gould died on Nov. 30, 1893. They are interred at South Parish Cemetery, Andover, MA with several of their children.
Mary B. Gould's estate was administered by George Gould Executor on Jan. 8, 1894 through Probate court. The property was sold four years later to Sarah J. Chandler, wife of George W. on Feb. 9, 1898. With Sarah's death her estate went George W. Chandler. Chandler applied to Land Court for a boundary clarification in 1923. George W. then sold the property to Helen H. Bloombergh, wife of Horace D. on Feb. 27, 1923.
The Trustees of Phillips Academy purchased the home on July 6, 1927 and used it for faculty housing for 48 years. The house was occupied in 1974 by Adair and Judith Miller at the time of the Andover Building Survey in 1974.
Phillips Academy sold to David & Joan Breitman on Sept. 30, 1975.
1830 " Gould
1852 " A. J. Gould
1872 " p. 53, Mrs. Gould
1884 Essex County p. 117, Est. A. J. Gould
1906 plate 24 Geo. W. Chandler, 2 barns, one connected to the house
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Bailey, Sarah Loring: Historical Sketches of Andover, 1880, pages 569 & 593
Paradise, Scott; History of Printing in Andover, 1798-1931, Andover Press, 1931
Andover Maps, local & County
Abraham J. Gould - 1820 - 1868
Abraham J. Gould estate, heir Mary B. Gould - May 24, 1868
Mary B. Gould estate, George Gould Extr. - Nov. 30, 1893.
Mary B. Gould estate, George Gould Extr. - Jan. 8, 1894 - Probate
Sarah J. Chandler, wife of George W. - Feb. 9, 1898 - b. 160 p. 442
Sarah J. Chandler estate, George W. Chandler
George W. Chandler - Nov. 8, 1922 - b. 464 p. 524 - Notice land court
George W. Chandler - Feb. 24, 1923 - b. 469 p. 366 - Disposal
George W. Chandler - Feb. 24, 1923 - Certificate #1192 - Court Decree
Helen H. Bloombergh, wife of Horace D. - Feb. 27, 1923 - Ctf. #1194
Trustees of Phillips Academy - July 6, 1927 - Ctf. #1591
David & Joan Breitman - Sept. 30, 1975 - Ctf. #7361
Paul E. Pullen - Jan. 5, 1981 - Ctf. #8664
Paul E. & Frances M. Pullen - June 3, 1981 - Ctf. #8740
Michael J. & Susan B. Sullivan - Feb. 25, 1986 - Ctf. #9931
Susan B. Sullivan estate, heir Michael J. Sullivan - Jan. 9, 2005 - Doc. (90528-1)
Michael D. & Yeehink Harvey - June 5, 2015 - Ctf. #17312
|Street||South Main St|
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Abraham J. Gould House|
|Construction Date||c. 1810|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Three stall stable - garage at rear|
|Acreage||0.845 acre, 129' frontage|
|Map and parcel||58-20|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, Barbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Oct. 1987, 6/29/2016|