Colonial Revival - Bungalow
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
York Street takes its name from York Minster Cathedral , seat of the Archbishop of York, second highest office in the Church of England. The Gothic Church is one of the largest in Northern Europe. There is also a York Castle, in York, England. A Norman castle built by William I
The north end of York St. was once part of the Walter Kaye property the and Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. The Kaye home was moved to 26 Haverhill St. for construction of York St.
Sept. 3, 1920 AT - "Turner Construction to build new warehouse – 300’ long 3 stories high on the south side of Argyle. Argyle St. runs from the River to the tracks of the B& M RR and is parallel to Haverhill Street." This house and seven others were first built on the entrance road to Mill #1, (now Brickstone) then named Argyle St. The houses were built in error while Mr. Wood was away on tour in Europe. Upon his return and seeing the homes he was reported to have pointed his cane and said, “removed those home immediately” and so they were all relocated to York St. in the fall of 1921.
Andover Townsman (AT) - May 12, 1922 - The houses on York street extension are all completed, sewers have been put in and at the present time the street and sidewalks are being finished.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased or sold through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
A walk down York Street will find a mix of the old and new as Wood moved a few older homes in Frye Village to sites on York St. and Balmoral St. Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises add to the “icing on the cake, of the maintained original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Henry & Martha Speak. Henry work at the Shawsheen Mill of the American Woolen Co. They were here in 1928 and later purchased the house at #36 York in July 1934.
This house was sold to Wallace C. & Caroline E. Fiedler on July 1, 1944. The property was transferred to Caroline E. Fiedler on Oct. 9, 1951
Harry P. & Jean R. Highfield then purchased the home on Sept. 28, 1953.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #26
Fannie S. Smith
Walter A. Kaye - July 7, 1907 - b. 250 p. 315
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. - Mar. 25, 1916 - b. 362 p. 171
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 32th parcel
Wallace C. & Caroline E. Fiedler - July 1, 1944 - b. 665 p. 585
Merrill Rosenberg, Trustee for William C. Fiedler - Oct. 5, 1951
Caroline E. Fiedler - Oct. 9, 1951 - b. 757 p. 455
Harry P. & Jean R. Highfield - Sept. 28, 1953 - b. 781 p. 532
Melvin M. & Esther L. Walker - July 5, 1956 - b. 836 p. 453
Norman S. & Janet A. Wallace - Jan. 16, 1970 - b. 1147 p. 369
David M. & Nancy A. Simili - July 30, 1982 - b. 1594 p. 98
John F. & Patricia G. Burke, Jr. - May 25, 1988 - b. 2735 p. 2
Paula L. Jean - June 26, 1995 - b. 4282 p. 104 - Quit claim
Margarita Broggini - June 26, 1995 - b. 4282 p. 103
John B. & Margarita B. Carroll - June 4, 1997 - b. 4769 p. 111
David J. & Victoria L. Frens - May 28, 1999 - b. 5446 p. 138
Martha Cadigan - Oct. 30, 2003 - b. 8368 p. 313
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Wallace & Caroline Fiedler House|
|Construction Date||1920- 1921|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Slate roof replaced with asphalt shingles, shutters replaced|
|Move Details||Sept. - October 1921|
|Map and parcel||35-20|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/22/2015|