5 William Street

Historical Narrative: 

William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at Andover Town Meeting in March 1923 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.

This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.

After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.

The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.

The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were George L. & Helen C. Gahm. George was a superintendent for the A. W. Co. Gahm is also listed in 1928.

This house was sold to George A. & Maude B. Mellen on July 16, 1935. George worked for Hildreth & Rogers Co. as the secretary & treasurer Eagle- Tribune Publishing Co. George would later become Editor. His wife Maude Brackett grew up in Lawrence, MA, graduated from Lawrence High School and was a classmate of Robert Frost.

Maude B. Mellen estate, James S. Eastman, Walter C. Thompson, Extrs, Dec. 6, 1946
Robert A. & Margaret T. Watters - Dec. 28, 1946 - b. 693 p. 401
Leonard M. & Betty G. Murchison - Aug. 19, 1960

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 19 - 21st parcel

Owners;
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351 - parcel 21st
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 21st
George A. & Maude B. Mellen - July 16, 1935 - b. 590 p. 324
Maude B. Mellen estate, James S. Eastman, Walter C. Thompson, Extrs, Dec. 6, 1946
Robert A. & Margaret T. Watters - Dec. 28, 1946 - b. 693 p. 401
Leonard M. & Betty G. Murchison - Aug. 19, 1960 - b. 921 p. 147
Paul W. & Ella Sue Lindsey, Jr. - Mar. 6, 1963 - b. 987 p. 101
Annette R. Cohen - Mar. 22, 1968 - b. 1105 p. 98
Raymond H. & Melissa W. Flynn, II - Mar. 3, 1993 - b. 3689 p. 207

Inventory Data:

StreetWilliam St
PlaceShawsheen Village - Frye Village
Historic DistrictShawsheen Village NRH District
Historic NameGeorge A. & Maude B. Mellen House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1920 - 1922
SourceERDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleColonial Revival
Architect/BuilderAdden & Parker of Boston
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimbrick veneer/wood
Roofgable - slate
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.209 acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel52-65
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered6/21/2015

Images: 

Map: