Brick facade, few windows, built for function as warehouse
0 Essex St. (parcel 55-1A) .46882 acre lot built circa 1900. (aka as 3 Railroad Ave. separate from Railroad Street on the north side of Essex St.)
Known as the Old Smith & Dove Storehouse #7 this building was built as a storage facility to store raw flax and manufactured linen stock. Originally built as a one story warehouse building then later renovated with two additional stories. The building was constructed directly east of the former "Brick Block" tenement housing apartments for the operatives of Smith and Dove Co. and next to the railroad tracks. A spur line was run from a point further south on the Boston & Main Railroad that ran parallel the the warehouse terminating at the north end of the building. A platform ran the entire length of the Building #7 for direct access to load and unload goods form the train cars. A second spur line ran back to the south side of One Dundee Park buildings.
Abbott Village was established early in the 1800's with the more than adequate source of water to power the mills. Abel & Paschal Abbott moved their wool mill operation here from the North Parish about 1815. Abiel Russell was their first foreman and Daniel Saunders leased a portion from 1817-1825. James Howarth established a wool mill 1824-1847, building the stone mill on the east side of the river. The Abbot brothers had a successful business until about 1838 when the market took a down turn. Creditors sold the Abbot Mill buildings to Smith & Dove Co. in 1843.
Smith & Dove Co. produced linen thread and was established in Frye Village (Shawsheen Village) in 1835. The company founders John Smith, Peter Smith and John Dove were all Scottish immigrants from Brechin in County Angus. The company continued operations in both Frye and Abbott Villages gradually relocating all production up river to this location. In 1865 they became the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. producing linen thread for shoe laces, carpets and sail cloth. Later operations included broad cloth. Smith & Dove is said to be the first linen production manufacturer in the United States. The company continued to expand operations through the years and by 1894 had completely abandoned the former plants in Frye Village. A new Main Mill plant opened in 1894 in Abbott Village and improvements continued well into the first decade of the 20th century.
The Smiths and Dove families were active in community affairs, contributors to educational institutions and helped establish Memorial Hall Library. They were all abolitionists, with John Smith and John Dove charter members of the Free Christian Church, which John Smith established. It would be the second generation of the Smith & Dove families that expanded the Abbott Village mill buildings to meet the needs of the 20th century. Worker housing, a village hall, recreational facilities and a pension fund were all established to help their operatives.
In 1927 the Smith & Dove Co. was sold to the Trustees of the Ludlow Manufacturing Associates of Ludlow, MA. The housing real estate was placed in the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. that year, changing the name to Andover Homes, Inc. that then sold off the housing stock to private hands. The company operations were moved to Ludlow, MA and the mill closed in 1928.
The Indian Ridge Co.,Inc. acquired the mill properties and some of the housing stock. Through the company treasurer Virgil D. Harrington the mill buildings were then parceled off sold to private investors.
The Vermont Realty Co., Maurica I. Paresky, pres. purchased the property on Dec. 10, 1932 via an Indenture Deed. The building was once used as a storehouse for the Vermont Tea & Butter Co. which opened a grocery market in the Carter Block in Elm Square and later a smaller store on Haverhill St. in Shawsheen Village.
Vermont Realty Co. Aaron J. Berenson, Ralph Preston, Ralph Spector held the deed on Jan. 1, 1964.
M.G.A. Realty Trust, Milton L. Abramson, Trustee purchased the building on Dec. 3, 1969. A portion of the building became the home of "Moor and Mountain" sporting goods which leased here until closing in 2012.
The property remained with the Abramson family until selling to Charles T. Mates on Mar. 23, 1989 who then transferred the deed to Donald Winner. Donald Winner held the property for 23 years then selling to Andover Storage Associates LLC on Mar. 27, 2012.
3 Railroad Ave. – 0 Essex St. (55-1A) 46882 acre built 1910 – 3 stories
Old Smith & Dove Storehouse #7
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. 75th Anniversary 1910
Andover"s Industrial Souvenir 1896 - A History of local businesses
See map plan - #1070 Nov. 8, 1937
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. 1843 – 1927
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. – Feb. 21, 1927 – b. 529 p. 583
Ludow Manufacturing Associates, Trustees, Robert Amory – June 15, 1928 – b. 542 p. 376
Indian Ridge Co. Inc. – Virgil D. Harrington, Treas. – Nov. 14, 1932 – b. 567 p. 267
Vermont Realty Co., Maurica I. Paresky, pres. – Dec. 10, 1932 – b. 568 p. 88 – Indenture
Vermont Realty Co. Aaron J. Berenson, Ralph Preston, Ralph Spector – Jan. 1, 1964 – b. 1003 p. 199
M.G.A. Realty Trust, Milton L. Abramson, Tr, - Dec. 3, 1969 – b. 1145 p. 106
Milton L. & Doris B. Abramson – Nov. 1, 1979 – b. 1402 p. 325
James L. Abramson – Dec. 27, 1985 – b. 2107 p. 62
Commercial Drive Realty Trust, James L. Abramson, Mar. 23, 1989 – b. 2904 p. 257
Charles T. Mates – Mar. 23, 1989 – b. 2904 p. 259
Donald Winner – Mar. 24, 1989 – b. 2904 – p. 262
Andover Storage Associates LLC – Mar. 27, 2012 – b. 12872 p. 319
|Place||Abbott Village - Dundee Park|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Storehouse #7 - Smith & Dove - Vermont Realty Bld.|
|Original Use||Smith & Dove Manf. Co. Storage warehouse|
|Construction Date||circa 1900|
|Foundation||stone and concrete|
|Major Alterations||added third story circa 1910|
|Map and parcel||55-3A|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Dec. 26, 2014|