Good front bay; stained glass; sits on private way
Owners: Arthur Heifetz (from 1/28/58)
James & Lena R. Heifetz, later owners
Not on 1901 Sanborn map
Themes: architectural, community development
This property was once owned by Jonathan Towle and contained much of the current Chapman Ave. properties extending from Main St. to Bartlet St. Jonathan Towle was born in Epsom, NH on Mar. 8, 1808, son of Benjamin & Betsey (Wood) Towle. Jonathan married on April 2, 1842 in Andover to Almira Emery b. Sept. 21, 1815 in NH. Jonathan & Almira had six children, three girls and three boys; Mary Elizabeth b. 1843, Martha Emery b. 1845, George E. b. 1847, Charles C. b. 1854 Anna M. b. 1857 and James Albert b. 1859.
In the 1860 and 1870 Federal census records Jonathan Towle is listed as a Railroad Station Agent. In 1880 he is a farmer. Jonathan owned several properties in the immediate area of Bartlet and Morton Streets. Towle sold off several house lot parcels. Jonathan died on Jan. 7, 1899 at age 90. Almira had died ten years earlier on Mar. 25, 1889. George H. Poor was the Administrator for Towle's estate.
Poor sells the property for $11,000 to Rose A. Chapman, wife of Ovid Chapman on Mar. 28, 1899. The deed states the property includes the homestead that Jonathan Towle had been living in.
Sept. 27, 1901 pg. 1 The School Committee have leased for two years the lower story of the old Towle place moved from Main St. to Bartlet by owner, Ovid Chapman, and will utilize it as an overflow department of the John Dove School as a few necessary alterations and repairs have been made.
(To hold the school Kindergarten)
The Towle house was originally located on Main Street on the empty lot on the north corner of Chapman Ave. Their home may be the house at 51-53 Bartlet and the attached barn may have been converted into one of the homes on Chapman Ave. By 1906 most of the houses on the Ave had been constructed.
Rose A. Chapman held the deeds to the property on Chapman Ave and Bartlet St. Her husband Ovid Chapman was a developer in town and built several homes as income properties. Ovid is most likely the builder of most of the homes on Chapman Ave and at the Bartlet St. entrance. Chapman also moved several buildings to create new tenements. Chapman was a popular man with the students at Phillips Academy as he ran a restaurant, named “Chappy’s” in the building at 123 Main Street. He also built several homes and rented to the Secret Fraternal Societies of the boys at the Academy. Ovid died in Feb. 1918. at age 78. Rose A. Chapman owned several income properties until her death on March 28, 1936.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com - Towle family -
Jonathan Towle -
Jonathan Towle Estate, George H. Poor, Trustee - Feb. 6, 1899 - Probate
Rose A. Chapman, husband Ovid - Mar. 28, 1899 - b. 168 p. 71
Ovid & Rose Chapman –
Mary H. Crocket, wife of Alexander – May 6, 1908 – b. 260 p. 294
Harriet M. Chapman – Sept. 17, 1913 – b. 334 p. 181
Harriet M. & Rose A. Chapman – Aug. 27, 1926 – 525 p. 358
Felicia Sholik – Sept. 2, 1935 – b. 593 p. 419
Harriet M. & Rose A. Chapman - Sept. 2, 1935 – b. 593 p. 420 transfer
Harriet M. Chapman , heir – March 28, 1936
James S. & Lena R. Heiftez - Nov. 1, 1926 - b. 296 - (lots 1-2-3 map #660)
James S. Heiftez – June 28, 1944 – b. 665 p. 364
Arthur Heiftez – heir Probate
Andover Finance Company, Inc. – Apr. 25, 1983 – b. 1667 p. 340
Andover Finance Realty Trust, Howard D. Ponty, Jack C. Hyman – Jul. 29, 1988 – b. 2782 p. 137
Sean Gresh - Nov. 20, 1995 - b. 4384 p. 147
Sean & Laura J. (Marino) Gresh - Sept. 3, 1997 - b. 4835 p. 198
Thomas R. Gramaglia & Margaret H. Leeson - Jan. 29, 1998 - b. 4949 p. 203
Gary L. & Tamara L. Cleaver - Sept. 29, 1998 - b. 5191 p. 126
Kuni S. Schmertzler - Aug. 13, 2001 - b. 6307 p. 276
Steven & Erin F. Bucci - Nov. 12, 2004 - b. 9181 p. 2
Owner - June 28, 2010 - b. 12056 p. 231
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Construction Date||1890 - 1900|
|Source||assessors' records/style - njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards & shingles|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||garage razed (1968)|
|Acreage||0.267 acre; 11,432 sq. ft.; approx. frontage on Chapman 235', Main 62'|
|Map and parcel||40-33|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|