Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
Fletcher Street was originally built with 14 homes, 10 were single family residences and 4 were double houses. With the construction of Route 495 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts took every property by eminent domain on Dec. 29, 1960. Four homes on the south side of Binney St. were also lost. By 1963 Fletcher Street no longer existed. Some homes were moved to new locations but the majority was demolished. One of the goals of the Andover Preservation Commission is to identify historic places and sites. We relist Fletcher St. as it was once part of the Shawsheen Village
development. We also honor the families that made their homes on Fletcher St. and their contribution to the neighborhood and the community.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Fletcher Street however is one of the exceptions. The origin of the name has not yet surfaced during research.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. Wood also incorporated two family double-houses in every section of the new Village.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The AWCo. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded. Many of these homes were the first to be sold.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Joseph & Sarah Dionne. Joseph was a loom fixer for the American Woolen Co.
This house was sold to Marie S. Eastwood on Oct. 14, 1932. Marie and husband J. Harold would own the property for 21 years. Harold was a Postal letter carrier and worked out of the new Shawsheen Village Post Office. The property was placed in both names in March 1949.
Robert & Doris E. Quinlan purchased the home on July 28, 1953 and owned for seven years when the state took the home by eminent domain on December 29, 1960. The Quinlins remained in the home until 1962.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #876 – June 1932 – Textile Realty Co - Lot #1
Map #1050 – March 1937 – amended map #876 for narrowing street.
Plan 4205 - Comm. of Mass. lot 9-70
Plan 5056 - Comm. of Mass - Layout of order of taking
Sylvester P. Smith and William Leverett
Sylvester P. Smith - Oct. 14, 1854 - b. 451 leaf 293 - Salem deeds
Sylvester P. Smith estate, of Worcester, MA - died. Apr. 18, 1889
J. Walter Smith and Cleora L. Smith of Worcester, MA heirs
Howard E. Sumner - Aug. 9, 1901 - b. 187 p. 497
Cleora L. (Smith) Sumner, Trustee - 1901
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of AWCo. - July 30, 1909 - b. 277 p. 314
American Woolen Co. Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215 -(1st parcel)
Textile Realty Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 344
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87
Marie S. Eastwood - Oct. 14, 1932 - b. 567 p. 365
Catherine M. Waring - Mar. 21, 1949 - b. 722 p. 26 - deed transfer
John Harold & Marie S. Eastwood - Mar. 21, 1949 - b. 722 p. 27
Robert & Doris E. Quinlan - July 28, 1953 - b. 778 p. 478
Commonwealth of Massachusetts - Dec. 29, 1960 - b. 929 p. 334
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Eastwood - Quinlin House|
|Present Use||Route 495 south bound lanes|
|Original Use||residence - AWCo. housing|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||American Woolen Company|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||Home and street lost to Route 495 construction in 1962|
|Acreage||6233 square feet|
|Map and parcel||34-52|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||October 14, 2015|