The 1895 image of the new Musgrove building on the left and Post Office Ave on the right gives us a glimpse of what the street was used for prior to construction of the Musgrove and the creation of the private right of way to the livery stables located at the end of the street. The Elm House Hotel once occupied the rear of the property and fronted on Elm Square white its north side on Elm St. A large open green Common occupied the Musgrove site and the hotel livery stables were to the south of the hotel. This street was the way to the stables and all the buildings on the south side of the street faced the common.
Post Office Avenue takes it name from the Post Office which relocated to the Musgrove Building in 1895 from the Old Town Hall. The Post Office was was on the first floor, rear south east corner with the entrance through the main center archway entrance on the Square down a long corridor. A rear entrance opened onto Post Office Ave. The Post office moved to Essex Street in 1917 and then to 71 Main St in 1931. We must note that when the Post Office was in the Old Town House, the new Barnard Street was sometimes called Post Office Ave. If a business location is noted prior to 1895 it most likely was on Barnard St.
Early deeds reference the Elm House which was also known as "Ye Ames Tavern" 1784-1816, "Foster's Tavern" 1816-1825, "Mayo's Tavern" 1825-1832, "Ward's Tavern" 1832 - 1835 the "Eagle Hotel" 1835-1861 and last the" Elm House" 1861-1894
The wooden buildings in the period photo from the right to the livery stable are; Derby - Valpey Block razed in 1933 for Simeone Building, Foster & Burtt Harness building (#8 - #10), Henry Burtt stable razed and now , Andover Laundry building, then the Elm House stable. The wood retail buildings today are all owned and part of the Musgrove building property.
|Street||Post Office Av|
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Post Office Ave|
|Original Use||Right of way to Livery stables|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Major Alterations||Post Office Ave. was an unpaved alley until the late 1970's.|
|Map and parcel||39-27|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 19, 2017|