High Style Victorian home,
elaborate carvings and decorative shingle work, screened-in "sleeping porch".
exquisite Interior woodwork and detailing
Original owner - Mary E. Ballard
Themes: Architectural and Community Development
This land has long had an association with the Ballard Family and was referred to as Ballard land. Joshua Ballard was a timber trader and farmer and bought the property once owned by Merrill Pettengill (or Pettingill). Pettengill purchased the lot from the Ministerial Fund of South Parish on Mar. 15, 1819. Pettengill, a blacksmith was born 1794 in Salem, NH, son of Asa & Esther Pettengill. He married Oct. 15, 1812 in Methuen to Alice How b. 1794 in Methuen. Merrill and Alice were living in the home in 1822 and most likely built the Greek revival home, previously thought to have been built by Joshua Ballard.
Capt. Joshua Ballard was born Jan. 3, 1785, son of Hezekiah & Mary (Chandler) Ballard. He married on Nov. 13, 1810 to Phebe Abbott b. Jan. 17, 1788 dau. of Jonathan & Dorcas Abbot. Joshua & Phebe had seven children: Phebe Abbott, b. Aug. 22, 1811, Joshua Jr. b. Jan. 28, 1813, Stephen b. Sept. 9, 1815, Edward b. June 19, 1819, Gayton b. July 8, 1821, William b. May 15, 1825 - d. Sept. 25, 1828, and Mary A. b. Mar. 24, 1828. Ballard’s first homestead was on Woburn St. where their children were born.
The 1850 and 1860 Census lists Joshua, wife Phebe, Edward and Mary A. in the home on Main St. The 1850 Valuation Schedule list Joshua Ballard; Dwelling house, barn and adj. building on 2 acres $2500, 20a Lower pasture $400, 6a Woodland $320, 3a North Lot $75, 2a Woodland $125 = 33 acres at $3420 also the Old Farm Dwell house $1200, barn $400, 70a east of road $1260, 34a West of road $510 = 104 acres at $3370. Personal Estate, Farm stock $80 and 8 Railroad shares $400.
Son Joshua Ballard Jr., who lived in Southbridge, MA, purchased the lot east of his father’s home from James Cochrane for $900 on July 15, 1848. Jame H. Cochrane owned the adjoining property at #5 Punchard to the corner of Bartlet St. and had his blacksmith shop there.
Joshua Jr. later sold to his father for $400 on Jan. 29, 1855 creating a 2 acre parcel. Son Edward was a farmer, never married and lived at home. Edward died on June 27, 1869. Phebe died on Apr. 14, 1870 and Joshua Ballard on Feb. 4, 1871. His estate went to his remaining children. Daughter Mary A. Ballard purchased the home from her siblings on Mar. 29, 1872 for $4000.
July 24, 1885 pg. 3. col. 1 The Ballard family, (Mary A. Ballard) it is understood, will soon build a fine residence on the site of their old house, at the corner of Main and Punchard Avenue. After Capt. Ballard's death, the house was moved to make room for the new one.
June 18, 1886 – Mrs. Ballard’s house on Main Street has been moved.
The Greek Revival house was moved to the south edge of the Ballard lot now #104 Main St.
Miss Mary Ballard's modern, handsome and elaborate Queen Anne,Victorian house was built in 1886 which included an attached barn and carriage house. Mary A. lived in her new home until her death on Mar. 19, 1922 just five days shy of her 94 birthday. The census reveals Ellen A Collins, b. Nov. 1866 MA, servant remained in Mary’s service until the end. Other family members listed were a cousin Mary Cummings in 1880, nephew William H. Chandler age 64 in 1900 and Sarah (Fisk) Ballard Widow of Gayton in 1916-1918.
The estate was left to her grand-nephews Edward H. Chandler and Gayton B. Ellis, and Great-grandnephew William Y. Chandler who would sell the property on to Edith C. O'Connell & Blanche Carroll on June 8, 1923. The Caronel Court Apartments were built on the site of the Mary Ballard house at 98 Main Street in 1924. Mary’s home and barn were moved east to front on Punchard Ave at #1. The old Ballard house at 104 Main St was sold to Alice C Dean and her sister Caroline A. Dean in May of 1923.
The house and barn were separated from each other. The barn was moved to the SE corner of the the lot and the main house was turned 90 degrees and moved to the NE corner of the property. The remaining front lawn was then used for the apartment building and open court. The former carriage house barn remains behind the house. The house and barn was converted into an apartments about 1924 and then condo units in 2000's. The house was once the office space for Anna Greely and Real Estate broker.
In 1885, Dr. Mary Harris had office here (house now 104 Main St. ). In 1951, it was a 2-family house. Helen Chickering lived here, 1952
The house was converted into three condos about 2002
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
J.N. Cole: Glimpses of Andover, 1896
1882 Bailey map - Andover Historical Society files
Jenkins, William : Changes on Main St. in 60 years, 1913
Carter, Emily: Main Street in Year 1850, Andover Townsman, Jan. 23, 1934
Andover Townsman, Nov. 9, 1923, article on Caronel Court Apartments, p. 1, 3.
April 4, 1924 - p. 7 Nearing completion. Plan of floor layouts.
Ministerial Fund of South Parish
Merrill Pettingill – Mar. 15, 1819 – b. 253 leaf 183 - $250 lot of land
Merrill Pettingill to Ministerial Fund of S.P. – Dec. 26, 1822 b. 230 leaf 250 –mtg. deed w/house
Asa Merrill – May 20, 1837 – b. 300 leaf 248 – 1st parcel w/
Sylvester Bowman – Dec. 3, 1844 rec. 5/23/1845 – b. 355 leaf 78-79
Joshua Ballard – Mar. 20, 1848 – b. 394 leaf 279 - $2000 w/dwelling house
Joshua Ballard Jr. wife Mehitable – July 15, 1848 – b. 400 leaf 54 - $900 adj. lot
Joshua Ballard, wife Phebe – Jan. 29, 1855 – b. 506 leaf 220
Joshua Ballard estate, Feb. 4, 1871 -
Ballard heirs, Phebe A. Chandler, Joshua Jr., Stephen, Gayton, Mary A. Ballard
Mary A. Ballard – Mar. 29, 1872 – b. 13 p. 217 - $4000
Mary A. Ballard estate – Mar. 19, 1922
Mary Ballard heirs; Edward H. Chandler, Gayton B. Ellis, and William Y. Chandler
Edith C. O'Connell, wife of John F. & Blanche Carroll, wife of Charles M. - June 8, 1923 - b. 479 p. 291
Edith C. O'Connell - Sept. 8, 1927 - b. 535 p. 41
Helen F. Bauer - Feb. 15, 1949 - b. 721 p. 13 - Nelson Realty Trust
John F. O'Connell - Feb. 15, 1949 - b. 721 p. 18 & 19
John F. O'Connell estate, Harry B. McCracken Trustee probate #267268 - Sept. 11, 1953 b. 780 p. 585
Clare M. Sullivan, hier by will, also by Mary Carroll Bell - b. 1016 p. 62 and b. 1168 p. 690
Caronel Court Realty Trust - Mark S. & Kevin J. Sullivan Trustees - May 18, 1972 b. 1193 p. 362
Phillip F. Sullivan, trustee - May 8, 1981 b. 1504 p. 131
Mark L. Sullivan & Phillip F. Sullivan trustees O.S.E. Trust - Mar. 1971
Clare M. Sullivan - Mar. 22, 1981 - b. 1504 p. 131
Clare M. & Phillip F. Sullivan - Dec. 18, 1984 - b. 1906 p. 43
Caronel Court Trust, Clare M. & Phillip F. Sullivan, trustees, - Jan. 23, 1985 - b. 1920 p. 169 and p. 175
Caronel Court Trust, Clare M. & Phillip F. Sullivan, trustees, - Sept. 6, 1985 - b. 2041 p. 259
Caronel Court Realty Trust, Clare M. & Phillip F. Sullivan, trustees, - Aug. 31, 1998 - b. 5178 p. 147
John F. Phillips - Nov. 26, 2002 - b. 7337 p. 204 and pg. 208
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Mary A. Ballard House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Carriage house - barn 1R|
|Major Alterations||1923, moved to current position on the site|
|Move Details||1923, see Andover Townsman November 9, 1923|
|Acreage||less than one acre, 10,994 sq. ft. with 55' frontage|
|Map and parcel||39-73|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|