William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at a special Town Meeting on November 13, 1922 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The AWCo Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupant of record to lease the home was Clarence S. & Hazel Waugh in 1926 and moved to #18 William St. in 1928. Elijah & Clara Strickland then occupied the home. Elijah was an overseer in a mill in Lawrence.
This house was leased prior to being sold to Stanley G. & Blanche L. Chart on Jan. 2, 1945. In 1943 Paul R. & Frances Devereaux were renting the home. Paul was the manager of the Sonotone Bay State Building in Lawrence, MA.
Stanley G. & Blanche L. Chart owned for ten years. Dr. Stanley Chart was a family physician who practiced in Lawrence. The Charts sold the home to Stanley & Marjorie M. Sandarg on June 1, 1955. Stanley b. 1915 was a manufacturing consultant.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
Map #879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - Lot 16
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351 - parcel 19
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 19
Stanley G. & Blanche L. Chart - Jan. 2, 1945 - b. 670 p. 193
Stanley & Marjorie M. Sandarg - June 1, 1955 - b. 814 p. 54
Alfred H. Donahoe III & Mary Ann Donahoe - Aug. 8, 1962 - b. 965 p. 67
Arthur J. DelDuca & H. Marie DelDuca - Mar. 31, 1966 - b. 1057 p. 152
H. Marie DelDuca - May 31, 1966 - b. 1061 p. 154
Elizabeth Gurry - Jan. 22, 1971 - b. 1165 p. 399
William A. & Carol S. Ferranti - Apr. 12, 1982 - b. 1596 p. 235
Michael H. & Joan C. Cottle - Apr. 22, 1986 - b. 2174 p. 135
Louis G. & Georgina P. Zervas - Dec. 5, 1988 - b. 2852 p. 301
Zervas One Family Trust, Karen Nee, TR. - Jan 27, 1995 - b. 4203 p. 50
Paul & Lisa Dagostino, Sr. - De. 10, 2007 - b. 10994 p. 86
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Stanley & Blanche Chart House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-67|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder, Karen Herman|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||6/21/2015, 12/26/19|