Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain Canterbury Street takes its name from Canterbury Cathedral in Canterbury, Kent, England is one of the oldest and most famous Christian structures in England. Founded in 597, the cathedral was completely rebuilt from 1070 to 1077. Seat of the Church of England. Canterbury Street was one of the first roads to be laid out in Shawsheen Village.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931. The properties held in the Arden Trust were deeded to the Phillips Corporation of Portland Maine for liquidation.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Harry C. & Helen Billingham. Harry was a foreman in Lawrence for the American Woolen Co. Harry C. Billington then purchased the property on May 15, 1926. but then sold 10 days later to Albert E. & Irma A. Curtis on May 25, 1926.
Albert Curtis was the manager of the Industrial Bank in Woburn, MA.
Curtis owned for 15 years then sold to Ejner G. & Harriet M. Blomquist on Apr. 15, 1941. Ejner was an electrician in Lawrence. It is interesting to note that Ejner was the youngest son of Bror & Karolina Blomquist, and was the first of his family to be born in the US. His parents immigrated to America in 1894. Ejner was born in Frye Village and grew up in the home across the street at #7 Canterbury prior to it being moved here from 35 Poor St. now part of Wood Park. His father Bror was also an electrician and worked at the Pacific Mills in Lawrence for the American Woolen Co. Ejner & Harriett owned the property for 19 years then selling to Edmond & Leland Wesolowski of New York on Apr. 15, 1960.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan 638 – April 1926 Phillips Corporation --Lot #
Parcel #9 east side of Canterbury St. b. 520 p. 465
Parcel #10 west side of Canterbury St. b. 520 p. 466
William M. & Ellen Ayer Wood – Feb. 9, 1921 – b. 447 p. 306
Arden Trust – Feb. 9, 1921 – b. 447 p. 330
Arden Trust; Trustees: Cornelius A. Wood, Frederick R. Edington
Phillips Corporation of Portland, ME – Mar. 13, 1926 – b. 520 p. 462
Harry C. Billington - May 15, 1926 - b. 522 p. 437
Albert E. & Irma A. Curtis - May 25, 1926 - b. 522 p. 438
Walter E. Curtis - June 2, 1938 - b. 615 p. 168
Irma A. Curtis, wife of Albert - June 2, 1938 - b. 615 p. 169
Ejner G. & Harriet M. Blomquist - Apr. 15, 1941 - b. 639 p. 165
Edmond & Leland Wesolowski - Apr. 15, 1960 - b. 913 p. 158
Ralph W. & Rosanne J. Dunham - May. 30, 1985 - b. 1980 p. 123
Eliot & Cynthia R. Klein - June 23, 1989 - b. 2953 p. 235
John C. & Maria E. Reilly - Jan. 14, 1994 - b. 3960 p. 114
Ronald J. & Shannon E. Gunta - July 12, 1996 - b. 4544 p. 104
Gerald E. Dempsey - June 22, 1999 - b. 5317 p. 216
Chase Home Finance LLC - Aug. 1, 2005 - b. 9687 p. 304 mtg deed
Federal National Mortgage Assoc. (Fannie Mae) - July 13, 2010 - b. 12103 p. 110
Joshua W. Cook - May 2, 2011 - b. 12477 p. 115
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Albert E. & Irma A. Curtis House|
|Original Use||residence - AWCo. housing|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||69-5|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Oct. 20, 2015|