This building on Park Street, now owned by the Christ Church, was known as the "Howell Block". and sometimes the Noyes Block. The late 19th century building, built in 1884, was owned by S. E. Walker and Thomas Howell, then sold to Rhoda A. Howell, wife of Thomas in 1895.
July 18, 1884 - Andover Advertiser pg 3. col 1. The brick work of Howell's Block on Park Street is completed and the roof put on. Mr. Howell will soon occupy the second story above his furniture business.
May 8, 1885 AA – Thomas Howell has taken his old stand on Park Street and will continue the furniture and upholstering business as aforementioned. See Advert elsewhere. Advert says New Brick Block, Park Street.
May 22, 1885 AA – Curb stones and stone posts have been placed on the Park Street side of the building of Russell & Barnard, E. Pike, at T. Howell, and a brick sidewalk will be laid.
June 5, 1885 AA – Edward Morse has moved to a tenement in Howell’s block, Park Street.
When first constructed the building had three separate store fronts at street level. The windows were large four divided panes of glass to admit as much light as possible and show off the tenant’s merchandise. #10 appears to be the door to the second and third floor rooms. There have been several street numbers associated with the business stores in the building through the years. A Sanborn map in 1896 lists #8, #10, #12 and #14. Town directories list #10, 12, 14, & 16.
In the period photo below Buchan & Francis furniture company occupied #10, the upper floors for their showroom, warehouse and upholstering business after Howell. When the Barnard Block on Main Street opened in 1911 Buchan & Francis moved their business to #12 and remained there until 1930. William Knipe & Co. plumbers occupied #16, the lower right hand store. A barber shop had the shop on the left end of the building.
March 30, 1888 Fri. AA - Advert. Henry P. Noyes – Furniture, carpets, upholstery – Howell’s Block – Park Street.
E. Pike – Park Street.
June 17, 1892 AT – Fire on Park Street, in store of H. P. Noyes, a furniture dealer, lost most of his stock, started on third floor, insured. The ground floor was occupied by M. A. Ramsdell, variety store, Ledwells billiard room and barber shop, and a Chinese laundry – all suffered some loss by water – The building is owned by Thomas Howell Loss $500- $1000 to Mr. Noyes.
The building was sold to William J. Burns on Nov. 13, 1925 and remained in the Burns family for 22 years. In 1947 it was sold to Vincent Treanor who opened the gift house. It may have been during the Treanor ownership that the stairway to the upper floors was moved to the entrance of #14. The individual stores were later incoproated into one large store on the ground level. The business was sold to the Anderson family in the early 1960’s and that is when the pseudo Colonial facade on the ground level was added. The Gift Shop occupied the entire first floor. The Andover Gift Store moved to 9 -11 Main
The Parish of Christ Church purchased the building on Feb. 1, 1972. Andover Thrift Shop began in the rear store on Post Office Ave. in the Musgrove building. The Thrift Shop then moved to this location and has operated the shop here ever since.
The Howell Block has held a number of other businesses over the years including: John P. West bakery 1926, Franklin Belcour Barbershop, Ruth Hammond Resort Wear (1948) Andover School of Ballet in the 1960’s, realtors and the Andover Gift Shop.
Shops & tenants;
The upper floors are rented out. A dance studio occupied the second floor and architects office is on the third floor.
Andover Thrift Shop, 10 Park Street, 1972 (orig. on Post Office Ave.)
Andover Gift House, 10-12 Park 1953
Andover School of Ballet, 14 Park Street (moved to 4 Park, 1975)
Eugene Bernardin Insurance, 14 Park (1988)
Ruth Hammond Resort Wear (1948)
The Book Room (1948)
E. Carleton Bemis, realtor (1948)
Merrimack Valley Academy of Dance (1971)
Lyle Brothers, luggage carriers, etc.
Franklin Belcour Barbershop
1926 - J. P. West Bakery - John P. West, baker 12 Park St. h 22 Maple St. (wife Agnes H.)
1943 - McGregor's Bakery #12 - Peter & Gertrude McGregor - h. 23 Florence
Gas Station (at east end of building), Lyle Brothers
Andover Tire Repair, Purcell & Kennedy, 16 Park
Andover Battery & Electric Co. (1930)
Michael J. Brennan, 18 Park Street, pool room
Alvin J. Zink, Jr. Radio Sales & Service
G.A. Mayer, harness maker (1897)
Andover Appliance Company (1936)
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Directories: 1953, 1943 , 1932, 1926
Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896, 1884, 1872, 1852
Evolution of Main Street, Gail Ralston - 2013
S. E. Walker
Rhoda A. Howell - June 23, 1895 - b. 149 p. 131 parcel #2
Rhoda A. Howell - Aug. 24, 1896 - b. 149 p. 133 indenture
Howell Estate, Wm. Howell and Joseph L. Burns, exec.
William J. Burns - Nov. 13, 1925 - b. 517 p. 502
Joseph L. Burns, executor by Will of brother
Vincent Treanor & John T. Hart - May 19, 1947 - b. 697 p. 466
Vincent Treanor - Dec. 5, 1947 - b. 758 p. 496
The Parish of Christ Church - Feb. 1, 1972 - b. 1187 p. 457
|Place||Andover Town Center|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Howell Block|
|Present Use||Andover Thrift Shop|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, 1960, 2012|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||39-4|
|Recorded by||Brian Lee, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||8/1992, Jan. 2015|