The Paddy Burke house was a simple Cape style home that stood on top of the foundation visible today on the hillside. A wood or brick wall would have enclosed the open end to the street. The basement was probably used as the Dry goods store and storage. A small attached barn to the north of the house for horse and carriage.
10 Shawsheen Road
This site with the old cellar hole today was once the location of a small cape style house that was known locally as the “Paddy Burke” house. The structure is reported to be built about 1740. Ralph W. Jewett sold the property to Elijah L. Herrick in June 1823 which states 1/3 acre dwelling w/store. Peter Shattuck Jr. wife Lucy C. purchased on Jan. 27, 1825 for $800. Edwin Farnum & Calvin C. Damon on Apr. 28, 1828 for $464 followed by John Flint & Calvin C. Damon on Apr. 28, 1828.
Aaron D. Mayo purchased the property on July 21, 1830 for $869. Mayo also owned the Elm House hotel in Elm Sq. Mayo sold to Mark Newman on July 20, 1838. This home was income property as Newman lived on Central St. and upon his death was sold by Margaret W. Newman to Andrew & Mary Collins on Nov. 14, 1859. Andrew Collins transferred the title to Mary Collins via James H. Giddings on June 5, 1871. Mary Collins then sold to Patrick Burke on Nov. 27, 1872.
Patrick Burke was born in Ireland in 1831, son of Patrick & Hannah (Crowley) Burke. He immigrated to America about 1855 at the age of 24 and arrived in Andover in 1856. Patrick first was employed by Smith & Dove Mfg. Co. but due to his health went into business on his own. In the 1885 Andover directory he is listed as an umbrella maker and repairs. By 1891 he advertises as dry & fancy goods furnishings, etc. at his home in Abbott Village. He purchased a peddlers’ wagon and took his business on the road selling his inventory in the surrounding districts in Andover and beyond.
Patrick became a naturalized citizen in 1860. He married Elizabeth Teague on July 5, 1864 at Somersworth, NH. Eliza, as she was known by, was also born in Ireland in Oct. 1832. Her headstone lists 1842 as her birthdate. They had six children, Mary b. 1865 - d. 1866, Edward J. born Aug. 1868 died Nov. 1903, Annie Elizabeth b. Oct. 1871, Sarah “Sadie” M. b. Mar. 1873, and Susan A. b. Apr. 1877.
Sadie and Susan would be born in their Abbott Village house. Son Edward J. age 12, is working in the Flax mill at the time of the 1880 census. By 1900 he is employed as a clerk selling clothing. Annie and Sadie are rubber workers at Tyer Rubber Co. and Susan’s dressmaking business has her talents used as a cloth specker, perhaps for Smith & Dove.
On Monday afternoon on August 17, 1903 a tragic accident took the life of Paddy Burke. Driving his dry goods cart in a heavy rainstorm in North Andover and his way home he was struck by a train and killed. Aug. 21, 1903 AT – Killed By Train – Untimely Death of Patrick Burke – One of Andover’s Well Know Citizens - ….”It was raining and the heavy drops were making such a loud patter upon the covering of the wagon that probably the driver did not hear the approach of the train which has a down grade all the way to Lawrence. The horse was no doubt walking up the hill and across the crossing when the train struck him as Mr. Burke had completed his day’s sales and was making his way back to his home in Andover.” …”The horse and front part of the covered team driven by Mr. Burke were struck by the locomotive attached to the passenger train from Salem due at North Andover station at 5:25 o’clock. Mr. Burke was thrown from the seat and the horse and vehicle were hurled down a steep embankment of about 50 feet. The contents of the cart were strewn for some distance about the place.” …”The body of Mr. Burke, which still showed signs of life was tenderly carried into one of the coaches and the train made its way to Lawrence, but before medical assistance could be secured and before the train reached its destination, the man was dead.”
“The tragic death of Mr. Patrick Burke touched many people in Andover who had learned to know and highly respect the quiet man who for so many years has been a familiar part of the town life. Leaving the mill for the sake of his health, he soon found the niche which he was so well fitted to fill, and that he had been successful was due to his qualities as an honest merchant and a warm hearted sympathetic friend.”
Patrick was 72 years old and was interred at St. Augustine’s Cemetery. Sadly son Edward died a few months later on Nov. 30, 1903. He just 35 years old. Eliza and her daughters continued to live in the house and work in the mills. Susan died on Feb. 3, 1917 and Annie on Jan. 15, 1919. In 1923 Eliza and Sarah are still in the home but by 1926 the place is vacant remains so after that. It is unknown when Eliza died but most likely in the 1920’s. Sarah sells a triangular portion of the family property at the corner of Cuba St. and Shawsheen Rd. to the Town of Andover in Sept. 1942. The house was sold to Edward Shattuck and moved off the lot to the Shattuck Farm at 125 River Road and converted into a “Country Store”. The remainder of the property was sold to Cornelius & Catherine Hart of 12 Cuba St. in Feb. 1944. The major portion of the original parcel is now owned by the residents of #4 Cuba St. and #2 Cuba was also part of the original Newman and Burke property.
The “Country Store” 1942 at 127 River Rd.
AT Feb. 5, 1942 p. 6 – “Old Country Store” Has Historic Setting
“Recently opened at the picturesque old Shattuck farm on River road overlooking the Merrimack, was an old-fashioned country store, complete with all the merchandise and equipment familiar to New England housewives generations ago. The counter itself is historic, since some 150 years ago, it served as the bar in the Middlesex Tavern in Lowell. There it served customers as opposite as hardy voyagers and trappers on the one hand, George Washington, Lafayette and Daniel Webster on the other.
The building itself is constructed in the traditional colonial style, and the exterior clapboards are hand spoke-shaped and attached to the framework with hand-molded nails. Rare old gunstock uprights support the 200 year old white pine beams in the interior and diamond-shaped antique glass windows are in strict accord with the period duplicated.
Sold at the store are its own brand of choice coffees and teas, preserves canned on the farm itself and old American cheese. An oyster bar should prove one of its most popular features, and serves oysters delivered fresh from West Chatham on the Cape and the Shattuck Farm ice-cream which has taken on the nature of a local institution. A hand loom standing in one corner of the store manufactures 100 percent wool fabrics from wool shorn from Shattuck Farm sheep, the whole store should prove both a successful commercial enterprise and a tasteful memento of historic days.”
The Country Store continued doing business as a small restaurant serving ham and bean suppers on the weekends. The popular Shattuck Farm ice cream stand next door to the west was still scooping cones out in the early 1960’s. With the construction of the interstate route 93 the highway cut through the east portion to the historic farm. River Road was relocated a few hundred yards south of the former road through a portion of the cow pasture that fronted on the farm. Many patrons, including me, enjoyed a hot summer day in the shade of Elms and Maples, as they licked their favorite flavored ice cream cones and watching the cows graze in the meadow.
The cow pasture was sold off and Valle’s Steak House built a restaurant on the site about 1966. It is now the Chateau Restaurant. The Shattuck farm stopped operation by the close of the 1970. Over 600 acres on the Merrimack River were rezoned by the town for an industrial park. The Shattuck farm was purchased by Arkwright-Boston Insurance Co. and then acquired by Digital Equipment Inc. The historic farm and site threatened by development and demolition. The largest barn 60’ x 200’was dismantled by Paul DeBow of Tewksbury for reuse in future buildings. The remaining out-buildings and sheds were demolished. While Digital owned the land Arkwright owned the buildings. Both the State Massachusetts Historic Commission and Town Selectmen became involved with the site and the saving of the historic buildings.
1982 moved to 243 High Plain Rd.
J. Terrance & Patricia Sullivan later purchased the now vacant two historic houses and the country store and moved them all to High Plain Road for restoration in 1982. The former Paddy Burke house, aka Country Store is now the house at #243. The old Shattuck Homestead is #239 and the Abbott-Shattuck-Noyes house, that had the ice-cream stand ell, is now located at #233 High Plain Rd. The Sullivan family spent many years restoring the exteriors and interiors of the houses.
The country store was converted into a residence once again. An addition was added on the east side of the building at the time of renovation in the 1980’s. It has been recently enlarged again on the west end in 2013. Although most of the historic fabric of the original house has been altered and changed through the years, the post and beam construction remains. The house however carries an interesting history that continues with it as long as it remains standing.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Fitts, Deborah; "A Way of Life Will Go Under When the Industries Move In", Lawrence Eagle Tribune, Jan. 3, 1974 p. 6-7
Owners; at 10 Shawsheen Rd.
Ralph W. Jewett -
Elijah L. Herrick –June 1823 – b. 232 leaf 150 – 1/3 acre dwelling w/store
Peter Shattuck Jr. wife Lucy C. - Jan. 27, 1825 – b. 237 leaf 263 - $800
Edwin Farnum & Calvin C. Damon – Apr. 28, 1828 – b. 249 leaf 81 –$464
John Flint & Calvin C. Damon – Apr. 28, 1828 – b. 249 leaf 80-81
Aaron D. Mayo – July 21, 1830 – b. 261 leaf 269 - $869
Aaron D. Mayo, wife Sally D. - Mar. 17, 1832 – b. 265 leaf 13
Mark Newman – July 20, 1838 – 337 leaf 257
Newman Estate, June 15, 1859 - Margaret W. Newman, Extrx.
Andrew & Mary Collins - Nov. 14, 1859 - b. 597 leaf 83 Salem deed
James H. Giddings - June 5, 1871 - b. 9 p. 180
Mary Collins - June 5, 1871 - b. 9 p. 478
Patrick Burke - Nov. 27, 1872 - b. 18 p. 143
Sarah Burke - Sept. 10, 1942 - b. 653 p. 182
Cornelius & Catherine E. Hart – Feb. 24, 1944 - b. 662 p. 541
Catherine E. Hart - Feb. 3, 1962 - b. 953 p. 13
John & Lorraine M. Lynch - May 7, 1962 - b. 957 p. 323
Chapman Realty Trust - Aug. 1, 1969 - b. 1136 p.439 - #4 Cuba St
Richard T. & Joanne M. Sayers – Oct. 25, 1972 – b. 1205 p. 51 #4 Cuba St
Svetlana Popora – Mar. 23, 2012 – b. 12868 p. 350 #4 Cuba St
#2 Cuba St = postion of Burke property in 1872
Daniel J. & Virginia C. Kennedy - July 6, 1972 - b. 1196 p. 521
Virginia C. Kennedy heir, Daniel died Feb. 23, 1974
William J. & Vivian A. Buehner - Jan. 9, 1978 - b. 1329 p. 521
Dennis P. Sheehan - Apr, 1, 1994 - b. 4016 p. 162
125 River Rd. - "Country Store" - 1941-1982
Edward & Catherine Shattuck - 1941-1975
Arkwright-Boston Insurance Co. 1975-1982
243 High Plain Road - "Paddy Burke" house 1982 - 2014
J. Terrance & Patricia A. Sullivan - Sept. 29, 1975 - b. 1268 p. 162
Sullivan Family Trust - Sept. 9, 2003
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Paddy Burke House|
|Construction Date||circa 1760|
|Condition||moved off site|
|Move Details||Moved 1941 to 127 River Rd. - move 1982 to 243 High Plain Rd.|
|Map and parcel||72-16A|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||July 20, 2014|