Gable end to street, block and filet window frames; twin side entries - like Elm Street, quarter fans in gable; front porch later addition, banding not original to porch.
Style: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development
Original owner: Captain Nathaniel Whittier
subsequent uses: Cole's Sanitarium - old age home
Cole's Nursing Home Inc., C/o Teresa MacDonald (9 Aug 1965)
Historical significance: B. Goldsmith says -"The oldest house in immediate area", once surrounded by field stone wall and apple orchards.
This house lot in 1900 included the triangle created by Elm, Summer and Whittier Street. Whittier Street was named after Nathaniel Whittier and, when first cut through to Elm St. in 1856, was a continuation of Punchard Ave. so called until the name was changed. Summer Street named on 1852 map. The Whittier house is not on 1830 Dorman map.
Nathaniel Whittier purchased the property from the Trustees of Phillips Academy on May 5, 1834 for $2500. The deed states "the Mansion House and land adjoining, of the late Henry Abbot in two pieces, ... House and lot 4 acres 132 rods and 1 acre 100 rods parcel opposite the house".
Nathaniel Whittier was born in 1794, marriage intention listed on April 25, 1817 to Hannah Hawley b. June 5, 1795 in Andover daughter of William & Cloe Hawley. Nathaniel and Hannah had seven children: Edward b. Mar. 16, 1818, Joseph H. b. Feb. 12, 1822 d. Oct. 3, 1823, Ann Elizabeth b. Aug. 10, 1825, Mary Louisa b. July 1828, Hannah Emily b. Oct. 27, 1830, William b. Oct. 1, 1834 d. Apr. 19, 1851, and Ebenezer.
Nathaniel was a master carpenter by trade and an early partner of Jacob Chickering. With the building of the Andover - Wilmington Railroad in the spring 1835 the investors hired Nathaniel Whittier as Superintendent of its construction. Whittier built all the buildings associated with the line including the repair shop, blacksmith shop, freight houses and car building shop. All were tucked in between Essex, and Pearson Streets and through to the current Safety Center building site. Andover depot, attributed to Jacob Chickering, stood on the site of the current rear entrance to the Memorial Hall Library.
Capt. Whittier had charge of the road and repair shop in Andover for a year, then handed it over to M. Christopher Andrews then just 19 years old.
On June 6, 1835 the first train arrived in Andover at the terminus. The line was then extended to Bradford and Haverhill the following year. Whittier then took charge overseeing the construction of bridges, depots car works etc. The line operated in this location until 1848 when the tracks were relocated to the current route to service the new city of Lawrence, MA. The Boston & Maine Railroad was then incorporated and the Andover - Wilmington property was annexed. The repair shops were relocated to Lawrence. The former train buildings were then sold to various businessmen. The last building to be razed was the old depot in the 1980s. The former car and blacksmith shop had been converted into a tenement building known locally then as the "Crystal Palace" (43 Pearson Street) razed in 1931.
The Whittier property was purchased in 1900 by Andover businessmen, John H. Campion, a merchant grocer, Barnett Rodgers a Realtor and Jacob W. Barnard, shoe manufacturer. In April and May, 1900, Whittier estate was broken into 18 different house lots ("very desirable lots in Andover Centre") and sold to individual parties by J. H. Campion through Barnett Rogers agency. "Included in purchase is a two story and a half, double tenement house occupied by Miss Whittier, former owner of place, and Mrs. Lizzie Dundas. Both these tenants will retain their residence" (Andover Townsman).
Ella M. Pearce, widow of Wm. H. Pearce purchased the Whittier house on May 22, 1905 and held the property for 28 years. Pearce sold to Charles M. Carroll on Dec. 1, 1933 and he turned the property a month later selling to William R. & Gertrude Shaw on Jan. 9, 1934. With the death of Gertrude Shaw in 1937, William then sold to Pauline L. Coles, wife of James S. on Dec. 14, 1937. Pauline, b. 1896, was a registered nurse and began the Coles Nursing Home for Women. She and her retired husband James both resided at 10 Summer. In 1961 there are ten elderly ladies residing in the home with Pauline. The nursing home continued into the 1970s then closed. The home was later converted into three apartments.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Goldsmith, Bessie; "Townswoman's Andover", 1964, pg. 100 - 101
Maps of Andover, 1830, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Townsman; 19 Feb 1942, 4 May 1900
Building Marker done: 6 Dec 1993
Henry Abbot estate, Trustees of Phillips Academy -
Nathaniel Whittier - May 5, 1834 rec. 8/28/1834 - b. 276 leaf 201
Nathaniel Whittier - Oct. 3, 1835 rec. 3/25/1837 - b. 297 leaf 264 - PA release
Mary W. Dickinson & Hannah E. Whittier - 1900
John H. Campion - Apr. 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
John H. Campion, Barnett Rodgers & Jacob W. Barnard - Apr. 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
John H. Campion & Barnett Rodgers
Ella M. Pearce, widow of Wm. H. Pearce - May 22, 1905 - b. 220 p. 157
Charles M. Carroll - Dec. 1, 1933 - b. 573 p. 360
William R. & Gertrude Shaw - Jan. 9, 1934 - b. 574 p. 547
Gertrude Shaw estate, William R. Shaw heir - July 18, 1937
Pauline L. Coles, wife of James S. - Dec. 14, 1937 - b. 612 p. 541
Augusta H. Milligan & Kathleen F. Chandler - May 1, 1962 - b. 957 p. 144
Gertrude A. & J. Joseph Sheehan - Dec. 7, 1962 - b. 975 p. 220
M. Teresa & Daniel J. Ferguson - Dec. 7, 1962 - b. 975 p. 223
Coles Nursing Home, Inc. - M. Teresa MacDonald, pres. treas. - May 17, 1965 - b. 1040 p. 304
Chung Soo Park - June 26, 1978 - b. 1342 p. 371
Kathleen M. Dolan - Oct. 1, 1980 - b. 1458 p. 230
Kathleen M. Dolan Trust - Jan. 1, 1980 - b. 9973 p. 329
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Whittier, Nathaniel House|
|Present Use||residence - 3 family|
|Original Use||residence and farm|
|Construction Date||ca. 1830|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||N. Whittier & Jacob Chickering?|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||remodeled ca. 1915|
|Acreage||0.159 acre; lot size: 6,930 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 70'|
|Map and parcel||38-245|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, Oct. 28, 2015|