Style: Queen Anne, Colonial Revival
Other features: overhanging & decoratively shingled 2nd story; gambrel roofed side pavilions; facade has recessed & bracketed bay window; pediment-ed and balustrade entry porch; semi-circular lunette; recessed side porch.
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: A bold design of eclectic motifs, tensely balanced.
Well set, and a particular well-located transition between Queen Anne grouping which precedes it and following Colonial Revival streetscape.
Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots.
All the deeds came with restrictions. Only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style craftsman, Bungalow craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.
This lot was sold by Anne Locke to Lizzie E. Chase, wife of Dana F. Chase on June 24, 1903. The home was built shortly later as Dana & Lizzie are in the 1904 Street Directory. The property is also listed on the 1906 map of Wolcott Ave, yet unnamed, along with the home next door at #6 Wolcott, the only two homes on the street at that time and both occupied in 1904.
The 1904 & 1908 directories Dana's occupation as clerk at Valpey Bros., a butcher and grocery store at 2 Main St. In 1913 and 1916 Dana Chase has his own shop "Chase's Market" at 12 Park St. in the Howell Block.
Lizzie & Dana Chase sold the property to Annie F. Russell on Mar. 20, 1919 who would then sell to Martha Humphrey on Oct. 9, 1919. The 1920 Valuation lists Mrs. Martha Humphreys; 10 Wolcott Ave. House $3000., shed $50, 8800 sq. ft land $900. The 1920 Census lists Martha Humphreys age 63, born in NJ, with three adult children Ethel age 35 b. NJ, Marion age. 33 b. MA a Missionary doing Pilgrim Work, and Irving age 23, b. MA and Engineer for Gen. Co. The Humphreys family owned for 26 years then selling to John N. & Betty L. Cole on Nov. 8, 1945.
John N. Cole 2nd, b. 1918 worked for the Andover Press and published the Andover Townsman. His father John N. Cole owned the paper.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902
Plan # 637 - Nov. 1925 second parcel
Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251 Salem Deeds
Alex Dearborn, Assignee, Estate of S. B. Locke, Bankrupt,- Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282 Lawrence deeds
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Samuel B. & Annie H. Locke - April 8, 1876 - b. 40 p. 37
Samuel B. Locke estate, Annie H. Locke -
Lizzie E. Chase, wife of Dana F., June 24, 1903 - b. 204 p. 569 house lot #26
Annie F. Russell - Mar. 20, 1919 - b. 396 p. 518
Martha Humphrey - Oct. 9, 1919 - b. 409 p. 199
Martha Humphrey estate, Ethel Humphrey, Extrx. Nov. 1, 1945 - Probate #213627
John N. & Betty L. Cole, II - Nov. 8, 1945 - b. 679 p. 15
Robert N. Fuller Jr. & Jane D. Fuller - Aug. 19, 1968 - 1112 p. 398
Ten Wolcott Ave. Realty Trust, Jane D. Fuller Tr. - Nov. 5, 1999 - 5604 p. 213
Jane D. Fuller - Nov. 5, 1999 - b. 765 p. 249
Stephen A. & Effie P. Brickman - June 3, 2013 - b. 13494 p. 24
Second parcel purchased by Martha Humphrey - Apr. 23, 1926 b. 522 p. 21 from Florence Locke
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Dana & Lizzie E. Chase - Humphrey House|
|Construction Date||1903 - 1910|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard, wood shingles|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage, original razed June 2014 New Garage 2014|
|Major Alterations||Rear addition 1999|
|Acreage||0.297 arce frontage: 25'|
|Map and parcel||38-216|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 6/2014|