Other features: door way replaced, porch added, window added, slate gable roof, large chimney stacks
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Street named for George L. Burnham, superintendent of the Almshouse.
This farmhouse was once owned by William Foster in 1850. W. Foster - 1852 map Frye Village
John K. Tarbox purchased the property and then sold to John Dove on June 17, 1869. John Dove was the partner of John & Peter Smith and owned the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. John Dove owned and lived at 278 North Main St. in the estate known as Arden, later purchased by William M. Wood for his Andover home. Dove may have purchased the farmhouse for land for the company.
The house was sold to James Lyall Coulie on April 20, 1870. James was born in Montrose, Co. Angus, Scotland on Aug. 30, 1823 son of James and Christine (Lyall) Coulie. He married Grace F. Hill b. June 30, 1822 in Aberdeen, Scotland. James and Grace had five children; John Dove b. 1843, William Morrison b. 1847, Flora Christina b. Dec. 2, 1849, Isabella M. b. 1851 and Henry Lyall b. 1857 - d. 1861.
James Coulie was a flax dresser, engineer and later overseer of the card room at Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. His wife Grace died died on July 5, 1866. James later re-married on Nov. 27, 1879 to Emily B. Bailey b. 1837 daughter of Samuel Bailey. The 1880 census lists James, Emily and a son Lyall H. Coulie age 8. Lyall may have been a grandson b. in 1872.
James L. Coulie died on July 16, 1893 of heart disease at age 69 y 10m 16d. He is interred at South Parish Cemetery with wifes Grace and Emily. James estate went to his four surviving children. Son John D. Coulie was the executor of the will. John & wife Mary E. were living in San Francisco at this time.
The Coulie property was sold to James Saunders, wife Mary on Apr. 11, 1894. Saunders owned for seven years then selling to Abbie B. Shepard on May 8, 1901. Abbie owned the home for 17 years until her death on March 11, 1918. Erving Shepard Shaw was her only heir and inherited the property through her will and probate. Erving Shaw held on to the property during all the construction of Shawsheen Village from 1918-1924. One can imagine he must have been approached by William M. Wood to sell the property but declined the offer. The map of Shawsheen Village in 1922 clearly marks off the Shepard property on Burnham Road. Erving Shaw did sell to Edward C. & Harriet C. Williams on May 25, 1929.
Edward C. & Harriet Williams owned for 15 years. Edward Williams was the proprietor of the Shawsheen Dairy on Tantalon Rd. in 1932 and retired by 1935. His son Edward C. Jr. and wife Doris live with them. Edward Jr. is in manufacturing in Lawrence. In 1939 Edward Jr. is President of the Marland Dairy, Inc. at 211 North Main St. His brother Russell M. Williams is the treasurer. On June 14, 1944 the Williams sell to Raymond E. & Dorothy F. Pearl on June 14, 1944. They had the home for three years. Raymond is rep for life insurance.
H. Coleman & Lois M. Randolph purchased the property on Nov. 7, 1947. The Randolphs converted the home into a boarding house and nursing home for women which Lois ran for 14 years under the name Randolph Nursing Home. Colman Randolph was a lino typesetter for the Eagle Tribune. Randolph sold the home and business to Alphonese & Theodora B. Lukas on Feb. 3, 1961.
The 1961 directory lists 11 women boarders of which one Sadie R. Koehler b. 1894 lists her occupation as practical nurse. The Lukas had the home for eight years then sold to Malcolm McPhail, Jr. on June 27, 1969. It was sold again three years later, then purchased by the Randolph Nursing Home, Inc. Diane Andreoli, Pres. on Sept. 12, 1972. The last owner of the nursing home was AAPEM Associates, Alfred L. Acdidi on Jan. 30, 1987. By 2000 only four residents remained and the home later closed as the house is not listed in 2001.
Andrew J. & Laura A. Hajudkiewicz, who had been living at 9 York St., purchased the home in July 2003 and began the process of restoration to bring the home back to a single family residence for their family. Laura was a teacher at Andover High School until 2011 when she took a job at Brooks Academy in North Andover.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
Shawsheen Village 1922-1923 - Shepard on Burnham Rd.
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
Map #735 - June 16, 1928 - lot 1
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Goldsmith, Bessie, "Townswoman's Andover", 1964, pg. 94
W. Foster - 1852 map Frye Village
John K. Tarbox - 1869
John Dove - June 17, 1869 - b. 776 leaf 112 - Salem deeds
James L. Coulie - April 20, 1870 - b. 40 p. 197
James L. Coulie estate, heirs; John D. William W, Flora C. Isabella H. Coulie b. 132 p. 391
John D. & Mary E. Coulie -
James Saunders, wife Mary - Apr. 11, 1894 - b. 298 p. 132
Abbie B. Shepard - May 8, 1901 - b. 185 p. 14
Abbie B. Shepard estate, Erving Shepard Shaw heir - will - Abbie d. Mar. 11, 1918
Edward C. & Harriet C. Williams - May 25, 1929 - b. 546 p. 416
Raymond E. & Dorothy F. Pearl - June 14, 1944 - b. 665 p. 50
H. Coleman & Lois M. Randolph - Nov. 7, 1947 - b. 704 p. 521
Alphonese & Theodora B. Lukas - Feb. 3, 1961 - b. 931 p. 95
Malcolm McPhail, Jr. - June 27, 1969 - b. 1134 p. 120
Randolph Nursing Home, Inc. Diane Andreoli, pres.- Sept. 12, 1972 - b. 1201 p. 792
AAPEM Associates, Alfred L. Acdidi - Jan. 30, 1987 - b. 2512 p. 245
Andrew J. & Laura A. Hajudkiewicz - July 17, 2003 - b. 8035 p. 208
Andrew J. & Laura A. Hajudkiewicz - Aug. 9, 2004 - b. 8980 p. 255
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Original Use||residence, farmhouse|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||barn razed (1967) Replacement windows|
|Acreage||0.544 acre; lot size: 23,700 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 105'|
|Map and parcel||36-6|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/15/2015|