Georgian w/Greek Revival alterations
Themes: Architectural, Community Development
Tradition says the site once belonged to A. Blanchard and at one time included 128 acres. First actual record of ownership of property was William Clark, who sold holdings and moved to Tewksbury, 1790's. Samuel Thompson bought, but Jacob French lived on the site, 1791. Thompson sold to French family (after 1795) and Peter French kept a store across street. Lt. Peter French was b. 1770 - d. May 26, 1831. Peter married Elizabeth Jaquith b. 1772 d. 1836. They had four children: George b. Apr. 11, 1803, Joseph Jaquith b. Sept. 6, 1808 d. Jan 23, 1841, Henry b. Oct. 29, 1810 - d. May 16, 1824 and Sarah D. b. July 18, 1812, married Horatio Gleason d. July 16, 1840. Their son Capt. George French b. April 11, 1803 later owned.
George first married Mary Richardson b. 1807. They had two children, Francis W. b. June 4, 1829 d. July 9, 1829 and Frances Ann b. Oct. 3, 1833 d. Nov. 24, 1856. Mary died on Sept. 11, 1835. George married a second time to Eunice E. Stone b. 1804 but a short time later died on Feb. 2, 1837. George followed a few months later on Aug. 5, 1837. They are interred at South Church Parish Cemetery.
The property was sold by Charles French to Joseph Battles of Lowell, wife Salloma, on June 18, 1841 for $4250. Battles owned for two years then sold the property to Paul Parsons Pillsbury on Apr. 24, 1843 for $4200. Paul, a farmer at Cow Island, New Hampshire, moved to Andover that year.
Paul P. Pillsbury was born on Nov. 8, 1798 in Boscawen, Merrimack Co., NH, son of Daniel & Eunice Pillsbury. Paul married in Boscawen, NH on April 2, 1825 to Hannah Frost. b. 1795. Paul & Hannah had one son Solomon F. b. 1829 d. Aug. 29, 1847 in Andover, age 18. Both his wife and son died of typhoid fever. Paul, now 50, remarried on Jan. 10, 1848 to Sarah A. Stevens, age 32, a maid, daughter of Daniel & Sarah Stevens at West Parish Church.
Paul & Sarah would have three children, two surviving to adulthood: Solomon Burke b. Dec. 4, 1848, George P. b. Nov. 22, 1851 and and infant b. May 12, 1855. In the 1850 Andover Valuation schedule lists Paul Pillisbury's West Parish property; Dwelling house $1550, barn & other buildings $450., 33 acres in front of house $1000.. 44 1/2 acres adjoining building $1300., 23 acres north of Dascomb's $850. Personal estate, Farm stock $376. and $372. in cash. The 1855 Mass. State census lists Paul, Sarah, their two sons, Solomon and George and James Stone age 45 a farm laborer from NH, and Caroline Stevens 43. It is interesting to note that James Stone remains with Pillsbury family in the 1880 census.
Sarah A. Pillsbury died on Feb. 5, 1868 at age 52y 10m. George remained on the farm working the land with his father and James Stone. On June 1, 1870, Burke Pillsbury of Boston sells his 1/2 undivided share of the property of their mothers' estate for $1100. to his brother George P. a minor, in the care of Paul P. guardian. In 1880 Paul is listed as 82 years and Rhumatoid. He died on June 8, 1882 at 84y. In Nov. 9, 1882 Solomon Burke Pillsbury, wife Imogene, of Middleton, NY sells his share of his father's estate to George P. for $3750.
The property remained with George Pillsbury until his death on Mar. 26, 1926 at age 75 years. George was interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery with his parents. The George Pillsbury, estate was administered by Clover J. Stone and sold to Albert Curtis and Walter Curtis on in June 1927. There were five parcels of land sold for $5200 totaling 218 acres with the homestead and buildings.
Howell F. Shepard, wife Constance, purchased from Curtis the homestead lot on on April 21, 1930. Shepard acquired three additional parcels of land over the next 17 years. Shepard was the Treasurer of Watson Park Co. at Lowell Junction. They owned for 22 years then selling to Roland H. Sherman, wife Olive F. on Sept. 13, 1949. Sherman sub-divided the property into three lots selling the Homestead, lot A, to Richard C. & Joan Simmers on Nov. 4, 1949. The two barns on lot B went to Andrew S. & Leona M. Pendleton on Dec. 9, 1949. Lot C. was sold to Eric Jones in 1951.
The sub division plan #2160 recorded Dec. 12, 1949 shows the Homestead lot with garage and swimming pool, the barn lot B, with two barns and lot C. with out-buildings foundations of former poultry barns and sheds stood on what is now Steeple Court.
Walter L. & Mabel E. Goddard purchased the homestead on May 3, 1951. Arthur L. & Gertrude E. Wooten, Jr. then bought on Dec. 12, 1960. George E. & Dolores V. Cleland purchased the home on Aug. 1, 1973 and continue their stewardship of the property in 2016.
1994 Awarded Certificate of Appreciation at Annual Preservation Awards.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Dorman, Moses: Map of Andover, 1830
Poore, Alfred: "A Genealogical - Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass in the Year 1863" - Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol.50 -1914
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Andover, Mass. 1946
Andover Historical Society files
William Clark - 1790's
Samuel Thompson -
Jacob French - 1795
Peter French - b. 1770 - d. May 26, 1831
Capt. George French - b. May 11, 1803 - d. Aug. 5, 1837
Charles F. French - 1841
Joseph Battles, wife Salloma - June 18, 1841 - b. 325 leaf 262
Paul P. Pillsbury - Apr. 24, 1843 - b. 337 leaf 5 - three parcels
George P. Pillsbury estate - 1927
George P. Pillsbury estate, Clover J. Stone, Admin. - Aug. 1, 1927 - b. 534 p. 214
Walter Curtis & Albert F. Curtis - June 3, 1927 - b. 532 p. 118
Walter Curtis & Albert F. Curtis - July 8, 1927 - b. 533 p. 302
Howell F. Shepard - - July 8, 1927 - b. 533 p. 302 one of four parcels
Roland H. Sherman, wife Olive F. - Sept. 13, 1949 - b. 727 p. 79
Richard C. & Joan A. Simmers - Nov. 4, 1949 - b. 728 p. 343
Walter L. & Mabel E. Goddard - May 3, 1951 - b. 749 p. 505
Arthur L. & Gertrude E. Wooten, Jr. - Dec. 12, 1960 - b. 928 p. 305
George E. & Dolores V. Cleland - Aug. 1, 1973 - b. 1224 p. 254
|Historic District||Individual National Register Listing|
|Historic Name||Pillsbury - French House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage; later porch around front and side|
|Major Alterations||restored 1946|
|Map and parcel||155-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 1/7/2016|