Excellent, high style Greek Revival design, complemented by strong Italianate porch. Compare neighboring houses at #104 and #112 Main Street.
Other features: L-shape; full pediment gable; arched fan lunette vent, center-recessed pilasters; windows have plain corner blocks; arcade Italianate porch & rear additions, original door surround.
Themes: Architectural, Community development
The property along the east side of Main St. from Punchard Ave to Morton St. was owned by the Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund. Seven lots were divided up along the new Essex Turnpike and sold off at auction on April 18, 1810. Amos Abbot, a Trader, purchased lot #6 for $405 (112 Main St.) which contained 142 sq. rods with 214.5 ft. frontage on Main St.
Amos later purchased this lot next to his residence/store from Merrill Pettengill on Dec.18, 1827. The house is said to have been built by Jacob Chickering 1832- 1833, and became his primary residence. The Greek Revival brick ender at #112, was probably also built by Jacob Chickering. It is said that Abbott kept his store of dry goods, groceries and drugs in this house #112. (see Poore, Dr. Alfred - "Genealogical - Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863", Vol. XLIX, July 1913, "Essex Institute Historical Collection).
Deacon Amos Abbot was a merchant, a State Representative and Senator and one of Andover's leading citizens. Amos was born Sept. 6, 1786 in Andover, son of Jeduthan & Hannah (Poor) Abbot. Amos attended Bradford College, married Dec. 6, 1812 to Ester Mackey West b. Jan. 20, 1783 in Salem, dau. of Edward & Elizabeth (Mackey) West. Amos & Ester had 12 children: Sarah Barnard b. Apr. 10, 1814, Elizabeth b. Mar. 4, 1816, Edward West b. Apr. 4, 1818, Amos Alfred b. May 30, 1920, infant son b. & d. Dec. 10, 1821, Caroline M. bpt. June 1, 1823, Ester Ann b. Feb. 6, 1826, Jane Green b. July 23, 1828, William A. b. Aug. 9, 1831 and Amy F. b. Dec. 11, 1832, Emma F. b. 1835 and Sarah B. b. 1838.
Amos Abbott was South Parish's First Congressional Representative. He was the 1st President of Andover Institution of Savings, May 1835. Amos was town surveyor, 1812, 1814, and 1816; Town Clerk 1822, 1826, 1828, and Town Treasurer 1824 - 1829. He served on the school committee 1828 - 1830; was Representative to Massachusetts General Court 1835 – 1855, State Senator 1840 - 1842 and in 1843 elected Wig Party to 28th U.S. Congress serving to Mar. 4, 1849. Amos was Andover’s Postmaster 1849-1853 and was also a founder of the Boston and Maine Railroad and a director.
The 1850 Valuation on Amos Abbot; 1 acre Dwelling house & Barn - $2000, Brick house $1800, Old house & barn $1700,Farm house, barn 7 other blds. $1750, 45 acre farm $2925, 16a near Pomp’s pond $400, 2a near Dea. Smith’s $60, 10a Pearson lot $300. = $10,935. Farm stock $80, 10 Andover Bank shares $900, 51 Railroad shares $2550. Amos’ wife Ester died on Sept. 23, 1850. Amos died on Oct. 4, 1868 and is interred at South Parish Cemetery.
Alfred A. Abbott was executor of the estate who sold the sold #106 to Charles A. Peabody on April 30, 1869. Samuel K. Johnson purchased 112 Main St. on Sept. 16, 1869.
The Peabody family held the property for 50 years selling in April 1919 to Hiland F. & Marie L. Holt. The property was sold with, "the right to take water from the well on the south side of the land." In 1924 John E. Burgess and Catherine W. Combs, as joint tenants purchased the house. They married and Catherine Burgess opened the "Copley Candy Store" shortly after in the home. The Burgess John retired and then helped with the store which closed in the 1930's.
Anna L. Marland purchased the property in May 1945 and sisters Charlotte A., Edna L. and Laura N. Marland opened a school for young children pre-primary up to 8th grade. They had about 20 students enrolled in 1959. In 1965 the school was still running with Edna & Laura as teachers. The Marland sisters enclosed the front porch with floor to ceiling windows expanding the space for Charlotte Marland's gift shop. They also took in boarders and in 1965 Kenneth W. MacDonald, b. 1895 retires, Moses C. Milnes 1886 retired and George G. Potier 1911, a machine shop proprietor, were all renting rooms in the house.
Charlotte A. Marland and John H. Hamilton co-owned on Sept. 15, 1976. Charlotte held 60% share. The house was sold to Andrea L. Helman & Louise A. Richer on Oct. 5, 1978 and some updating was done converting the house into apartments. The glass enclosure on the front porch was removed at that time. Helman & Richer who owned for 35 years. Jole Realty, LLC of Andover purchased on Feb. 21, 2013. Louis Trumbore of Andover restored the exterior of the house and updated the interior apartments.
Joseph C. DiMascio purchased the property on Dec. 30, 2014.
The property received a Preservation Award in 2014 for the Andover Preservation Commission.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence
Essex Country Registry of Deeds, Salem
Ancestry.com – Amos Abbot family genealogy
See v. f. Main Street Jenkins article AHS
Directories: 1926, 1932, 1943, 1953
Maps: 1852, 1872, 1884, 1896, 1906, 1930
1961 'About the Town of Andover' League of Women Voters LWV - The Marland School
Pre-Primary through 8th grade, 20 pupils enrolled in 1959
See historical photo files
Ministerial Fund of South Parish - April 18, 1810 - Auction off 7 lots
Richard Trow - April 18, 1810 re. June 25, - b. 190 leaf 95 - lot #7 $500
Merrill Pettengill – Mar. 15, 1819 – b. 253 leaf 183 - $250 lot of land
Amos Abbott –Dec. 18, 1827 rec. June 12, 1828 – b. 248 leaf 272 $15.75 21 sq. rods lot
Amos Abbot estate, Alfred A. Abbott Extr. – died Oct. 4, 1868
Charles A. Peabody - Apr. 30, 1869 - b. 779 leaf 9, Salem
Charles A. Peabody estate - April 1919
Hiland F. & Maria L. Holt - Apr. 17, 1919 - b. 398 p. 136
Catherine W. Coombs & John E. Burgess - Apr. 29, 1924 - b. 499 p. 514
Catherine W. Burgess widow,
Anna L. Marland - May 18, 1945 - b. 673 p. 90
Anna L. Marland - Nov. 21, 1949 - bb. 729 p. 147 notice for deed correction
Anna L. Marland - Aug. 1, 1950 - b. 739 p. 373 - decree in favor
Anna L. Marland - Aug. 2, 1950 – Certificate #3629
Charlotte A. Marland & John H. Hamilton – Sept. 15, 1976 – Ctf. #7571
Andrea L. Helman & Louise A. Richer - Oct. 5, 1978 – Ctf. 8054
Jole Realty LLC – Feb. 21, 2013 – Ctf. #16889
Joseph C. DiMascio – Dec. 30, 2014 – Ctf. #17234
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Amos Abbott House|
|Construction Date||1828 - 1830|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||porch, ell (late 19th century|
|Acreage||less than one acre; Approx. frontage: 40'|
|Setting||Approx. distance of building from street: 20'|
|Map and parcel||39-60|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero; Brian Lee, (cwo), James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||27 Feb 1980; July 1992, 12/10/2018|