Original Owner: John N & Minnie Cole
Present Owner: (1978) Lynman & Sarah Bullard, 6/14/1954
Themes: architectural; community development
107 Highland Road – John N. & Minnie Cole House
John Nelson Cole was born Nov. 4, 1863 in Groveland, MA son of George Spofford & Nancy Emeline (Bodwell) Cole. His parents moved to Andover 3 months after his birth. John attended the public schools and was a member of the Class of 1880 at Punchard Free School but withdrew after a few years to work. John married on September 23, 1886 at Free Church to Minnie White Poor b. May 9, 1863 in Andover, daughter of Joseph W. & Abby (Reynolds) Poor. John and Minnie had four children:
Abbie Elizabeth b. July 30, 1887 Andover graduate of Mt. Holyoke College 1909, BA teacher, NY
Margaret b. May 3, 1889, Punchard 1906 married June 26, 1912 to Dr. Ralph Dudley Head
Phillip Poor b. Aug. 13, 1892, Punchard HS 1910, Yale Univ. married Marguerite Balch, a Construction Engineer
Dorothy b. Sept. 3, 1901 married a Mr. Hanson.
John Nelson Cole became part owner of the Andover Press in 1887 when Warren Draper retired and sold the business. Cole was just 23 years old, was Manager and Treasurer and publisher of the Andover Townsman, first issue Oct. 14, 1887. (Business moved to the Press Building at 62 Main Street)
John and Minnie built their home at 8 Locke Street in 1892 and also owned 12 Locke St. John and Minnie began to buy property on Highland and Woodland Roads. Minnie purchased a 9.2 acre SW corner parcel from Mary Bond on June 25, 1902. John purchased a building lot from William Watson on Highland Rd. in 1906 and acquired four more parcels. The Coles built this home and named it “Boulderbrook”. Cole sold the Locke Street house on April 29, 1913.
The 1920 Andover Valuation on Cole's property lists: Highland Road, House $6500, Barn $1300, Farm house $1200, garage $1000, 13½ acres cor. of Highland & Missionary Lane (Woodland Rd.) $2000, 3 acres Missionary Lane $200, 2a meadow Missionary Ln $150, 5a swamp Salem St., 25 acres Mars swamp $600, 1½ a Somers land, Missionary Ln. $300 = $13450.
John and Minnie transferred the property to the Andover Realty Co., his son Phillip P. Cole the treasurer, on Jan. 19, 1922. John N. Cole died Oct. 18, 1922 Obituary Andover Townsman Oct. 20, 1922 – pg. 1 and 3. Minnie died 1946 both interred in Spring Grove Cemetery.
Phillip P. Cole sold the property with all nine parcels to George Jordan, wife Viola, of New York City on Jan. 15, 1929. Jordan then sells all nine parcels to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on Nov. 11, 1929.
The Trustees held the property and Boulderbrook for 25 years. The house was used as faculty housing. In 1943 Dr. J. Roswell Gallagher and wife Constance are listed at 51 Highland. Dr. Gallagher was the physician at the Academy’s Isham Infirmary.
The Trustees sub-divided the land in 1954 and sold Boulderbrook with 1.88 acres to Lyman G. and Sarah Bullard on June 10, 1954. The deed came with a right of way to use the driveway off Highland Rd. and first refusal to purchase back should the Bullards sell.
Lyman Greenleaf Bullard was born May 10, 1922 in Springfield, MA, son of William R. & Hilda (Greenleaf) Bullard. His father was an executive in a woolen company. The Bullards moved to Brookline, MA. Lyman attended Berkshire School in Sheffield, MA, graduated from Harvard 1942. Lyman married Sarah Bell and they had four children; Sarah b. 1951, Pamela b. 1953, Lyman Jr. b. 1955 and William R. II b. 1958.
Lyman was the VP of Mariner Combing Co. in Lawrence, MA and they owned they owned the property for 43 years. Bullard sold the property back to Phillips Academy on June 2, 1997. They moved to North Andover.
The home was razed by the Academy about 1999 - 2000.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Enclosure: Andover Townsman, Friday, September 15, 1916: "Massachusetts Press Association, Guests at Boulderbrook, September 9th, 1916"-- possibly 107 Highland Road, BT & JB, 1990
William Watson - Sept. 1906 - Building lots on Highland Rd.
John N. Cole - July 17, 1907 - b. 249 p. 307
Andover Realty Co., Phillip P. Cole - Jan. 19, 1922 - b. 453 p. 517 - six parcels
George Jordan - Jan. 15, 1929 - b. 544 p. 433 - Nine parcels
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Nov. 11, 1929 b. 549 p. 527
Lyman G. & Sarah Bullard - June 10, 1954 - b. 793 p. 102
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 2, 1997 - b. 4767 p. 300
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||John N. & Minnie Cole House - "Bouldrebrook"|
|Present Use||vacant land of Phillips Academy|
|Construction Date||1910 - 1912|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||cobblestone garge|
|Demolition Details||Razed about 1999 - 2000|
|Acreage||1.88 acres; approx. frontage 309'|
|Map and parcel||23-3A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/20/2018|