The former Lovejoy house was a half Cape with an attached shed, small 3-bay house with ell, -very low posted and silled.
Themes: Architectural, community development
The current home at 108 Lovejoy Rd was built in 1984 on the site of the historic Ebenezer Lovejoy house. It is said, by Loveyoy family members that the old house was moved here from the Blanchard Plains (Osgood Rd to Bellevue Rd area) in early 1800's. Ebenezer Lovejoy was the first Andover owner at this location. The house was sited facing south. The Lovejoy Farm contained about 60 acres most on the west side of Lovejoy Rd. Some of the IRS parking lot and land behind Sanborn School were former pastures and woodland of the Lovejoy place.
Ebenezer Lovejoy's son Ebenezer Jr. took ownership of the farm on Jan 8, 1833. He acquired additional parcels from Thomas C. Foster in May 1833, William Foster in Dec. 1840 and Ballard Lovejoy in Dec. 1862 the last two parcels were unrecorded deeds.
Ebenezer Jr. was b. Feb. 7, 1795, son of Ebenezer & Phebe (Russell) Lovejoy. He married on May 9, 1819 to Delina Lynch b. July 4, 1799 in Greenfield, NH daughter of a sea captain who died at sea. Charlotte H. Abbott writes "She came here to work in the home of Capt. White, and at a party Ebenezer saw her and was smitten." Delina joined the West Parish Church on May 4, 1833 member #221. Delina died of consumption on Sept. 1, 1856.
They had 12 children; Ebenezer Francis b.Sept. 29, 1819 - d. 1853 ,Delina Ann b. May 7, 1821, Mary Elizabeth b. Feb. 26, 1823, Alfred Warren b. May 17, 1825, Dorcus Jane b. July 26, 1827 d. Sept. 29, 1828, Jane Mariah b.July 21, 1829, Stephen Abbott b. Nov. 13, 1831, Dorcus Ballard bp. June 19, 1836 - d. Sept. 7, 1838, Phebe Amanda b. Aug. 31, 1833 d. Nov. 30, 1853, Sarah Emiline July 4, 1838, Joseph Thompson b. June 16, 1840 and Barilla Esther b. May 28, 1845.
Ebenezer later remarried to widow Mrs. Sarah (Wardwell) Farnum, b.Sept. 7, 1803, daughter of John & Sarah (Trussell) Wardwell and former wife of Jeremiah Farnum. Ebenezer died on Dec. 7, 1873 and Sarah on July 18, 1884.
All are interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery.
Ebenezer's youngest son Joseph Thompson Lovejoy, inherits the farm by will of his father, (March 6, 1868.) Probate approved on Jan 6, 1874. Joseph T. married Georgianna Pettingill, and both were also members of West Parish Church joining in July 1866. In April 1875 Joseph took a $700 mortgage with the Trustees of the Ministerial Fund of So. Parish Church. This deed lists the unrecorded deeds and dates of the Ebeneezer Lovejoy parcels.
Joseph sells about an acre lot south of his house to his son Stephen Arthur Lovejoy on Oct. 29, 1892. Stephen or Arthur, as he was known by, built the Queen Anne house next door at #106 Lovejoy Rd. Joseph T. Lovejoy died on Feb. 22, 1923 age 82y 8m 16d. His wife Georgianna died on Feb. 10, 1929 age 82y 9m 21d. Both are interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery.
Stephen Arthur Lovejoy inherits the Lovejoy farm and continues to hold the property another 20 years before selling to John & Katherine A. S. Bolton on July 13, 1944. The Boltons owned the former American Woolen Co. "Clover Farm" at 309 Lowell St. Bolton sells the first parcel of 39.14 acres and the old homestead to Thomas W. & Ruth Sutton on June 2, 1948. The property contained a large barn west of the house. Ruth Sutton was the Supervisor of the food services for the cafeterias at West Elementary and Shawsheen Schools. She retied about 1957. Thomas and Ruth retired to Compton, NH where Thomas W. Sutton died on June 6, 1983. Ruth then sold the farm to Timothy D. Sullivan of Tewksbury, MA on March 6, 1984. Sullivan partnered with William J. Campagne and divided up the property.
The old Lovejoy Homestead was razed in 1984 and a new 10 room home was built on the lot. The current home was sold to Remick A. and Catherine M. Wallace on Feb. 12, 1985. The property was placed into the R. & C. Wallace Realty Trust in Nov. 2011 and remains with the Wallace family in 2014.
1830 Map of Andover, (Moses Dorman) cites E. Lovejoj
1856 Map of Andover, A. Caruth and W.E. Lovejoy
Poore, Dr. Alfred; "A Genealogical Historical Visitation of Andover Mass. In the year 1863."
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Historical Manuel of the Church & Parish - 1926
West Parish Garden Cemetery burial records
Ebenezer Lovejoy -
Ebenezer Lovejoy Jr. - Jan 8, 1833 - b. 270 leaf 11 - Salem deeds
Ebenezer Lovejoy estate - March 6, 1868 - probated Jan. 6, 1874
Joseph T. & Georgianna P. Lovejoy - Jan. 6, 1874
Joseph T. Lovejoy estate - Feb. 22, 1923 - Probate #145,016
Stephen Arthur Lovejoy - Heir to father's estate
John & Katherine A. S. Bolton - July 13, 1944 - b. 665 p. 188
Thomas W. & Ruth Sutton - June 2, 1948 - b. 711 p. 201
Thomas W. Sutton Estate, to Ruth Sutton - June 12, 1983 Probate
Timothy D. Sullivan - March 6, 1984 - b. 1797 p. 288
Timothy D. Sullivan & William J. Champagne - Apr. 17, 1984 - b. 1797 p. 289
Remick A. & Catherine M. Wallace - Feb. 12, 1985 - b. 1927 p. 210
R & C Wallace Realty Trust - Nov. 22, 2011 - b. 12772 p. 151-154
R & C Wallace Realty Trust - April 2, 2013 - b. 13408 p. 204
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Lovejoy, Ebenezer House - Historic Site|
|Construction Date||18th century|
|Source||style-njs, ERDS, ENRDL|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||House razed 1983 Barn razed 1973 Shed razed 1967 Coop razed 1967|
|Move Details||Moved from Lowell pre1830. moved back from road 1960's|
|Demolition Details||1983-1984 for new construction|
|Acreage||48,540 sq. ft. approximate frontage ,130'.|
|Map and parcel||152-1|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/17/2006, Nov. 5, 2014|