Colonial Revival style adopted by Wood, the roof gables and new entrances were added after the move.
This home was built by the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. about 1860 as a two family tenement for employees of the company. The house was built on the west side of North Main Street on the current Wood Park. When Smith & Dove relocated to Abbott Village (Dundee Park) they began to sell off their properties in Frye Village. All seven homes on that location were sold to George H. Carlisle of Lawrence on May 3, 1907.
Carlisle then surveyed the properties and divided the homes into single lots. This home was located at 318 - 320 North Main St. It was then sold to Grace Leslie on Sept. 25, 1908. Grace & Phillip Leslie had been living at 1 Haverhill St. in 1908 prior to the purchase. Grace work in the office of the Tyer Rubber Co. Phillips was working for the Lawrence Gas Co. A year later Grace sells to William M. Wood on Aug. 14, 1909.
This home was saved and became part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. By September 1919 Wood had acquired all homes on the three acre parcel and began moving them to new locations. The Leslie house was moved to the new Balmoral St. about 1921. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The tenants of record in 1926 were George & Magdaline Addison in #11. George was a gardener. A Mrs. Ellen Thomas, widow of Robert Thomas is also listed at this address.
The house was sold to Arthur A. & Rita B. Vanasse on June 1, 1944.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - Lot #34
318 - 320 North Main St. location;
John Smith - Dec. 29, 1841 - b. 335 leaf 99 - Salem deed
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 - Salem deed
George H. Carlisle - May 3, 1907 - b. 250 p. 545 - Lawrence deeds
Grace Leslie - Sept. 25, 1908 - b. 265 p. 431
William M. Wood - Aug. 14, 1909 - b. 277 p. 309
11 - 13 Balmoral St. location;
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 33rd
Arthur A. & Rita B. Vanasse - June 1, 1944 - b. 664 p. 192
President and Fellows of Harvard College - Oct. 14, 1957 - b. 863 p. 52
Mary Grace Keating - Oct. 30, 1957 - b. 864 p. 114
Mary Grace Keating estate, Lilvant J. Grant, Admx. - Apr. 24, 1969 - Probate
Laurence A. & Jean A. Cookson - Apr. 30, 1969 - b. 1129 p. 259
Cookson Balmoral Realty Trust, Laurence A. Cookson, Tr. - Nov. 4, 2008 - b. 11366 p. 176
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Leslie - Vanasse House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1855 - 1860|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Map and parcel||36-12|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 7/2/2015|