Two Condominium Units
11-13 Buxton Court - Patrick Daly House circa 1909
This house was the last residential house to be constructed on Buxton Court.
Lewis Street & Buxton Court were planned about 1893-5 by Lewis T. Hardy and Joseph Cole, partners in the firm of Hardy and Cole 1874-1915. The property was the former Major Joseph Low estate at 80 (70) North Main Street purchased on June 30, 1892 from Mary Ann Low and the remaining heirs of the property.
Hardy & Cole divided up the Low estate property creating parcels to the north of the house on No. Main St. and the new road and court to the south and west.
Lewis St. was named for Lewis Titus Hardy and Buxton Court after Ira Buxton. Buxton was the first to build a home on the Court in 1898. He was a carpenter for Hardy & Cole at that time. Buxton Court was sometimes referred to as Lewis Court and “Tyrian Way” in deeds.
#3 Lewis Street was the first home constructed by Hardy & Cole, and then purchased by Abby Stimson on November 20, 1897. Annie M. McMillan purchased the first lot on Buxton Ct. at #3 on June 20, 1897. Ira Buxton followed in November 12, 1897 with lot #5.
Most of the homes in this neighborhood were constructed as two family duplexes and for the most part owner occupied with the second units used as rental income. The majority of the residents were operatives in the nearby businesses of the Tyer Rubber Company, Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. and Marland Mills of the J.P. Stevens Company.
Patrick Daly purchased this property from Hardy & Cole on June 23, 1909 which was just land. He then had a two family house built 1909-10. The property remained with the Daly family until 1963. It was then purchased by Donald & Christine MacNeil who then sold to Mary Ann Uliano & Lillian B. Hagman in Aug. 1964. Leo J. & Grace Doherty
purchased the house in Nov. 25, 1970 and held for 30 years until Town House Dev. Corp. purchased on Dec. 14, 2000. The two family was then converted to condominiums. Condominium conversion July 2001 #11 Buxton Ct. Condominiums
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Joseph Low - 1820 - December 10, 1853
Sarah (Wood) Low - Dec. 1853 - Nov. 12, 1872
Lucy & Emily Low - June 3, 1873 - March 10, 1892
Hardy & Cole - June 30, 1892 - bk. 119 pg. 406 - Major Joseph Low Estate
Patrick Daly - June 23, 1909 - bk. 277 pg. 597 - land
Philip L. Hardy - Aug. 3, 1920 - bk. 988 pg 305 - 2nd lot of
Daly Heirs - April 9, 1947 - Probate #219836 plan #4872
Daly Family Trust - Oct. 24, 1963 - bk. 996 pg. 480-1
Donald & Christine MacNeil - Oct. 24, 1963 - bk. 996 pg. 480-1
Mary Ann Uliano & Lillian B. Hagman - Aug. 27, 1964 - bk. 1017 pg. 236
Leo J. & Grace Doherty - Nov. 25, 1970 - bk. 1162 pg. 732
Town House Dev. Corp. - Dec. 14, 2000 - bk. 5955 pg. 102
Condominium conversion July 2001 #11 Buxton Ct. Condominiums
#11 Laura A. Haskell - July 17, 2001 - bk. 6256 pg. 136
#11 Rita Ralph - Aug 29, 2003 - bk. 8206 pg 21
#13 Susan M. Rowe - Aug. 31, 2001- bk. 6346 pg. 313
#13 Susan M. Rowe & George Michael Broughton Jt. Tn. - June 9, 2008 - bk. 11208 pg. 335
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Patrick Daly House|
|Present Use||Condo - residences|
|Architect/Builder||Hardy & Cole builders|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||Condominium conversion July 2001 #11 Buxton Ct. Condominiums|
|Map and parcel||38-20|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 2014|