Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain
Stirling Street takes its name from Stirling Castle, located in Stirling, Scotland and is one of the largest and most important castles, both historically and architecturally, in Scotland. The castle sits atop Castle Hill a strategic location overlooking the Fourth River. Several Scottish Kings and Queens have been crowned at Stirling, including Mary Queen of Scots, in 1542
This house is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. The land however was owned by the American Woolen Co. but not developed.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This house lot and the two to the north were sold to and developed by Ernest F. Jones and Edward F. Jones in 1948. The property did not come with the same restrictions as those imposed by William M. Wood. The three homes are a departure from the Colonial Revival of Shawsheen Village. After WWII there was a housing shortage as former GIs returned home and started families. The modern Ranch style home was introduced in the 1940's and this home is a unique modification on the plan, as it was built as a two family home but appears to be a single family residence.
Edward F. & Christine M. Jones purchased the finished home he built on Apr. 5, 1949. Jones owned four years then sold to Gene R. & Beatrice F. Champey on Feb. 4, 1953.
Gene b. 1912 is listed as a Proprietor in 1961. Beatrice b. 1915 is a Shoe Worker. The Champey family were long term owners of the property of 47 years. Beatrice died on Jan. 28, 1994 and Gene died on Nov. 24, 2000. Gail Frasca and Ronald Saccuzzo are heirs of the Champey and continue as owners of record.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
Land Court Map #1726-E March 1932
Map 1726-H = Sept. 1948 - lot 4-B
Isaac Wilson of North Andover - woodland
Isaac Wilson estate; Susan P. (Wilson) Green heir
Issac L. Farnham - Aug. 7, 1880 - b. 80 p. 252 - 14 acre portion
Issac L. Farnham estate, Sarah M. Farnham & Charles H. Farnham heirs
Emeric Pariseau - Sept. 11, 1902 - b. 197 p. 367 - 22.4 acre
John B. Warwick - Feb. 12, 1904 - b. 209 p. 131
Emeric Pariseau - Sept. 20, 1904 - b. 215 p. 42
Thomas E. Bowler - Sept. 21, 1904 - b. 215 p. 44 mtg deed
Emeric Pariseau - Sept. 21, 1904 - b. 215 p. 46 - 6 acres
Thomas E. Bowler - April 21, 1907 - Certificate # 165 - land court
Thomas T. Clark, wife Louisa A. - June 26, 1907 - Ctf. #166
Thomas E. Bowker -
Thomas T. Clark - June 26, 1907 - lot A - Certificate #116 - 4.3 acres
Thomas T. Clark, wife Louisa – 1920 – land 4.3 acres
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. Oct. 2, 1920 – Certificate #992
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - May 5, 1932 Ctf #1925
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 Ctf. #1932
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 – 15th parcel
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Feb. 2, 1946 - Certificate #3066
Ernest F. Jones & Edward F. Jones - Feb. 3, 1948 - Ctf. #3356 - lot 4-C
Edward F. & Christine M. Jones - Apr. 5, 1949 - Ctf. #3483 - with home
Gene R. & Beatrice F. Champey - Feb. 4, 1953 - Ctf. #3921
Beatrice F. Champey estate, Gene R. Champey heir - Jan. 28, 1994 - Ctf. #3921
Gene R. Champey estate, Gail Frasca, Extrix - Nov. 24, 2000
Gail Frasca and Ronald Saccuzzo heirs - Nov. 8, 2002 - Ctf. #14050 - Doc. 80089, 80090
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Jones - Champey House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1948 - 1949|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||Ernest F. Jones - builder|
|Wall/Trim||cedar shingle/wood clapboard/vinyl covered|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||18-96|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/29/2015|