11 Abbot Street

Architectural Description: 

Late Greek Revival/Picturesque
Simple quarter-round mouldings above windows; leads and round-arched windows; much like #9 and #13 Abbot Street.

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: architectural, community development.

May have been built same period as #9 and #13 Abbot St. by Moses Clement and George Abbot, builders- contractors of this period.

This property was once owned by John R. Loring. John was born about 1823 in Cincinnati, Ohio, son of Thomas & Sally Loring. John was in Andover in 1850 and married a second time on Dec. 8, 1864 at the Old South Church in Reading, MA to Sarah A. M. Buck b. 1837 in Tyngsboro, MA daughter of Amos R. & Maria A. Barker. This was also Sarah's second marriage. John was a Machinist. After John's death Sarah inherits the property.

The property was sold to Frank L. & Winifred W. Brigham on March 3, 1917 for $3000. Brigham transferred the deed through Catherine Berry on Jan. 30, 1923 to his wife Winifred.

Winifred Brigham then sells to William Odlin on Sept. 22, 1925. William Odlin died and his estate heirs, widow Dora C. Odlin and daughter Irene O. Abbott, wife of Harold Abbott sell the property to Joseph J. Flynn on Nov. 3, 1930. Flynn took a mortgage via Irene O. Abbott. In Dec. 7, 1938 Flynn file a Notice in Land Court for title and in March 3, 1939 the Court rule in his favor grantng title to the property Doc. #17024.

Former owner: Joseph J. Flynn (by will) Joseph C. Flynn.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Land Court titles - ENRDL

John R. & Sarah A. M. Loring - 1860s - 1917
Frank L. & Winifred W. Brigham - Mar. 3, 1917 - b. 373 p. 364
Catherine Berry - Jan. 30, 1923 - b. 472 p. 89
Winifred W. Brigham - Jan. 30, 1923 - b. 472 p. 299
William Odlin - Sept. 22, 1925 - b. 516 p. 324
William Odlin estate, Dora Odlin & Irene O. Abbott heirs.
Joseph J. Flynn - Nov. 3, 1930 - b. 555 p. 193
Joseph J. Flynn - Dec. 7, 1930 - b. 619 p. 272 Notice
Joseph J. Flynn - March 3, 1939 - b. 621 p. 587 - Court title

Timothy R. & Karen J. Wakeling - current owners 2015

Inventory Data:

StreetAbbot St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic NameJohn & Sarah Loring House
Present Useresidence
Construction Date1850's
SourceERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style
Architectural StyleGreek Revival
Architect/BuilderMoses Clement or Abbott Clement?
Foundationbrick or stone foundation
Major Alterationssheds (1967)
Acreageless than an acre:18,266 sq. ft.approximate frontage 65'
Map and parcel74-9
MHC NumberANV.2
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 3/28/2015