The house is a simplified Queen Anne style which retains a picturesque massing and the asymmetry of the Victorian period. It is a mix of both Classical and Gothic architectural elements. A mix of different gables and dormers and the incorporated porch within the house mass are typical of this design period from about 1880-1910.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain Canterbury Street takes its name from Canterbury Cathedral in Canterbury, Kent, England is one of the oldest and most famous Christian structures in England. Founded in 597, the cathedral was completely rebuilt from 1070 to 1077. Seat of the Church of England. Canterbury Street was one of the first roads to be laid out in Shawsheen Village.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. This house plan was first used by William M. Wood for his Coachman's house on 269 North Main Street across the street from Arden. This design is one of four in the Village, two others are on York Street. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931. The properties held in the Arden Trust were deeded to the Phillips Corporation of Portland Maine for liquidation.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Albert W. & Aida B. Ennis. On May 15, 1926 the Ennis family purchased the property from the Phillips Corporation. They then sold to Harry & Gertrude A. Ashton on June 27, 1929. Harry was a cloth printer in Lawrence. They owned for 24 years then selling to George J. & Lucille C. Martin on Oct. 16, 1953.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan 638 – April 1926 Phillips Corporation --Lot #31
Parcel #9 east side of Canterbury St. b. 520 p. 465
Parcel #10 west side of Canterbury St. b. 520 p. 466
William M. & Ellen Ayer Wood – Feb. 9, 1921 – b. 447 p. 306
Arden Trust – Feb. 9, 1921 – b. 447 p. 330
Arden Trust; Trustees: Cornelius A. Wood, Frederick R. Edington
Phillips Corporation of Portland, ME – Mar. 13, 1926 – b. 520 p. 462
Albert W. & Aida B. Ennis - May 15, 1926 - b. 522 p. 294
Harry & Gertrude A. Ashton - June 27, 1929 - b. 547 p. 85
George J. & Lucille C. Martin - Oct. 16, 1953 - b. 782 p. 242
Lucille C. Martin - May 25, 1960 - b. 915 p. 220
Lucille C. Martin estate -
George A. Martin - probate #347925
George A. & Ruth A. Martin - Aug. 20, 1982 - b. 1598 p. 206
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Ennis - Ashton - Martin House|
|Original Use||residence - AWCo. housing|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Roof||asphalt - gable & gambrel|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows, enclosed front porch|
|Map and parcel||69-32|