Bargeboard and trim like that of #13
Queen Anne style house on 0.58 acres of land built about 1887 - 1888. Has 7 rooms, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath. Clapboard exterior, gable roof with Asphalt covering, a garage and a shed. 1 3/4 stories and 1 floor ell, screened porch, open front porch, side bay window.
Themes: architectural, community development
This property was once owned by Nathan Clark, a farmer. and connected to his homestead lot at the corner of Dascomb and Clark Roads. Nathan Clark's estate was purchased by Herbert A. Moody on Aug. 16, 1882 for $2200. The farm consisted of three parcels, the house lot with buildings, an adjoining 23 acre 114 3/4 sq. rods parcel on the east side of Clark Rd and a 23 acre lot across the street on the north side of Dascomb Rd. Herbert A. Moody was a carpenter and builder and lived on Clark Road ( formerly known as Lowell St. or Rd. in Ballardvale) Herbert transferred the deed to Almon S. Moody, a minor, through his guardian Samuel G. Sargent of Methuen, for $1500. on Aug. 23, 1883.
Herbert A. Moody did however retain some of the property of the Clark farm and parceled off house lots along Clark Rd and Chester Street. He then built and sold homes or lots, as he developed some of the former Clark Farm land.
This lot and dwelling house was sold to Elmer H. Shattuck for $1700 on Dec. 20, 1888. Shattuck would then acquire three more adjoining lots to add to the home parcel. Lots 2 & 4 were purchased from Herbert Moody and lot #3 a 60' strip of land came from Sylvanus Perry. Shattuck owned the home for 43 years. Elmer's parents, Nathan H. & Laura E. Shattuck would live with their son in the home. Nathan H. Shattuck was born April 1840 in Vermont and was a flannel inspector in the Ballard Vale Mill Co. Laura born April 1844. They had six children of which 3 survived to adulthood. Laura died Jan. 14, 1911. The 1920 Andover Valuation lists Elmer Shattuck's property on Chester St. as House $1100, barn $100, Carriage house $100, 1/3 acre $300,1 acre $150. The 1920 Census lists Elmer b. Jan. 1865, a Machinist in the wool mill and had married to Mary P. b. 1866. His father Nathan, now a widow age 79, shares the home. Nathan would pass on in December 1920. They are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
On January 26, 1931 the property was purchased by George C. & Berth L. Henderson. George was working as a Maintenance man at Phillips Academy in 1943. The Hendersons owned for 33 years. Goerge died on November 11, 1961 and his widow Bertha then old the home to Raymond C. & Ruth K+j. Marble on July 27, 1964. The Marble family continue as owners of record in 2017.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Article: The Sunday Eagle Tribune, Sunday, August 9 1998
Nathan Clark estate, farm -
Martha A. Hall, heir dau. of Nathan Clark -
Herbert A. Moody - Aug. 16, 1882 - b. 69 p. 95 - Nathan Clark farm 3 parcels
Elmer H. Shattuck - Dec. 20, 1888 - b. 97 p. 478 - $1700 - lot 1
Elmer H. Shattuck - Dec. 26, 1890 - b. 100 p. 61 - $50 - lot 2
Elmer H. Shattuck - Sept. 11, 1891 - b. 118 p. 31 - lot 4
Elmer H. Shattuck - Jan. 13, 1906 - b. 233 p. 197 - lot 3
George C. & Bertha L. Henderson - Jan. 26, 1931 - b. 557 p. 32 - 4 lots
George C. Henderson estate, heir widow Bertha L. - Nov. 11, 1961 - Probate
Raymond C. & Ruth J. Marble - July 27, 1964 - b. 1014 p. 372
Marble Realty Trust, Ruth J. Marble Tr. - Dec. 29, 2011 - b. 12762 p. 86
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Elmer H. Shattuck House|
|Construction Date||1887 - 1888|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Herbert A. Moody|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small garage, shed|
|Acreage||0.578 acre; 25,758 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 130'|
|Map and parcel||137-40|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth A. Sharpe, James S. Batchelder (Ballardvale Historic District)|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77; Apr 1998, 2/3/2017|