This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
This house is believed to be designed by Adden & Parker of Boston and was originally constructed at 348 North Main Street directly behind the Post Office Building, now the parking lot. Four homes occupied the parcel along North Main to Windsor St. When the master plan of Shawsheen Village was altered to accommodate the Aberdeen - Merchants Building, the homes were moved to the new Kenilworth extension on the east side of North Main Street. The houses were moved in 1923 and included 385 North Main, 11, 7- 9, and 5 Kenilworth Street.
This house at #348 North Main St. was occupied in the 1920 census by Gordon W. Brookfield, age 34 b. Wisconsin and Accountant in the Wood Mill. Edna M. Brookfield, his wife, age 31 b. Canada img. 1904 and Naturalized 1910. They have three children; Donald W. age 8 b. NY, William B. 7 b. Canada and Richard 1 b. Canada.
The home was then occupied by Harry S. & Mabel Pratt in 1923. Pratt was a clerk for the Homestead Association, Inc. The Pratts continued as the occupants of the home in its new location at 11 Kenilworth St.
The 1900 Census has Augustus & Sadie Hobbs listed at #348 No. Main St. A cluster of buildings, houses and a store were all located at the corner and razed for the Post Office Building. This site may have housed the Hobbs home.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The AWCo Board of Directors authorized its President Lionel J. Noah to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This house was sold to Walter N. Webster, wife Florence on Sept. 3, 1936. His father Dean K. Webster purchased the house on Oct. 29, 1942. The Webster family owned the H. K. Webster Co. a Hay & Grain business on West St. in Lawrence. Dean's sons were partners in the family business. Walter lived at 20 William St. and Dean Jr. on Sunset Rock Road. Hattie May Hatched also lived here with Dean and held a life tenancy clause in her lease. When Hattie died on Aug. 27, 1963 the Webster heirs then sold the property to
Nicholas A. & Maria A. Rizzo, Jr. on Sept 30, 1963.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Ephraim Everson parcel 1 & Solomon Flagg parcel 2
William C. Donald - March 3, 1855 - b. 567 leaf 246 - parcel 1 Salem deed
William C. Donald - Jan. 15, 1861 - b. 623 leaf 128 - parcel 2 Salem deed
William C Donald estate, Gordon Donald, TR - 9.86 acres
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87
Walter N. Webster, wife Florence -Sept. 3, 1936 - b. 601 p. 215
Dean K. Webster - Oct. 29, 1942 - b. 654 p. 454
Dean K. Webster - Apr. 29, 1944 - b. 664 p. 364 - triangle lot
Dean K. Webter estate, Walter N. Webster & Dean K. Webster Jr. Tr. Probate
Nicholas A. & Maria A. Rizzo, Jr. - Sept 30, 1963 - b. 995 p. 78
John & Elizabeth Stenson - Sept. 29, 1972 - b. 1203 p. 286
John Stenson estate, Elizabeth Stenson heir, John died May 21, 1986
Robert A. Laroche & Joan Dangelo - June 20, 1986 - b. 222- p. 301
Federal Home Loan Mtg. Company - June 2, 1993 - b. 3774 p. 147
Karen J. Frazer - Feb. 14, 1994 - b. 3982 p. 278
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Pratt - Webster House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Moved in 1923|
|Map and parcel||52-34|
|Recorded by||Sean Croft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||6/4/91, 6/13/2015|