Two story with gambrel roof.
Doric column porches front and side.
Decorative corbel brackets and and railings,
eave dentils, Nice window details and decorative panels
This parcel was once part of the larger Amos Blanchard homestead (1818-1849) property at 97 Main St. (now the home of the Andover Historical Society) The Blanchard lot extended along Main St. from Locke Street to 77 Main Street. The Edward Taylor family owned the Blanchard house and land from 1849 - 1893. Edward Taylor died on May 23, 1893 and Oliver B. Taylor, was appointed Executor of Taylor's estate June 12, 1893 - probate court. Oliver Taylor began selling off house lots north and south of the Taylor homestead.
John Brewster purchased the lot from Taylor on Jan. 7, 1899 and had the house built. Eleven years later Edwin Brewster has the house and sells to Elizabeth M. Reed on Sept. 30, 1912. Nellie F. Rand, the daughter of John H. & Frances Flint quit claims to James E. & Mary Segee of Belmont, MA who purchased the property in Aug. 1934. Evelyn W. Dore buys in May 1936 and hold the property for twenty years. She sells to businessmen; Irving Leoff, Raymond Edward, Robert Barenboim in April 1956 who flip the house to George J. & Alvera K. Graw three months later on July 5, 1956.
Joseph B. & Miriam A. Doherty Sr. purchase the house on May 27, 1960. They would also purchase #5-#7 Locke St. in 1963 as investment property. The Doherty family held this property for 53 years. It was sold to their son Joseph B. Doherty Jr. and wife Deborah in Jan.1983
J.B. Doherty is a real estate broker in Andover as were his family. He sold in 2013, after building a new home in North Andover to Steven & Melissa Hilts.
The house was built as a single family home contain 14 rooms and now has three units with six bedrooms.
Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Rev. Amos Blanchard Jr. - 1849 - by Will
Edward Taylor - Mar. 5, 1849 - b. 408 lf. 192-194 Salem deed
Edward Taylor Estate - died May 23, 1893
Oliver B. Taylor - Executor - June 12, 1893 -probate court
John Brewster - Jan. 7, 1899 b. 166 p. 472
Edwin Brewster - Oct. 11, 1910 - b. 297 p. 277
Elizabeth M. Reed - Sept. 30, 1912 - b. 322 p. 114
Nellie F. Rand - Oct. 1, 1912 - b. 322 p. 114 quit claim
James E. & Mary A. Segee - Aug. 15, 1934 - b. 580 p. 544 3 parcels
Evelyn W. Dore - Evelyn Reed Marr - May 13, 1936 - b.598 p. 241
Irving Leoff, Raymond Edward, Robert Barenboim - Apr. 17, 1956 - b. 831 p. 382
George J. & Alvera K. Graw - July 5, 1956 - b. 836 p. 497
Joseph B. & Miriam A. Doherty Sr. - May 27, 1960 - b. 915 p. 428
Lock Street Trust - J. & D. Doherty - Jan. 31, 1983 - b. 1642 p. 157
Joseph B. & Deborah R. Doherty Trust - July 8, 1993 - b. 3778 p. 143
Deborah R. Doherty - March 16, 2001 b. 6110 p. 287 quit claim
Joseph B. Doherty Jr. -March 16, 2001 b. 6110 p. 287
JBD Realty Trust - J. B. Doherty tr. Mar. 5, 2007 b. 10757 p. 328
Steven & Melissa Hilts - Sept. 19, 2013 - b. 13639 p. 271
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||John Brewster - J. B. Doherty House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||55-119|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|