LHD, picturesque, bracketed door head, probably mill housing
Style: Old Style
Original owner probably Ballardvale mills, subsequent uses - private ownership.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development and Industry.
Ballardvale developed rapidly in 1840's-50's as mills under John Marland expanded. Mill housing historically significant as a unit exemplified demand for more houses - built with less expense and pretense, with functionalism as keynote, as immigrants poured into town to fill jobs at the textile mills. Such architecture signifies the changes in Andover - as in 19th century America, from a rural agricultural economy to increasing urbanization - from farm to factory.
The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property in the center of Ballardvale in 1847. Some land was then sub-divided into house and store lots and the company began selling off parcels in 1848. John Marland and John Howe Jr. owned the large parcel along Centre St. (now Center St.) and auctioned off 35 lots on July 28. 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbott and Porter of Boston.
Samuel Abbott of Boston and William Abbott of Andover followed suit with their property on Oak and Tewksbury Streets and began auctioning of lots on April 5, 1848. The greater portion of the village center was developed at this period of time. George Hunt purchased lot #23 from the Abbots at Auction. George took a mortgage from Samuel Abbot for $53.55. on that day. An unmarked house at this location appears on the 1848 Darracott map of Ballardvale and on a 1856 Ballardvale Village map is clearly marked G. Hunt.
George Hunt was born in England, Lancashire Co. about 1819, son of John & Mary (Wood) Hunt. George married in England on Oct. 28, 1840 to Sarah Buckley b. July 1, 1820 in England. George & Sarah arrived in America in 1845 with at least two children; William b. Mar. 12, 1842, George b. Feb. 1845 - July 10, 1846 age 1y 6m in Andover. They had a daughter Mary Jane who died Sept. 1, 1852 and sons John Abel b. Oct. 30, 1846 and Edward Buckley baptized on Nov. 4, 1849. His wife Sarah died in childbirth on June 2, 1853. George re-married on Feb. 3, 1855 to Mary Finn and they had four children; Joseph Henry b. Dec. 15, 1855, Mary Jane b. June 11, 1857, Sarah Ellen b. Sept. 1859 and George b. July 1862.
Andover historian Charlotte Helen Abbott states that "Hunt learned the shoemaker's trade after he came to the States and in 1854 had a shoe store in Sander's Block in Lawrence; in 1858 was in a building owned by John Frye; in 1859-1860 to Stott's place on River St. [Ballardvale]. He fell from a staging at Scott's and died on June 23, 1863."
Andover Vital Records state death at 46 years of spinal disease. George occupation was listed as "Shoemaker" when he married Mary Finn. Census records give operative and watchman. His Widow Mary and children would inherit the property. The house would remain in the Hunt family another 14 years.
Mary (Finn) Hunt would remarry in Lowell, MA on June 7, 1865 to James Riley of Lowell, b. 1836 in Ireland, son of James & Catherine Riley. It would be the second marriage for both. The Hunt children, William & John A., of Worcester, Edward B. of Natick, and Joseph L. Hunt of Andover would later sell the property to Thomas Howell, Executor of Mary (Hunt) Riley's estate. The property was sold at public auction in August to Joseph L. Hunt for $850. Joseph then sold to Howell on Sept. 1, 1877. Howell, a businessman, built the "Howell Block" at 14 Park St. in Andover. This home was strictly investment property for Howell.
Howell kept the house for two years then selling to Ephram J. Day on Jan. 24, 1879 and a month later Ephram placed the deed in his wife's name, Emma A. Day, on Feb. 27, 1879. Emma Day sold two years later to Patrick Horan on June 29, 1881. The property remained with the Horan family and their heirs for another 100 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
Marland & Howe map Ballardvale Center - house and store lots July 1847
Ballardvale Machine Shop Corporation May 1848 - Franklin Darracott Engineer
Poore, Dr. Alfred A.: Genealogical - Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass. in the year 1863, Essex Institute Historical Collection vol, 47-49
Enclosure: map of Oak Street Properties, Progression of Ownership
Andover maps; 1852, 1856, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
Andover Assessor's Office, Andover MA
Andover street directories
William Abbot and Samuel Abbot - April 5, 1848 land lots on Oak St
George Hunt - Apr. 5, 1848 - at auction - lot 23 -
George Hunt - May 8, 1848 - b. 397 leaf 64 - Mtg. $53.55 from Sam. Abbot
George Hunt estate, wife Mary - June 23, 1863 - probate, Hunt heirs
Mary (Finn) Hunt and children - 1863
Mary (Finn) Hunt Riley - June 7, 1865, wife of James
Mary (Finn) Hunt Riley estate, Thomas Howell, Extr. - April 9, 1877 - Probate
Thomas Howell from William Hunt & John A. Hunt Aug. 14, 1877 - b. 48 p. 92 - $17.
Thomas Howell from Edward B. Hunt - Sept. 4, 1877 - b. 48 p. 93 - $9.
Joseph L. Hunt - Aug. 1, 1877 - b. 49 p. 30 - $850. at auction
Thomas Howell - Sept. 1, 1877 rec. 11/5/1877 - b. 49 p. 31 - $850
Ephram J. Day - Jan. 24, 1879 - b. 54 p. 162
George Foster - Feb. 25, 1879 - b. 54 p. 372
Emma A. Day, wife of Ephram J. - Feb. 27, 1879 - b. 54 p. 372-373
Patrick Horan - June 29, 1881 - b. 64 p. 219
John O'Connell - Dec. 23, 1894 - b. 144 p. 181
Mary Horan, wife of Patrick - Dec. 23, 1894 - b. 144 p. 180
Catherine T Horan - Aug. 19, 1904 - b. 214 p. 277
Catherine T. Horan estate, Alice H. Dumont heir - Probate #233258
Alice H. Dumont and Jane D. St. Amand - b. 1107 p. 234
Alice H. Dumont estate, heir dau. Jane D. St. Amond - June 17, 1964 - Probate
Jane D. St. Amond - Oct. 23, 1968 - b. 1117 p. 274
Jane D. St. Amand & Richard H. St. Amond
Jane D. St. Amand - Feb. 25, 2014 - b. 13815 p. 194
Jane D. St. Amand estate Richard H. St. Amond - Oct. 27, 2014
Scott T. & Paula Redfern - Mar. 23, 2015 - b. 14166 p. 207
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||George Hunt - Patrick Horan House|
|Original Use||mill house|
|Construction Date||mid 19th century, ca. 1858|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs,Andover Assessor's Office|
|Wall/Trim||asbestos shingles; wood, wood shingles (1996)|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, asbestos shingles cover original clapboards|
|Map and parcel||138-38|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth A. Sharpe (Andover Historical District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 1996, 2/10/2017|